Thread: 1954 Coupe in Wisconsin, Survivor or Restored?

1954 Coupe in Wisconsin, Survivor or Restored?

The Craigslist ad calls this a survivor. I thought it was restored when I first saw the pictures.
    If it is a true survivor, then it's the nicest survivor I've seen.
    Now I'm not sure, but either way it sure is a beautiful car, and I sure wish I owned it.

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto...736296422.html

Silver Hawk Member
    Somebody should go take a peek at this one. If it's indeed a survivor, it's worth every penny of the asking price. Could even be a money maker at auction. Survivors are selling well right now.
    sals54

Looks like a Serious Survivor! A Time Machine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Nice car, to bad it's a 6 banger.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    Comparing the under hood paint to the outside,and seeing a painted door latch,I'm guessing it's been repainted. Great looking car though!
    Oglesby,Il.
    Buy a smart car,I need your gas.

It doesn't have the light wear that you would expect even at that mileage. The car may be mostly original, but unless the pictures make it look better than it is, I think it has had some restoration. In any case, it is a really nice looking car.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Golden Hawk Member
    That is a very nice car, especially at that asking price.
    I do believe that it has had paint work (look at the door jamb and the two-tone split) and it has incorrect front bumperettes.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    That is a very nice car, especially at that asking price.
    I do believe that it has had paint work (look at the door jamb and the two-tone split) and it has incorrect front bumperettes.
    I think you're right. I too looked closer and saw what appears to be some overspay under the hood. The door latch is unmistakable. (though, we may be able to make some exception for a 'long ago' repair?) I don't know. If a car had some minor repair done early in its life, does it still count as "original" all these years later?
    sals54

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    If I had $12,000, I'd be on my way to Wi. I have a 6.0 Ls/4L60 that's not in use at the present time.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Geez.......I might have to buy it to make sure it stays stock. LOL

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    If I had $12,000, I'd be on my way to Wi. I have a 6.0 Ls/4L60 that's not in use at the present time.
    Ooohhhh, I like where your brain is going. We're still debating how soon to put the 6.0 LS/6 speed into the Avanti. Not if, but when.
    sals54

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    Ooohhhh, I like where your brain is going. We're still debating how soon to put the 6.0 LS/6 speed into the Avanti. Not if, but when.
    Oh, there's no way I'd modify that little Champion.

Not before I got it home anyhow.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

President Member
    What's missing, and what has to be present, is ownership documentation, and a paper trail which can validate any claim of the current owner as to the car's history and condition. Paint is probably the toughest thing to maintain and the most important part of a car's survivorship. You sure can't tell about this car's paint with a couple of snapshots. Failing either a hands on inspection or paper trail it becomes a guessing game, or maybe a crap shoot. IMO at that price no one should really care, it is what it has become, and seems to be well worth the money.

Interesting. My father has a 54 Commander hardtop with the exact same color combo in Minnesota.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Silver Hawk Member
    Agree, it's a beautiful car, but having lived with Studes since they were new, I don't see "survivor" in this one. Well worth the money if one wants a stock Champion.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Yes it seems that when someone buys a car and does not ask a lot of questions or is just not told much History, or do not share it, they have no clue, so they just make up their own!

It's ALL Original !

It's a Survivor !

Just out of a Time Capsule !

Has only 50,000 Miles !

A Barn Find !

Speedster Member
    In case anyone is interested not mine but seems nice. https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...725005299.html

Very nice, but I think it needs a little more red.
    Quote Originally Posted by CKOT View Post
    In case anyone is interested not mine but seems nice. https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...725005299.html
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    Geez.......I might have to buy it to make sure it stays stock. LOL
    Oh, you poor misunderstood martyr! You'd actually be willing to endure soo much Suffering, Without any expectation of graditude, Only for the benefit of everyone else?

Thank you, Soooo Very much!!! LOL indeed.

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKOT View Post
    Gorgeous car. If I didn't already have one, I could be very tempted. But then I'd have to put a Gold Metalflake paintjob on the top. A little too much red for me.
    sals54

Even if partially restored it still had to be a survivor.

Looks nice! I'm tempted but the last thing I need is another car!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    What's missing, and what has to be present, is ownership documentation, and a paper trail which can validate any claim of the current owner as to the car's history and condition. Paint is probably the toughest thing to maintain and the most important part of a car's survivorship. You sure can't tell about this car's paint with a couple of snapshots.
    Ownership documentation going all the way back, for an entire exsistance 64 - 65 years, is extremely rare. It's easiest to see the vehicle's condition, when it's in front of you, on a sunny day. Very few of us are able to do that, at this point, with this vehicle. No, I can't tell everything about this car's paint, from the snapshots. But, I do see quite a bit and it's very nice. It's all very close to the way it would have been originally. Except for the condition of the paint on the firewall, below the seam, just below the body tag. This section of paint appears slightly more faded, it has more patina, than all the rest that's shown. This, and the painted door latch, make me reasonably certain that this car has been repainted, at some point. Then there's the interior, with carpeting. This car is a Champion, Deluxe, Starlight coupe, which came Standard from the factory with rubber floor mats! Which, I don't believe, have ever been reproduced. It's been quite a while, since I've seen any of these rubber floor mats, surviving to the day, in any kind of decent shape! I doubt there were very many Deluxe Starlight coupes, that were ordered, from the factory, with the carpets as extra cost options. But if this car was ordered that way? It'd be easy to verify with a copy of the production order. Also, I've seen a couple illustrations, of what I believe should be the exact same interior, in the factory '54 sales brochure. What's visible of the stitching pattern used on the fabrics of the front seat cushion, seems different than the stitching I remember seeing in the broshure. Then there's the trunk mat, which is an obvious reproduction and not even made of the correct material. I'm not certain but I also doubt that spare tire covers were available in '54? It doesn't really matter, whether or not the seller is aware of what the actual truth is. Completely original survivor, I doubt it? Perhaps partially restored to original, would be the a better definition? To me, it seems to be a very nice Stude, in good drivable condition, at a very reasonable price.

Mark
    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 11-12-2018 at 07:25 PM.

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).