Thread: Avanti Radio Static?.....Modern Radios

Avanti Radio Static?.....Modern Radios

Time for a Radio upgrade in my 79 Avanti II.....talked to a guy in a automotive audio shop about upgrading to modern AM/FM (w/blue tooth) in my Avanti.....he said that the modern units do not require the shielding to prevent static issues in fiberglass bodies....is he correct ....any experiences out there.....?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I have an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in my '70 Avanti and no ignition shielding...no ignition noise at all. I think it comes down to buying a quality stereo and you shouldn't have a problem. I would advise to not buy a Custom AutoSound unit as they're not of the best quality and probably have little to no filtering capability.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Speedster Member
    I've had my radio on my '63 Avanti R2658, rebuilt by Bill Newman, "Bill the RadioGuy" in Shelton, WA. He chipped it to play MP3, Blue tooth, iPhone, and FM. It worked perfectly once. Sent it back & he did it again. Works outside of the car, but once installed., NADA, Silencio. You can hear that it's energized and I've traced the antenna, the power, everything but no sound. I apologize if this is considered "highjacking" but anybody have any ideas?
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Silver Hawk Member
    It's possible you have so much RF noise present that it has swamped the front end of the receiver, and AGC has cut the receiver gain to essentially zero. I would also look at the antenna and its cable.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

If one changes out the radio in an older car the speaker(s) MUST match the output impedence required by the new radio. Older speakers were 10 ohm. New radios require 4 and sometimes 2 ohm speakers. You will fry the output transistors of your radio if the impedence is not correct.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    I had Roy Yost (Radio Roy) convert the '63 Avanti radio a couple years ago and it works perfectly, without any shielding or with it. Maybe the workmanship or conversion parts used is suspect. I have nothing but praise for Roy's work! Bill

Can you tell us the brand and model please.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I have an Alpine AM/FM/CD player in my '70 Avanti and no ignition shielding...no ignition noise at all. I think it comes down to buying a quality stereo and you shouldn't have a problem. I would advise to not buy a Custom AutoSound unit as they're not of the best quality and probably have little to no filtering capability.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I'm out of town at the moment. I should be able to check the model number once I'm home on Monday. I also had installed Alpines of a similar model in a '69 and '78 Corvettes I owned without noise issues...but both those had shielding where my Avanti doesn't.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    Time for a Radio upgrade in my 79 Avanti II.....talked to a guy in a automotive audio shop about upgrading to modern AM/FM (w/blue tooth) in my Avanti.....he said that the modern units do not require the shielding to prevent static issues in fiberglass bodies....is he correct ....any experiences out there.....?
    I have a Sony unit in my 83 and a Chinee double Din video unit in my 74, both with Pioneer speakers. I use good speaker wire, the engines have resistance plugs and wires and electronic dissy's with no points. I get local AM, which I don't listen to much and FM without inteference from the engine. IAH, I haven't driven the 74 much but the 83 has seen a few miles. The antenna's are glass mounted, amplified ones.

If that's his recommendation, then come to an agreement on price installed with the agreement that it needs to work as described then drive on enjoying your tunes. There's a fair bit of knowledge about interference these days so let him demonstrate it.

Personally, I don't plan to be able to hear much over my exhaust on my 74 but that's just me.

Bob
    , ,

Can you tell us the brand and model please.....
    It's an Alpine model CDE-9874. It's been in the car for ten years or more so it's likely been superseded by a newer model.

Thank You....I'll search for one. Is it in-dash unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    It's an Alpine model CDE-9874. It's been in the car for ten years or more so it's likely been superseded by a newer model.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

There are marine "black box" stereos, that mount remotely like in the trunk. Only the remote control is placed somewhere to control it. (like in the console compartment, or ashtray).
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Thank You....I'll search for one. Is it in-dash unit?
    Here's a pic of the Alpine in my Avanti. The opening needs to be modified as it has no knobs and a filler piece had to be fabricated. It was done over ten years ago when the car was being rebuilt and the dash was out. I would think removing the dash is the way to go with this modification. I have seen Avantis with a new type radio installed in the console where the a/c evaporator would be but obviously it has to be a no a/c car.

Thanks.....looks good!
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Speedster Member
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

BINGO!...maybe....I'll track down this lead and post the results...Thank You Jeff
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Speedster Member
    notice comment on their website "after you've checked all grounds". your pro tuner upset a ground connection- or put in a bad capacitor
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

Thanks Jeff....added to my list of suggestions.....going to solve this!!!.....will post results soon.....I hope....
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrohs View Post
    notice comment on their website "after you've checked all grounds". your pro tuner upset a ground connection- or put in a bad capacitor
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Update: Original shop has hired a new service manager and new mechanic both with "electrical experience" and has agreed to re-examine the issue....results to follow.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Things for them to check
    -evidence of sparking inside the distributor cap
    -plug wire shielding not grounded properly
    -Is the noise coming from plug wires or alternator?
    -radio poorly grounded
    -antenna lead shielding bad or antenna plug loose or corroded
    -proper type of plug wires
    -distributor cap and rotor are a matching set? I have seen Chevrolet caps and rotors of two different heights. Putting a low rotor inside a tall cap made the spark have to jump way too far. Putting a tall rotor in a short cap would immediately break one or both parts.

You should print out this list for them, to make sure they hit it all.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-26-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Thanks Roy....I'll post the results.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I was reading your post and answers to your string "Why do the Studebaker gods...." and looked up your history and came up to this post. Well, I had a 63 Avanti R2-4212 http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...x07052017.html for 20 years starting around 1992 and replaced the speaker about 5 years later [Studebaker gods must have had a hand in the installation difficulties] and as I recall, had only minor problems with ignition noise. Of course, I could not hear radio when the car was running on the road because of engine/supercharger noise, and it was too hot to drive in the summer unless windows were down and going 60 mph, and again, wind noise plus above engine noise....etc . Finally sold it around 2012 for exactly the same price I paid for it in 1992 [$12,000] after spending about $500 per year in expenses [12 sets of spark plugs, one set of power steering hoses, deteriorated rubber gas line connector to fiberglass gas tank, removing & cleaning tank, brake disks and shoes, etc.]

This gets me to my 64 Avanti R1-5213 http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...5213x0914a.jpg with factory air, and of course no supercharger. The radio worked well until it quit, and then I decided it was not worth the effort to remove the air conditioner unit to remove, repair, and replace the radio [and probably a new speaker]. Maintenance expenses were just about the same as on the R2 except it doesn't foul spark plugs and no problems with gas line [yet] but I did have a $10 electric fuel pump put in adjacent to the fuel tank, and I have not had to tune it like the R2, which never seemed to run right the high altitude [over 5,000 feet]. I replaced the stock mufflers with "Holllywood glass packs" which are so loud I don't miss having a radio.

You could consider just using your smart phone with ear buds and stream your music or listen your collection on the SD card on your phone.

Jack, in Montana

Ear buds are dangerous to use while driving and are illegal in many states. They should be illegal in all states.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

I agree with Roy....that's not the solution for me. The shop that did the tune-up has hired a new "electrical guy" and a new service manager.....they have agreed to check it out again....hopefully "fresh eyes" will help.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Ear buds are dangerous to use while driving and are illegal in many states. They should be illegal in all states.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

What does the shop say? I imagine more than one of us is curious as to the solution.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.