FRAUD ALERT! old scammer is at it again BEWARE OF ROGER COOPER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAUD ALERT! old scammer is at it again BEWARE OF ROGER COOPER

Proving once again that if a deal seems too good to be true it may be just that. In August 28, 2018 there was a post on this SDC forum about an offer of sale to one of our members for a 1963 Avanti. Posted for us by new member (VtMike Champion Member Join Date Aug 2018 Location Central Vermont Posts 10 )

VTMIKE didn't fall for it either but did post the incident for us here.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Avanti-Search

Reading in part: OK - I got another email from my friend Roger Cooper who says he has a '63 Avanti for sale. I can't really understand the specifics of the arrangements he is describing, but it sounds mighty convoluted, and the warning bells and whistles are going off in my head. He sent pictures of a great looking R2 Avanti but I don't think this thing is real. Anybody got an opinion?

Mike got lots of opinions from our membership. Run....don't walk to the nearest exit! That offer was bogus.
    So too was the one for a 1934 Plymouth Coupe that I followed up on.

No....I didn't fall for the scam. As a retired cop, i new this thing smelled very funny right away. But, in trying to prove that it truly was a scam, I Google Searched the name of the seller (Roger Cooper). Small world time....the search revealed a scam previously noted on this forum at SDC.! The scam was presented that we would deal with a third party transport company because Roger was out of the country. The transporter would act as the intermediary for Roger. I was to ''register" on line with the transport company and they would then send me directions on how to wire transfer money to pay for the car. The scam went almost exactly like the one noted in the previous forum here. Well worth your time to read that prior post. You will see some gramatical errors. These were also noted on the e mails I got. And, in the voices in the phone call I made to the "Transport Company"

I checked with law enforcement in the WA state area where the car was supposedly located. Surprise! Bad Address! Several complaints already were known about the scam in this somewhat remote middle WA State location. i tried to get the FBI involved as this is an internet fraud. Waited and waited on the FBI "Hot Line" to report crimes. Gave up after 50 minutes on hold.

I am posting this here, and on the HAMB website as a reminder to all. I think this Roger (obviously not a real name) looks for cars pictured for sale on line. Then has a series of pictures and a complete vehicle description to send to people inquiring about a given car.

For the good of the order

Chief Blaze

I just wish there was a way to turn the Tables on the dudes.

Comment

I would hope this is not the Roger Cooper who was one of my teachers in HS in the early 80s!! Think he was history and philosophy. He later went into politics and was in the state legislature a couple of terms in the 90s.

Jeff in ND

Comment

More on car sale internet scam

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
        I would hope this is not the Roger Cooper who was one of my teachers in HS in the early 80s!! Think he was history and philosophy. He later went into politics and was in the state legislature a couple of terms in the 90s.
        Unless your teacher had a very distinct middle eastern accent, you can rest easy. And, I sincerely doubt that "Roger" is using his real name.

To the other reply posted: I too wish there was someone that would investigate these scams. I didn't get through to the FBI and am not sure they even do this type of investigation. Do any of the forum readers know who might do so?

I neglected to post where I first saw the listing for the 1934 Plymouth. It was/and is listed here:
        https://usclassifieds4all.com/detail..._source=Trovit

There are lots of cars listed on that site. There is no "Contact Us" info. to report this to the owner of the site though (except by e mail). When you click the listing for a car, it directs you to send an e mail to the owner. This site may be very legitimate (I don't know). But is sure lends itself to abuse by scammers. I am reluctant to send the site administrator an e mail to advise them. Not sure who they are.

I sent the "Owner" of the car an e mail. DUHHHHHHHHHHH! And, got a return e mail from "Roger Cooper". Almost identical to the one sent to our Forum Member regarding the Avanti. Wish I had known about that post before I sent my e mail.

In that prior post on this forum, one of our Forum members recalled seeing the 1963 Avanti listed elsewhere on the internet. It would be very good to know who the actual owner of this 1934 Plymouth is. They need to know their car ad is being hijacked. I posted a picture of the 34 Plymouth below. Cream colored 2 door coupe, Chevy Mill, very distinctive cutout pattern in the side hood panels.

More when I know more. Yes! I contacted Norton and scrubbed my laptop. (Three Times). Also blocked any e mails from "Roger".
        Attached Files

Comment

Try running the Plymouth pic through Tineye?
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Anyone ever see the Craigslist ads where the car is said to be local..., and yet the pictured foliage and house style in the background are completely out of the element of the said location?
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Anyone ever see the Craigslist ads where the car is said to be local..., and yet the pictured foliage and house style in the background are completely out of the element of the said location?
              Yup, same with some construction/farm equipment. Often with stupidly low prices for what it is, like 10-20% of the going rate. Then find the same item/pix on the listings for another city too.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I came across a cars for sale post and to my surprise my truck was posted in their heading .knew because the eyes were in truck , plus mine is one of a kind. Wondered why , but went no further . As far as I know , my pickup has never been for sale , even thou I have had some offers
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Maybe he is really D.B. Cooper.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X