Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Declining memberships

Speedster Member
    I'm new to Studebakers, but not new to the car hobby. I'm also north of 60, so not a spring chicken. I do notice that some of the things I've been working on my Hawk, is taking way longer and a bit like a chore. However, when done, I have a high satisfaction I have completed it. It just seems that I was way faster and more clever even only a few years ago. Oh well, beats the alternative. I was really into British cars and had quite a few, just never to completed any of them, but almost all ran by the time I sold them. I think every club goes through this, I mean how many of you out there want a Rover sedan? or a Sunbeam Minx? I'm sure the model T club goes through this as well. I believe it comes down to the age of those that remember these cars and desire them. I wanted one because it wasn't another Tri-5 and since I like the orphan cars, it fit the bill. My sister giving me a model of the 57 Golden Hawk planted the seed and here I am, SDC member and all.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbruner View Post
    This was my daily driver/work truck/ weekend trophy winner. Jeff, you have the 259 that was pulled from it. I have already replaced my beloved Champ with a Tacoma pickup. When was A/C invented? I love it!
    When I had my wife's shop name on the doors of the truck it brought in customers. Did I mention that the repairs were a business expense? Now that she has retired so has the truck tax write-off.
    Studebaker had factory A/C many years before the first Champ was built. A/C was first in production cars in 1939 and in Studebakers in 1955.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

It is rarely words, but actions which tell the true story. One year at the SB May meet I was introduced to a prominent Indiana SDC member. He inquired about my cars. I said I had a 61 Cruiser and a 64 Daytona hardtop. He said “that 61 cruiser is a rare car, I would like to see it. After seeing the car was lowered and had skirts and lots of pinstripes, he had nothing to say and was soon gone. The next day, I sat down at a table with him and another guy I knew. He got up and left. Same guy identified my 64 Daytona as “a beautiful car” in print but claimed it belonged to someone else. Another time I saw a prominent Michiana SDC member leaning on my car with his foot on the bumper. I told him to remove his foot, that’s an NOS bumper. He turned and looked at the car and just walked away. A friend was banned for life because a completely psychotic member made false claims against him which were later exposed. A cover up ensued. No apologies in any of these cases. A judge told me one of my modifications was a defect, even though I was entered in a modified class. And many more.

Silver Hawk Member
    That's a nice thought, but she, again, killin me with her ideas and sweet attitude, says she wants it rusty and rough on the outside, but dependable and nice on the inside. I think I've been rubbing off on her more than she may realize.
    Maybe that's cuz we have a pact. I never tell her what to do with the decorating on the inside of the house and she lets me play with ugly cars. We're a match made in heaven. The whole inside of the house is frills and fancies and flowers, but I get to do the cars. Its awesome.
    sals54

Speedster Member
    You know somehow, somebody has to complain about the person who puts a yellow hood on a red car, instead of thanking them for saving and enjoying another studebaker. Everybody should be welcomed to the club with open arms.

One of my many (too many) corny sayings is..."IF IT AIN'T FUN...I AIN'T THERE!" For reasons I will not go into here, I stumbled into the SDC in my youth carrying a lot of latent unfinished baggage from an extended dysfunctional adolescence. (And only a few days 'till my 74 birthday it continues) Somehow, from my early awkward days, despite some embarrassing experiences, my overall SDC involvement has been one of establishing friendships, enjoyment, entertainment, motivation, and quality of life enrichment. In other words...it's been FUN!

To me...the experience of our car hobby should boil down to the FUN. One of our words for describing anyone who enjoys vintage cars is an enthusiast, which is to say enthusiasm results in FUN! Humans are creatures who find comfort in sharing their interests with others when it is FUN. No matter what the activity, people will always participate as long as the experience is rewarding, enjoyable, and results in FUN!

SOMEHOW...we need to accept the challenge of figuring out how to emphasize the objective of the experience to result in FUN! Not to be how "original" any particular vehicle is, or how many trophies we collect, who parks where, or what arrives on a trailer???

I spent years selling to industrial manufacturing. I can tell you (first hand) that with few exceptions, most things original is built from who submits the lowest bid, not by what is the best (or highest quality). I restored my '48 coupe with many stainless steel fasteners instead of the rust-prone cheap bolts originally installed. I have better wiring, better rust/corrosion preventative, better paint, sound deading, and other improvements you would have to dismantle the vehicle to find. I make no apologies for these improvements. The six years of work was a FUN experience. We need to focus on the FUN! Most of the FUN part will depend on the individuals participating. FUN is a choice. No one can impose FUN on you. If you can't find it within yourself to discover the FUN...then you need to find a hobby that is.

We all need to make a commitment to attend our gatherings with the attitude to contribute to the FUN! No matter what vehicle you bring, what you pack to attend, always pack your best attitude, and never forget to bring your smile. Have FUN!

Think of the saying..."If you build it they will come"...but phrase it..."If it's FUN they will come (join)!"
    Only then, do I think our continued survival will be assured and extended?
    Human nature is to avoid things that are painful, not rewarding, not enjoyable.

Make it FUN! KEEP IT FUN!

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Interesting comments, one and all....
    From a personal level.... I find that entering into retirement does indeed change one's perspective.
    A soul searching review. List of accomplishments, failures, joys, and sorrows.
    The impetus to finish what was started, knowing time is relentlessly marching on...
    Perhaps a change in hobbies suits a person. That's OK. Glad to see there is not a lot of bitterness here.

Oh, yeah... Look at your 'bucket'. Is it too big? Too small? Too full? Too empty?
    I just did all of the above and rummaged around in my bucket (WARNING! Deep-N-Hock parable coming...)
    "Is the bucket half full?"
    "Is the bucket half empty?"
    Deep-N-Hock says "The bucket is twice as big as it needs to be".....

It's what's in the bucket that counts. Is your heart in the bucket?

Speaking of buckets.. Here's what is rising to the top in my bucket!!
    October 2019... Studebaker Power! It is going to happen!
    Want to be a part of it?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Great advice, DEEPNHOCK. Doing a quick evaluation of what's in our bucket, and how important it is to us, is a great place to start. Then, deciding what we have the time, energy, and finances for, can come next. The Engine Masters Challenge looks like a perfect way to keep busy in retirement. I have a few years to go, before retirement, but I don't plan on parking in my easy chair. Thanks for the good advice.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
    Bob40 is right. It seems Studebaker people more so that other makes think if that's the way Studebaker built it and you change it I don't want to talk to you. What they don't seem to realize is the black Studebaker with the third bolt under the hood that is pink isn't because Studebaker thought that was best. It's because they had a huge pile of them in the parts bins and wanted to use them up and were to cheap to repaint them.

I've noticed this too, very seldom did I ever have someone telling me I had ruined my Chevys when I modified them.

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    That's a nice thought, but she, again, killin me with her ideas and sweet attitude, says she wants it rusty and rough on the outside, but dependable and nice on the inside. I think I've been rubbing off on her more than she may realize.
    Maybe that's cuz we have a pact. I never tell her what to do with the decorating on the inside of the house and she lets me play with ugly cars. We're a match made in heaven. The whole inside of the house is frills and fancies and flowers, but I get to do the cars. Its awesome.
    Sounds like my arrangement! Finally getting to a point where I can actually have time to work on my ugly cars lol
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    Great advice, DEEPNHOCK. Doing a quick evaluation of what's in our bucket, and how important it is to us, is a great place to start. Then, deciding what we have the time, energy, and finances for, can come next. The Engine Masters Challenge looks like a perfect way to keep busy in retirement. I have a few years to go, before retirement, but I don't plan on parking in my easy chair. Thanks for the good advice.
    While we have diverted a bit toward the subject of retirement...allow me to offer this little tidbit of advice...

THE FEWER PEOPLE YOU TELL...THE MORE TIME YOU WILL HAVE TO ENJOY IT!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by lugamatic View Post
    You know somehow, somebody has to complain about the person who puts a yellow hood on a red car, instead of thanking them for saving and enjoying another studebaker. Everybody should be welcomed to the club with open arms.
    No one has any right to complain; especially when the FACTORY painted a few Champs with RED wheels on a YELLOW truck!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=champ

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-09-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by cultural infidel View Post
    Sounds like my arrangement! Finally getting to a point where I can actually have time to work on my ugly cars lol
    So, you must also own some Pontiac Aztecs. LOL

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    I find it strangely humorous the way these innocuous threads seem to always end in a cat fight, over an issue that only exists because of a small minority of owner's mindset. The facts are some people prefer original cars, some people prefer to alter their cars, and a small minority of both groups tend to vocally push back against the perceived proclivity of the other. I doubt that the drop in membership has much to do with this minority divide. Really the only fact that matters is that our membership is ageing and dyeing and there are not enough young people interested in Studebaker. Politicize it if you want, but the facts are not going to change.

Well said.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    Nail.... head... hit it with a sledgehammer

Funny though cause as soon as you decide to fix something to Studebaker factory specs and you start to ask those questions you will then start to get repsonces that involve modernizing.

Vis-vesa when you want to modernize folks tell you that it has worked just fine for however many years.

Interesting thought: what happens when we all have floating/flying cars and the roads are no longer maintained and disappearing. ������ bye bye factory correct restorations lol

Car are evolving and there will come a time when stock parts supply will run out.

Seems to me there are people who already have!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I will only disagree, or take issue, with one of your statements here.

"I find it strangely humorous the way these innocuous threads seem to always end in a cat fight, over an issue that only exists because of a small minority of owner's mindset. The facts are some people prefer original cars, some people prefer to alter their cars, and a small minority of both groups tend to vocally push back against the perceived proclivity of the other."

Again... Those are your words..
    Most of the time, and I do mean most of the time (please prove me wrong) that there is a negative comment made about a custom/modified/hot rod Studebaker.
    That negative comment originates from the stock purist side. Very rarely have I ever heard a negative comment about a stock Studebaker 'start' from a modified/custom/hot rod person.
    I am not trying to pick a scab. But I will point out an inequity based on a bias. Please prove me wrong. I would welcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    I find it strangely humorous the way these innocuous threads seem to always end in a cat fight, over an issue that only exists because of a small minority of owner's mindset. The facts are some people prefer original cars, some people prefer to alter their cars, and a small minority of both groups tend to vocally push back against the perceived proclivity of the other. I doubt that the drop in membership has much to do with this minority divide. Really the only fact that matters is that our membership is ageing and dyeing and there are not enough young people interested in Studebaker. Politicize it if you want, but the facts are not going to change.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-10-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    I'm not trying to prolong the war, just comment on how silly the divide is. Unnecessary comments by a few shouldn't be taken as speaking for the entire segment of our hobby. Only the thin skinned, willing to go to battle at the drop of a hat, are going make it a big deal.

Speedster Member
    It is rarely words, but actions which tell the true story. One year at the SB May meet I was introduced to a prominent Indiana SDC member. He inquired about my cars. I said I had a 61 Cruiser and a 64 Daytona hardtop. He said “that 61 cruiser is a rare car, I would like to see it. After seeing the car was lowered and had skirts and lots of pinstripes, he had nothing to say and was soon gone. The next day, I sat down at a table with him and another guy I knew. He got up and left. Same guy identified my 64 Daytona as “a beautiful car” in print but claimed it belonged to someone else. Another time I saw a prominent Michiana SDC member leaning on my car with his foot on the bumper. I told him to remove his foot, that’s an NOS bumper. He turned and looked at the car and just walked away. A friend was banned for life because a completely psychotic member made false claims against him which were later exposed. A cover up ensued. No apologies in any of these cases. A judge told me one of my modifications was a defect, even though I was entered in a modified class. And many more.

Studerodder,
    were you at the IM in Tacoma in August? You're describing what I saw in person.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topper2011 View Post
    I mean how many of you out there want a Rover sedan? or a Sunbeam Minx?.
    Before I got into Studebakers, I dabbled around with English cars. To be precise, a 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk. III and a 1979 MG Midget. Both of those things were good automobiles in their own right. I also enjoy Rovers, specifically the dignified P5 and avant-garde P6. They are superb cars from a company that should have persevered as Jaguar competition.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post

Studerodder,
    were you at the IM in Tacoma in August? You're describing what I saw in person.
    I wasn’t at Tacoma, but I’m not surprised a similar incident occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    Before I got into Studebakers, I dabbled around with English cars. To be precise, a 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk. III and a 1979 MG Midget. Both of those things were good automobiles in their own right. I also enjoy Rovers, specifically the dignified P5 and avant-garde P6. They are superb cars from a company that should have persevered as Jaguar competition.
    Did you ever watch the BBC documentary, ROVER: The Long Goodbye? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-9dVb7keM

Its worth a watch.

Craig

There's an old saying in most any volunteer club, "10% of the people do 90% of the work".
    To go along with this, I think that 10% of the people cause 90% of the problems and they may or may not be included in the workers. Too many people think they are the reason the club survives as well as it does and without them it would fold. Too many people sit back and just let those that want to run the show take control.
    I guess the bottom line is, if you don't like the way things are going, at least voice your opinion/suggestions to the people in charge. If you see nothing being done or said, those people are the problem. Somehow, some people think that being the leader of a volunteer organization gives them some sort of power. They need to realize that the amount of their paycheck is also the amount of power they really have. Perhaps it's time to vote in a change, not just put up with it. Now all you need is volunteers to steer things another direction, and that's the problem. 90% of the members would rather just follow and not make waves.
    So, there's 4 ways to proceed, One is to get involved and raise your hand. Two is to just do what you want and ignore the club for the most part. Three is to quit the club and go "Lone Wolf". The forth way is the easiest, just keep doing what you have been doing.
    I guess the moral to this is: You are in control of your car and when and where it goes and what it looks like. Remember, it's only 10% that are causing 90% of the problems, and you have the right to make snide remakes about their cars and walk away from them also.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Mom said if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    Mom said if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything.
    If I had listened to my Mom, I would have had to sell my Studebaker the first day I brought it home. She took one look at it and told me to get it off our property. So I stored it until I could get it running. I'm glad I did. And I still have it 47 years later.
    Sometimes ya gotta tell mom to mind her own business.
    sals54

Thought I would share my recent experiences. Being one of the younger guys here (55) and retired at 52. (taught high school for 30 years) I can address both subjects. I started the hobby late in 2005. I always enjoyed classics. My first vehicle was a 68 Chevy truck in high school. Although it wasn't really that old at the time. Being a teacher did not really afford me to buying and working on older things. Too busy raising a family. I am not the best mechanic, learned mainly by breaking things. one step forward, two steps back. I have modified and kept cars original. Worked on them, drove them, sold them, not good enough to finish some of them.
    This is what I have learned:
    Our church puts on a large community event called Food Truck Frenzy with a Trunk or Treat Car Show. It has food trucks, inflatables, volleyball and a trunk or teat for the kids. The event probably brings in 3-4000 people, with hundreds of kids. For the last two years I have been in charge of the Trunk or Treat. It is a great event that brings the kids and families out. I accept all cars at this event. We had 1930's through 2012 Challenger. A few clubs brought vehicles. In all we had about 75 vehicles. One of the groups that showed up was a low rider group. They brought 7 cars. The year before they brought 2. Low riders are not always well received at show events. (even though most of their cars are in better shape than the others) The reason they brought so many cars is because they felt so welcome at the event. These are families and younger guys. I limped my 51 Commander there, barely and My Volvo was there. I sent over 70 emails to the Grand Canyon Chapter to get Studebakers there. Only one other car said they would be there. He double booked(I understood and would have gone to the other event too) and could not make it and another did not have a running vehicle. The event was free on a Sunday evening. Hard to get people interested in Studebakers if they do not come. I was very disappointed.
    For the most part I have felt very welcome on the forum. You guys have solved many of my problems. I'll admit I ask redundant questions but most of you have patience with me.

As the baby Boomers die out so do the attachments to the things of our era. Those of you in your eighties do you still embrace and listen to the music from the 20's from your parents? Do we in our 50's embrace the big band from our parents in the 40's? Right now the 60-70's rock is still really in. Will it be in 20 years? My philosophy has alway been if you find a nice original car it is a shame to mess that up. But I understand making a cool rod. I have a friend who bought a 53 Champion Starliner. The only thing original on this car are the body parts. 800hp Ford Coyote engine, completely new built custom frame and the list goes on. My 53 will be mainly stock. We will proudly park them next to each other.

If we do not accept the differences and try to embrace them then we will be doomed to or own aloneness. This hobby is not cheap. Most will never get your money or time out of it. But neither is golfing at $100 a round. It is for fun. We had several military vehicles at our Trunk or Treat. It was nice to honor them. You of the guys there said one of the members has a tank in his garage. It has not been to a show because he cannot afford to take it.

I will continue to embrace all cars at my shows. You want to grow the hobby bring them all. A 93 Chevy pickup to that owner is just as proud as you are.

I used to drive my cars to school and let the classes come out and look at them. I showed pictures of the others. They loved it. They did not care the make or model. That is how you get them interested. Make them fell welcome.

Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

I just have to WONDER, WHAT do you do at a "Trunk or Treat"? Give out Halloween Candy from the Trunk of a Car?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I just have to WONDER, WHAT do you do at a "Trunk or Treat"? Give out Halloween Candy from the Trunk of a Car?
    I think it's more like give us a treat or disappear into the trunk of a car. Old Depression Reference!!! Bob
    , ,

A lot of valid comments, food for thought and certain inevitable realizations.
    And, much as it has made everything we do easier, the internet as well has made club membership less of a necessity. Non-members pretty much have access to anything they need with the click of a mouse or a Google search.
    To wit, there are even participants in this very thread who have not been members in years, and apparently suffer naught.
    Would I prefer no internet? Absolutely not. But I anticipate being a SDC member well after I receive my 50-year pin, which isn't that far off.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelshaddai View Post
    Thought I would share my recent experiences. Being one of the younger guys here (55) and retired at 52. (taught high school for 30 years) I can address both subjects. I started the hobby late in 2005. I always enjoyed classics. My first vehicle was a 68 Chevy truck in high school. Although it wasn't really that old at the time. Being a teacher did not really afford me to buying and working on older things. Too busy raising a family. I am not the best mechanic, learned mainly by breaking things. one step forward, two steps back. I have modified and kept cars original. Worked on them, drove them, sold them, not good enough to finish some of them.
    This is what I have learned:

As the baby Boomers die out so do the attachments to the things of our era. Those of you in your eighties do you still embrace and listen to the music from the 20's from your parents? Do we in our 50's embrace the big band from our parents in the 40's? Right now the 60-70's rock is still really in. Will it be in 20 years? My philosophy has alway been if you find a nice original car it is a shame to mess that up. But I understand making a cool rod. I have a friend who bought a 53 Champion Starliner. The only thing original on this car are the body parts. 800hp Ford Coyote engine, completely new built custom frame and the list goes on. My 53 will be mainly stock. We will proudly park them next to each other.

If we do not accept the differences and try to embrace them then we will be doomed to or own aloneness. This hobby is not cheap. Most will never get your money or time out of it. But neither is golfing at $100 a round. It is for fun. We had several military vehicles at our Trunk or Treat. It was nice to honor them. You of the guys there said one of the members has a tank in his garage. It has not been to a show because he cannot afford to take it.

Jim
    I'm 64, so I'm on the tail end of the Boomer generation. How dare you insult me like this. I'm deeply offended that you would suggest that I still listen to the music of the 60s or 70s.
    Hey, relax... I'm just kiddin ya.
    But, for real... I can't stand listening to the music of my youth. My playlist right now contains Green Day, Muse, Portugal, Lord Huron, Queens of the Stone Age, Offspring, Offspring again, Offspring again ( I'm really liking Offspring right now ), The Shacks and I still like Imagine Dragons.
    Maybe that's why I don't fit in with the Studebaker geezers of my generation. That, and the fact that I'm still torturing them with the mods I do to my cars.
    sals54

Golden Hawk Member
    Yes. Our town has that event (perhaps a slight variation on the name). They give out Halloween candy to youngsters and the "trunks" are judged for prizes that are awarded. Most of the "trunks" are now hatches, or whatever you want to call them, on the back of minivans, SUVs or Crossovers (CUVs) and not trunks (as my everyday car has and most Studebakers have).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Did you ever watch the BBC documentary, ROVER: The Long Goodbye? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-9dVb7keM

Its worth a watch.

Craig
    I have the video they featured on that Youtube clip, called " In the Rover Tradition". Too bad it's in VHS.

PB100244.jpg

I actually went to the Heritage Museum in Gaydon, UK so I could get the build sheet for my 1960 Rover P5 3 Litre. The Rover is long gone to a better home in Ohio, but not forgotten. They used them for the Ministry cars and the Queen had driven one in the early 60's, stick shift and all. Sorry, back to Studebakers.

I assume that elephants are involved in the festivities.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    sals54, I’m 70 and still love and listen to music of the 50’s and 60’s, have not the slightest clue to any of the artists you mentioned. I have two stock Studes, 51 Landcruiser and 57 Commander 4dr.

President Member
    Well, it is time to put this tread to bed. After a couple of months sleep, it will reawaken again with similar results with everyone sharing their thoughts and things that happened in the past and not real answer to the situation. The usual comments will cause some to be offended and they will respond and the whole things starts over.

The answer to declining membership is what we see in the mirror every morning. We can encourage by driving our cars to evoke friendly conversation, or use our cars because or whatever reason to divide and dwindle our membership.

I will go on record that the Pacific Southwest Zone meet in Palm Springs was one of the most encouraging, fun and happy events. That to me is what the future of the Studebaker Drivers Club will be and the core group we had there is the future. We have to encourage that activity. Not all the cars there were stock or perfect. Seeing Carl and Herman Thoms there with the 51 Commander R2 that Carl estimated they have driven over 475,000 miles renewed my spirit.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    sals54, I’m 70 and still love and listen to music of the 50’s and 60’s, have not the slightest clue to any of the artists you mentioned. I have two stock Studes, 51 Landcruiser and 57 Commander 4dr.
    I'm several years younger than both you guys, and the only band Sal mentioned I've even heard of is Green day, though I have no idea of the music they play. My cars are always modified too, even the two I restored first are now modified. I like to drive them and outdated mechanicals became difficult (re:scary) in todays world. I do, for the most part, keep the bodywork stock; you just never know what you'll find if you open the hood or crawl underneath though.

Green Day and Offspring aren't "new" bands. Both date from the mid-1980's, and I went and saw Green Day in 1995, which is already 23 years ago!!

Craig

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    just my 2 cents worth studebakers is getting to be a very soft market to sell cars& parts hope i can get just 1/4 out of what i still have like the cars but no buyers for cheep prices getting to old to hassal with alot of it no young people around here even want to look at one ford, chevy or mopar , like i say just my 2 cents .

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    Trunk or Treat events are a lot of fun for the kids. We started the event at our kid's school last year and it was a huge hit. Everyone decorates their "trunk" and kids walk around and trick or treat at each car. Some do scary decorations and some just fun ones. I usually go the scary route because it is halloween after all. Depending on if Wagon is running by next year or not, it will be there or the truck. Kid's are already trying to figure out how to decorate both! I have used my '13 Ford Focus hatchback the past two years. It's also fun for the parents as they socialize in the parking lot at the school while the kids run around in a safe environment.

1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Commander Member
    I've built old Fords, Chevys, and Mopars, my pops used to race in Nascar back in the day ('69-'70) in a Talladega Torino. I've been around cars all my life. And, while not pointing fingers at any specific organization, I've never seen a car culture more centered around the Grouchy Old Man complex than Studebakers. Maybe that's because I never tried to get into Hudsons or Reos...? (BTW my experiences with the Grouchy Old Man complex have been in person, and nothing to do with the club or online persons.)

President Member
    You fellas need to stop squawking about declining memberships and get on with life. Our illustrious leaders have stated that the club has hit and passed it's zenith and as a natural result is in decline. Get used to it and enjoy it while you can. You might as well set back and enjoy your Turning Wheels, as long as it arrives on time each month, just like 99 percent of the membership does. No sense in beating your head against the wall, as there are no easy answers, nothing is going to change unless the attitude of the membership and leadership changes, nothing is going to get done and what ever is circulating out there now is nonsensical anyway.

It is a sad thing to contemplate, and being the last generation (in a very long line) to remember when these things were new and still being produced, own, work on and cherish these beasts, well you get the picture of my dispair......................
    Bo