Thread: Exner 1947 "future car" and my Indy car replica at the metal shop

Exner 1947 "future car" and my Indy car replica at the metal shop

I was back at Wray Schelin's Pro Shaper shop in Charlton, Mass. for another grueling 4-day session of 9:00 am to 10:00 pm work days. We got a lot done on the tail section, forming up the last of the 10 pieces of aluminum to be welded together for the tail. Six of the pieces are now welded, though the welds still need to be sanded smooth and dollied to level the metal. The welds become invisible and no Bondo is needed. The cockpit section is pretty much done, as is the front of the car, and the cockpit edges wired to stiffen them and prevent cutting yourself when getting in.

Some of the other attendees this month worked on pieces for the 1947 Studebaker "future car" design by Virgil Exner, Sr., in 1947. Exner only made one sketch for this concept, so Wray had to work out the rest of the details. It's starting to look pretty good.

I sent my Foamcore radiator mock-up to The Brassworks in California to have them build a radiator for me. That will take 10-12 weeks. The grille shell is ready to go to Librandi's in PA for chrome plating. It's about the only piece of chrome on the car, fortunately.
    Ash Indy car front 093018.jpgwired edge 1.jpgtail section 110518 Gary.jpgvirgil exner Studebaker design 1947.jpgStudebaker future car front.jpgStudebaker future car rear.jpg
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What an absolutely radical concept car. It perfectly encapsulates the "LIFE OF TOMORROW...TODAY!" mantra of that whole time period. Lovely!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Nice work Gary! Very interesting activity. Is any of this being recorded on video?

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Nice work Gary on your Race Car, glad to see it moving right along!

"Future Car"? Wasn't that the Studebaker Corp. Car Show "Atomic Car"?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Wow, what a cool project! The 'seat' looks a little like it might not be very comfortable, though. Look like lots of nice work has been done.

You have great metal working skills. Very impressed.

Seriously supercool!!!
    Mind if I try to spread the news here in Sweden?

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Gary, fantastic pictures and really nice explanation of the work you were doing. I know when these projects are done you will be proud of the results. Thank you for the update on them.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

Speedster Member
    Gary,
    What a fun project. looks like you are doing a perfect job. Make sure you take the time to document all the work and time you are putting in on it.

Keep the pictures coming and want to see some video.

Steve
    �Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.� - Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
    '14 Boxster
    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
    '37 Dictator Coupe
    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

WOW! Gary, this race car project certainly is progressing nicely. Great work. I was thinking about this project not long ago so I am glad to see this report. Thanks for the latest update.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

President Member
    Great update Gary. You have tremendous vision and the skill set to bring it forward to fruition. I am truly envious and thrilled you are able to make it all happen.
    Keep the pics coming.
    Bill

Wow, outstanding! Gary, the dedication, drive, and determination to get this car built leaves me (mostly) speechless. This build reminds me of the guy that built a Countach in the basement of his house over a span of 17 years. Love waching the progress you have made, keep us informed. cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Gary, its good to see your dream coming along!

Are they planning to put that buck roger's show car idea on a Studebaker chassis as would have happened if it had been built back when?

Jeff in ND

Wray Schelin would like to put the Exner concept car on an electric-powered chassis, especially a Tesla one. While building the body is a big project, constructing a chassis and integrating it is another big challenge.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard

More fantastic work. You are a true craftsman.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

President Member
    Wow, I really like the Indy car replica.
    Great work, what's the drive train going to be?
    Look forward to seeing this finished.

The engine is a 250 cubic inch flathead straight 8 from a 1937 Studebaker President using a high compression head and four one-barrel carbs (Stromberg EX-23). It's going into the shop soon for its rebuild. Rear end is a 3.31 ratio axle from a 1928 Studebaker EW/GB Commander, as was used on the original Indy cars, though they had 3.07 gears which gave them 120 mph at 4000 rpm.

Lots of details in the thread I am running over at the AACA Forum under the Speedsters section: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/229361-...indy-car-build
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garyash View Post
    The engine is a 250 cubic inch flathead straight 8 from a 1937 Studebaker President using a high compression head and four one-barrel carbs (Stromberg EX-23). It's going into the shop soon for its rebuild. Rear end is a 3.31 ratio axle from a 1928 Studebaker EW/GB Commander, as was used on the original Indy cars, though they had 3.07 gears which gave them 120 mph at 4000 rpm.

Lots of details in the thread I am running over at the AACA Forum under the Speedsters section: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/229361-...indy-car-build

Thanks, will look at the build thread, raining and cold here, perfect day for reading.

Beautiful work, and that should be a smooth running fun car with the straight 8.

Looking very good Gary! I am glad to see the body shaping up. In watching your progress from afar I was wondering how you were going to do the body. Looks like you have expert help. It is very cool they are letting you participate. an excellent experience for you!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    ... Looks like you have expert help...
    I have also been following Gary's progress. Have met him and looked over some of the notes and pictures he shared with several of us at one of the York swap meets. I'm not sure of all the details, but my impression is that Gary IS one of the experts on this project. As far as I know, he has taken classes, studied, and used this project to apply the knowledge and skills gained in the process.

So Gary...my most extensive restoration project took me six years. How many years have you been on this one?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garyash View Post

That's a great build thread, thanks for giving me the link.
    I think I saw one of the original cars at the SDC international, back in,, maybe 2012.

Anyway , great build, am envious of your talent.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    I have also been following Gary's progress. Have met him and looked over some of the notes and pictures he shared with several of us at one of the York swap meets. I'm not sure of all the details, but my impression is that Gary IS one of the experts on this project. As far as I know, he has taken classes, studied, and used this project to apply the knowledge and skills gained in the process.

So Gary...my most extensive restoration project took me six years. How many years have you been on this one?
    Well, of course he is an expert now. Sorry if I came off as saying he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Well, of course he is an expert now. Sorry if I came off as saying he is not.
    And I didn't aim my comments as a criticism of your observation. But, after following Gary's postings showing his work, and then seeing some of his documentation of that work, I was very impressed.

I know that the years I have spent on my projects, doing most of the work myself, required as much effort in learning new skills (if not more) than the actual restoration work. All the time, money, setbacks, and overcoming moments of discouragement, were worth all the time that added up to years from start to completion. It was rewarding and enriched my life experience. I have no regrets.
    I think that just about everyone who throws themselves into such an endeavor values the journey through the process as much as the finished result.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Absolutely!

Cheers!

Gary... Mighty -T-Fine!
    I can see this being towed behind your Wagonaire!
    Also, my wife mentioned how much you resemble my older brother.
    My Dad was a claims adjuster for the Hartford Fire Insurance Co. His territory was Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire.
    Maybe he slipped into Massachusetts!?
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan