RIP NASCAR Driver David Pearson: 1934-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP NASCAR Driver David Pearson: 1934-2018

Another legend took his last lap. Sounds like he and Richard Petty were formidable by friendly competitors; 'good to hear that:

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Rest in peace, David...I met and had conversations with him at several car shows over the years. Always polite, courteous, and always smiling. What some might interpret as somewhat aloof, was his humility, complicated by hearing loss common to race drivers of his era. Loss of hearing is a very insidious unseen disability that often results in isolation due to the difficulties when one is unable to communicate clearly. It works both ways, as the sufferer fails to hear, or misunderstands, and the person speaking is unaware of hearing difficulties. Hearing loss creates awkward moments that further compounds a persons ability to enjoy the company of strangers and discourages one from participating in public outings.

I have met several race drives from the era. Some famous, (Like one of the first woman stock car drivers, Louise Smith) others not so much. Almost all seem to suffer from hearing loss. So, anytime you encounter one of these folks, keep that in mind. Never feel slighted if someone louder, clearer speaking, gains their attention. There have been occasions where I have had conversations with Bud Moore, Cotton Owens, and others, and never knew it until someone told me who they were afterward. I believe most of them were more comfortable driving or turning wrenches than they ever were in a crowd of clamoring fans. Certainly, David Pearson was.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I live in the same town as Pearson. One night I had the pleasure of watching a baseball game and having a few beers with him. He introduced himself as "David", no mention of his fame, and I said nothing to indicate I knew who he was. We were just two guys watching a ball game.

The word on him around town is that he was a genuinely nice guy who contributed his time to any worthy cause that could use him.

I cannot recall anything negative ever being said about him.

I also had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Joe Frasson who spent his NASCAR career in low budget cars for which he was the mechanic, tow driver, parts chaser and driver. He never won a major race, but he was doing what he loved. Joe was a truly special guy, who, like Pearson, was always available for any civic event that could use his help.

There are other retired, semi-famous drivers here. I have had the misfortune of spending time with two of them who were/are complete jerks. They wouldn't make a patch on Pearson's XXX.

Comment

Working...
      X