Gasket remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Gasket remover

Have you found anything effective for softening an old gasket that's stuck to a cast iron block like chrome to a trailer hitch?

Hi Tom, long time no hear! Did ya find anything out there besides CORN?

How about Studebakers, got any left?

I usually just scrape them off with a putty knife or hard ones a chisel like gasket Scraper and the worst cases a Wire brush or Power Wire Wheel. All Studebaker Gaskets are available New, so no need to save them.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I also use a putty knife or razor blade. A couple years ago I cleaned up an engine with oven cleaner from the Dollar Tree store. 2 cans did a great job of removing old oil, dirt, most of the paint, and some of the rust. It would likely do a good job on softening the old gasket. I've used a propane torch in the past to burn off stubborn gaskets.

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	61BS9efx7eL._SL1499_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1724358
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I knew I'd seen a can of gasket remover someplace! Thanks, Jeff. I wound up using an old pocket knife and kept rubbing the stubborn paper with an acetone dipped rag.

Rich, we've loved living in Iowa - thanks to a good furnace and a/c - but we're planning a move back to Kent, WA due to family reasons.

Comment

Working...
            X