Hollywood car destruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood car destruction

I watched a fairly recent movie the other night starring Ben Affleck called "Live by Night". It is set in the 1920's so all the vehicles appeared to be period correct. What I have a hard time with is the apparent destruction of numerous makes and models (I'm not very good at discerning Fords, Chevrolets, Dodges and Studebakers of that era) which I'm sure they have dummies and stunt cars etc. but still they are dwindling down the survivors from one hundred years ago. It just doesn't seem right to make a movie which will be long forgotten in a very few years and consuming a diminishing supply of historical automobiles. It's not like all the cop cars used up in the "Blues Brothers" which had virtually little historical or emotional value. Just my take, but what's next, wrecking '53-55 Lowboys?.
    Bill

I wouldn't be surprised if the cars being destroyed were simply replicas. There are so many reproduction parts being made of popular early cars it seems one can build an entire example of repop parts with a chassis made for the stunts. There was an episode of "Home Improvement" where Tim "The Toolman" Taylor (Tim Allen) had a crane drop a steel beam on a Chevy Nomad and destroy it. At the end of the show he said it was a replica car they dropped the beam on.

There's probably a cottage industry in Hollywood in making and maintaining such stunt cars that get used and rebuilt as needed.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

"It's not like all the cop cars used up in the "Blues Brothers" which had virtually little historical or emotional value."

Disclaimer: I'm very fond of them, but...

I disagree; they were great cars and rust issues aside, when did you last see a big bodied run of the mill MoPar product anywhere?
      Here in the Midwest, they aren't even in the junkyards anymore.

Comment

Not having seen the movie I wonder if they are using computer graphics to do it now? No reason all CGI has to be space movies or dinosaurs.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
          ... but what's next, wrecking '53-55 Lowboys?.
          Bill
          Those are really hard to roll over; especially if they're transporting a front loader or bulldozer.
          But seriously; we DO know a Studebaker was destroyed to produce the movie "Tucker."
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Remember IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD MAD WORLD?
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Remember IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD MAD WORLD?

Remember? we're living it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                I watched a fairly recent movie the other night starring Ben Affleck called "Live by Night". It is set in the 1920's so all the vehicles appeared to be period correct. What I have a hard time with is the apparent destruction of numerous makes and models (I'm not very good at discerning Fords, Chevrolets, Dodges and Studebakers of that era) which I'm sure they have dummies and stunt cars etc. but still they are dwindling down the survivors from one hundred years ago. It just doesn't seem right to make a movie which will be long forgotten in a very few years and consuming a diminishing supply of historical automobiles. It's not like all the cop cars used up in the "Blues Brothers" which had virtually little historical or emotional value. Just my take, but what's next, wrecking '53-55 Lowboys?.
                Bill
                What's a lowboy?
                Oh yeah, it's a trailer that hauls heavy equipment.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I have a huge "speaker" for the roof... just waiting to find the Mopar to install it on. One day I will have my Blues Brother's replica...! And people will stop and take photos...
                  Laugh Hard, Hand Tough, Lend a Hand
                  Ramblin Randy

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

On a tour of Universal Studios years ago, they had a replica of the 1947 Ford Convertible used in Back to the Future on the tour and other cars. Up close you could see it was not the real deal but with the camera, it could appear to be. I mean who wants to clean all the manure out of the car not once but twice.

Bob Miles
                      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Out here where I live, they filmed a lot of "location" scenes for The Dukes of Hazzard.

'Nuff said.
                        Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised if the cars being destroyed were simply replicas. There are so many reproduction parts being made of popular early cars it seems one can build an entire example of repop parts with a chassis made for the stunts. There was an episode of "Home Improvement" where Tim "The Toolman" Taylor (Tim Allen) had a crane drop a steel beam on a Chevy Nomad and destroy it. At the end of the show he said it was a replica car they dropped the beam on.

There's probably a cottage industry in Hollywood in making and maintaining such stunt cars that get used and rebuilt as needed.
                          I watched that episode, and having once owned a '55 Nomad, I watched with great interest.The car that the beam was dropped on,was a '55 Chevy 2 door wagon with a straight up and down "B" pillar,unlike the slanted Nomad "B" pillar. Wish I had my Nomad back, and all the other cars of my youth. Wish I had my youth back as well!

Comment

Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
                            Out here where I live, they filmed a lot of "location" scenes for The Dukes of Hazzard.

'Nuff said.
                            I've read they destroyed over two hundred 1968-1970 Dodge Chargers during that series.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              I've read they destroyed over two hundred 1968-1970 Dodge Chargers during that series.
                              I've heard similar numbers on the Chargers. Also an untold number of "police cars". Couple of the local salvage yards were covered up with both at that time.
                              Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X