No announcement yet.

Avanti Radio Static?.....Modern Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BINGO!...maybe....I'll track down this lead and post the results...Thank You Jeff
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

notice comment on their website "after you've checked all grounds". your pro tuner upset a ground connection- or put in a bad capacitor
      1951 Custom
      1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
      1962 Champ
      1963 Standard R1 4 speed
      1963 Avanti R1
      1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
      2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Thanks Jeff....added to my list of suggestions.....going to solve this!!!.....will post results soon.....I hope....
        Originally posted by jgrohs View Post
        notice comment on their website "after you've checked all grounds". your pro tuner upset a ground connection- or put in a bad capacitor
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Update: Original shop has hired a new service manager and new mechanic both with "electrical experience" and has agreed to re-examine the issue....results to follow.....
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Things for them to check
            -evidence of sparking inside the distributor cap
            -plug wire shielding not grounded properly
            -Is the noise coming from plug wires or alternator?
            -radio poorly grounded
            -antenna lead shielding bad or antenna plug loose or corroded
            -proper type of plug wires
            -distributor cap and rotor are a matching set? I have seen Chevrolet caps and rotors of two different heights. Putting a low rotor inside a tall cap made the spark have to jump way too far. Putting a tall rotor in a short cap would immediately break one or both parts.

You should print out this list for them, to make sure they hit it all.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-26-2018, 01:20 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Roy....I'll post the results.....
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                Time for a Radio upgrade in my 79 Avanti II.....talked to a guy in a automotive audio shop about upgrading to modern AM/FM (w/blue tooth) in my Avanti.....he said that the modern units do not require the shielding to prevent static issues in fiberglass bodies....is he correct ....any experiences out there.....?
                I was reading your post and answers to your string "Why do the Studebaker gods...." and looked up your history and came up to this post. Well, I had a 63 Avanti R2-4212 http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...x07052017.html for 20 years starting around 1992 and replaced the speaker about 5 years later [Studebaker gods must have had a hand in the installation difficulties] and as I recall, had only minor problems with ignition noise. Of course, I could not hear radio when the car was running on the road because of engine/supercharger noise, and it was too hot to drive in the summer unless windows were down and going 60 mph, and again, wind noise plus above engine noise....etc . Finally sold it around 2012 for exactly the same price I paid for it in 1992 [$12,000] after spending about $500 per year in expenses [12 sets of spark plugs, one set of power steering hoses, deteriorated rubber gas line connector to fiberglass gas tank, removing & cleaning tank, brake disks and shoes, etc.]

This gets me to my 64 Avanti R1-5213 http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...5213x0914a.jpg with factory air, and of course no supercharger. The radio worked well until it quit, and then I decided it was not worth the effort to remove the air conditioner unit to remove, repair, and replace the radio [and probably a new speaker]. Maintenance expenses were just about the same as on the R2 except it doesn't foul spark plugs and no problems with gas line [yet] but I did have a $10 electric fuel pump put in adjacent to the fuel tank, and I have not had to tune it like the R2, which never seemed to run right the high altitude [over 5,000 feet]. I replaced the stock mufflers with "Holllywood glass packs" which are so loud I don't miss having a radio.

You could consider just using your smart phone with ear buds and stream your music or listen your collection on the SD card on your phone.
                sigpic
                Jack, in Montana

Comment

Ear buds are dangerous to use while driving and are illegal in many states. They should be illegal in all states.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I agree with Roy....that's not the solution for me. The shop that did the tune-up has hired a new "electrical guy" and a new service manager.....they have agreed to check it out again....hopefully "fresh eyes" will help.....
                    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Ear buds are dangerous to use while driving and are illegal in many states. They should be illegal in all states.
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

What does the shop say? I imagine more than one of us is curious as to the solution.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-07-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED: After a much frustration, trying many of your suggestions the problem has been solved....seems that after I removed the antenna splitter and replaced the tip on the antenna cable and connected directly to the radio.....​no more static!......YIPPIE!

Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM.
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                        X