Thread: Happy Birthday Marines!

Thumbs up Happy Birthday Marines!

Happy Birthday Marines!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    What a great photo Jeff! This photo was obviously on a base somewhere with that heavy equipment in the background. I love your Sunday dress up suit! Is this for Veteran's Day tomorrow? Your Studebaker looks terrific.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    What a great photo Jeff! <snip> Is this for Veteran's Day tomorrow? <snip>
    Bill
    (copy)
    The official birthday of the United States Marine Corps is on 10 November 1775.
    That was the day when the Second Continental Congress established the Continental Marines with the following decree:[1]

“That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines. ”
    Tun Tavern, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is regarded as the birthplace of the Corps as the location of the first Marines to enlist under Commandant Samuel Nicholas, though it is disputed if a recruiting drive may have occurred earlier at Nicholas's family tavern, the Conestoga Waggon [sic]. When the Revolutionary War ended in 1783, the Continental Navy was disestablished, and with it, the Continental Marines. The Corps was re-established on 11 July 1798, when the "act for establishing and organizing a Marine Corps" was signed by President John Adams.]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

The ONLY branch of the military to be created in a tavern.
    A Marine friend of mine said, "Yep! 243 years; and still no progress."

Silver Hawk Member
    Semper Fi all you other jarheads.
    And I mean that from the deepest part of my heart.
    sals54

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Semper Fi to all my fellow Marines.

Sgt. Forrester, USMC. '65-'68. Parris Island, Cherry Point, Camp Pendleton, Iwakuni, Da Nang, Camp Pendleton (again).
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

President Member
    Hey Jerry we almost match!

Sgt Krewer, USMC. '71 - '75. San Diego, El Toro, Iwakuni, Bien Hoa, Santa Ana, Camp Pendleton.

Hoo Rah!

President Member
    Yes, happy birthday to the Marine Corps. We celebrate that every year at work. I have spent a significant part of my working career supporting Marine Corps programs. Thanks to all of you who have served!
    David L

President Member
    Well, I wasn't in the Marines but three years in the Army with the following Assignments beginning with the Airborne & Electronics Test Board at Fort Bragg, A year in the tropics with MACV and finishing up with about nine months with the 116th INTC Group in Washington, DC of which the last was a plain clothes assignment...

ArmyMaterielCommandPatch.pngMACVpatch.jpg23rdSWADpatch.jpg116thINTCgroupPatch.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 11-10-2018 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Wrong patch and for some reason cannot delete