Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Declining memberships

Speedster Member

Declining memberships

Just received my November Issue of TW. Excellent issue. Interesting page of the membership from all states and provinces. Was disturbed to see the declining membership numbers. It seems as us old guys drop out, there are not enough new members. Perhaps this decline could be lowered if every time a member sold their car they would pay for a one year subscription to the SDC. for the new member.

This could be a small price to pay to help keep members.

T-Cab

President Member
    As a selling point for the car, bring out a copy of the new format Turning Wheels and tell the new owner that is for one year included in the price of the car. I actually had someone that had been a member with his dad renewed after a lapse when he saw the full color issue in the new format.

We all want someone to cherish the car as much as we do when we had it. They can take car of the new baby with SDC as the nanny to help

As another thought, if a vendor gets a new client, send out one of the SDC brochures with the return order. As vendors do sell parts to garages having the repair shops join provides a resource for them as well with each issue of Turning Wheels.

Bob Shaw is probably working on this as we speak. Don't forget in February, we will have an all vendor issue in Turning Wheels.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

President Member
    Declining membership is a common thread among all antique car clubs. I'm fortunate in that my two sons want my vintage cars. My '30 Model A Ford is now in the garage of my oldest son and my '59 Stude Lark is in my younger son's garage. I'm thrilled that my cars are still in the family. I've just gotten too old to work on the cars, but I still get to drive them. Thanks for listening to my rants.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Golden Hawk Member
    I noticed things like; only three states have had an increase in membership, New York is now sixth in membership and Florida with all of its retirees, and more population than New York, is down 22% in membership, and has fewer members than NY.

I see a drop in membership in all sorts of things, not just car clubs.

I have usually paid for a one year membership to SDC for someone that buys a Studebaker from me, if they are not already a member.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Read any number of posts about any car or truck that is modified or a potential new member with questions about modernizing a Studebaker and you have your answer.

President Member
    Agree that it's not just car clubs declining. Look at almost any group. For Studebakers, it's a whole different world out there. Most of us were able to collect Studebakers because they were cheap to buy, and you could always find one stashed in an alley or behind a garage. Those days don't exist for new younger people. They have to start out spending more money just to get into the game than we old timers did.

"Those days don't exist for new younger people. They have to start out spending more money just to get into the game than we old timers did."

I don't think that's really the issue, the same car we payed $1500 for fifteen years ago is now $4500 but everything else is 3 times the cost it was then too, wages are much higher too. The dollar is just not worth as much as it used to be.

I believe it has more to do with exposure. It seems that few "younger" people have had much if any exposure or experiance with cars at all. If it isn't computer involved there's little interest. Even "hopping up" a car these days involves tweaking it's computer instead of turning wrenches. Consider too that in the last 35 years cars have not generally been something the average guy could work on. So these younger folks haven't grown up watching fathers or neighbors work on cars. Not to mention most cars in their lifetimes look the same so there's little interest beyond transportation. Can you see an obvious difference between a '93 car and it's 2013 version? Think about a '33 car to a '53 car, or '53 to '73, or '63 to '83.

I believe the younger people simply lack the romance of the "car culture" we grew up with.

I've noticed attendance at car shows is dropping at an exponential rate too as we get older and die off. I expect there will be a lot of nice antique cars available quite cheap in 20 to 30 years, with few buyers. Of course, the trick to driving one will be finding fuel it will run on.

I think Bensherb nailed it. I'm involved in a number of mechanical hobbies - old cars, vintage motorcycles, vintage karting, old pinball machines, Gauge 1 live steam. At 50 years old, I'm one of the the "young guys" in all the groups I associate with. I have a 20 year old son who appreciates this stuff on some level, but not enough to want any of it, or to be involved. He doesn't even have his drivers license and doesn't seem to be bothered by that. He's into bicycles and rides his bike everywhere, or takes an Uber or Lyft to places locally when a bike won't do, and Amtrak to places farther out. All his friends are the same. He grew up doing the karting with me and has fond memories, and we restored an old Taco minibike for him when he was about 10, but just never took to motorized transportation as a hobby. He does wrench on and build his own bikes, so the gene manifested itself that way.

That's the gearhead aspect of it, but in terms of clubs - starting with my generation (Gen X) each successive generation are less interested in being involved with formal organizations. It's not just car clubs that are suffering, things like the Elks Club, VFW, Shriners, and other civic and church organizations are having a hard time recruiting members.

I have to confess, I am a member of SDC for the magazine. I was a member of my local chapter for a year but didn't get out to any meetings. Part of it is burnout from being an active member of both the Crosley Club, doing the design and layout for the club magazine for a number of years, and being on the organizational end of vintage karting, organizing and promoting meets, doing the newsletters and magazines and website stuff for over a decade.

The other thing is I find that with the limited free time I have, I spend it tinkering on my stuff, or driving/riding it (not nearly as much as I'd like) and relationship-wise, spending time with friends I have that aren't into the same hobbies as I am. I feel like I don't have the extra time or energy to actively participate in club activities and cultivate new friendships, even though I know things will go the way of the dodo bird without participation. I keep telling myself "maybe next year I'll become active" and it just hasn't happened.
    Last edited by voxnut; 11-07-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    As I have watched this discussion expand to include lots of other hobbies I am reminded that our model railroad club is experiencing the same problem with attracting young new enthusiasts. They are out there but in vastly diminished number that even 25 years ago. Young people today have moved on to far different interests. We got a bit of a boost when we introduced digital command and control on our train layout. Putting computer boards in the locomotives and using wireless control seemed to get their attention. But not enough to matter.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

bob40 got it right.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studerodder View Post
    bob40 got it right.
    Yup. I've been dealing with it for over 40 years. And I'm still modifying. Wait till you see what my 54 Coupe looks like in its next iteration. Coming soon, but not at a Studebaker meet. I wouldn't want to have it towed away when I wasn't looking.
    sals54

Quote Originally Posted by bob40 View Post
    Read any number of posts about any car or truck that is modified or a potential new member with questions about modernizing a Studebaker and you have your answer.
    OK. you guys seem to think bob40 got it right, what the heck did he say here ? His was the one post that makes no sense.

Does he mean the decline is due to people prefering to update older vehicles so they can be driven safely and reliably with todays traffic and road conditions.

Does he refer to the way people with questions about making an old vehicle more driveable in todays world are quickly dissmissed?

Does he refer strictly to Studebakers and this forum or "about any car or truck that is modified" in general?

If I'm guessing; I think he's refering specifically to this forum, Studebakers, and to the way anyone asking about modifying one is generally treated here. If this is it, I'd say yes, this may be one reason SDC membership may be in decline.

At any of the Studebaker event/outings I've been to there have been at least as many modified cars as stock ones. Where do the post '64 non Studebaker powered Avanti's fit in?
    Last edited by bensherb; 11-08-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Don’t forget the whole CASO thing. This is the only club I know of that is proud of being cheapskates and actually brags about it. That’s a huge turn off for a lot of people. Most come to the hobby looking to have fun, not to fret over every penny; nor to be associated with those who do.

Whether that is what is meant by CASO or not, that’s the image the club has.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    OK. you guys seem to think bob40 got it right, what the heck did he say here ? His was the one post that makes no sense.

Does he mean the decline is due to people prefering to update older vehicles so they can be driven safely and reliably with todays traffic and road conditions.

Does he refer to the way people with questions about making an old vehicle more driveable in todays world are quickly dissmissed?

Does he refer strictly to Studebakers and this forum or "about any car or truck that is modified" in general?

If I'm guessing; I think he's refering specifically to this forum, Studebakers, and to the way anyone asking about modifying one is generally treated here. If this is it, I'd say yes, this may be one reason SDC membership may be in decline.

At any of the Studebaker event/outings I've been to there have been at least as many modified cars as stock ones. Where do the post '64 non Studebaker powered Avanti's fit in?
    The way I read it was thus: For decades I drove modified and customized Studebakers. I found regular nagging and naysaying about the "non stock" nature of my cars by the old timers of the club. I grew rather tired of it. I found my cars to be much more accepted and appreciated by the folks at the generic car shows. Today I like the shows where the younger crowd hangs out. They've never seen, nor ever heard of Studebaker and are fascinated at the site of one. I've never been much of a fan of stock anyway. I know its better now than it was in the past, but it soured me. The ingrained attitude of exclusion was shown again in the deliberate disrespect of the gentlemans 52 at the International Meet this year. It's just another example of old attitudes dying hard.
    But that's just my opinion. No one else's.
    sals54

President Member
    "Most come to the hobby looking to have fun" Nail on the head. We had two weekends ago at a local park a burger and dog cookout with 14 Studebaker's parked. Fun time everyone talking about what they were doing. A few had to leave early after we eat because of ill health.

A few people at the park looked at the cars but then left for soccer and other things going on. We are trying and have 6 new members join this year. I think people are more inclined to come out to events and leave the details to the board. John Lewis, our Tourmaster/Vice President does a good job of planning events. We only have a few months of weather that will keep people from attending but for 9 months of the year, lots to do.

I am sure that the things that have been brought up in this tread are "fun killers" and many more could be brought up. What are we going to do to stop that? Face the fact that as of now, we are the future of SDC at the current time. What will that turn out at the present? How will we be 5 years from now?

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

President Member
    Agree...what Sals54 said.
    I've got 4 running or to be running Studebakers. One is a running "parts" car that is mostly stock.
    I've got three others, that are pretty far from the way it drove off the dealers lot...and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    And I also know that most folks here, are not a fan, though, I've not had anyone hassle me about it, here or at Stude shows.

Mike

President Member
    I find it strangely humorous the way these innocuous threads seem to always end in a cat fight, over an issue that only exists because of a small minority of owner's mindset. The facts are some people prefer original cars, some people prefer to alter their cars, and a small minority of both groups tend to vocally push back against the perceived proclivity of the other. I doubt that the drop in membership has much to do with this minority divide. Really the only fact that matters is that our membership is ageing and dyeing and there are not enough young people interested in Studebaker. Politicize it if you want, but the facts are not going to change.

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like I am caught at a bit of a crossroads as a very young Studebaker owner and SDC member. I guess the only thing I can do is spread the gospel and hope the congregation will become interested. Personally, I think that Studebaker still suffers from their reputation for stodginess among most people who remember them at all. Even though this is completely untrue, it definitely puts some people off owning them.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    This is the only club I know of that is proud of being cheapskates and actually brags about it. That’s a huge turn off for a lot of people. Most come to the hobby looking to have fun, not to fret over every penny; nor to be associated with those who do.
    There are other vintage vehicle clubs who have their share of members like we see in SDC. No club is immune from it.

Craig

Yup........

Silver Hawk Member
    I truly was not trying to politicize it. I'm just making those in the hierarchy know what's been happening out here in the trenches. Perhaps they are aware, perhaps not. I just got tired of having to hear about how rare my 54 Champion was and what a shame it was to have it bastardized. (a description I actually heard at a SDC show)
    Anyhoo... I've had my car and hundreds of other Studebakers through the years. I love the brand, even though I'm not infatuated with some in the club. I will continue to enjoy the "difference" in my cars in spite of what politics come from the disagreement.
    sals54

Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    Yup. I've been dealing with it for over 40 years. And I'm still modifying. Wait till you see what my 54 Coupe looks like in its next iteration. Coming soon, but not at a Studebaker meet. I wouldn't want to have it towed away when I wasn't looking.
    Can't wait to see the new version of the Coupe, and for that matter, can't wait to see the Wagon finished too. Post photos when done! cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

My post alluded to this forum although my experience with local chapters can be included.

How about looking at a calendar prior to scheduling a major SDC event and using dates that would allow a younger family to travel to the event? Many people in their 30's, 40's even older still work in the education field or have children that they won't pull out of school for a week to make a SDC event in May or October. Even some of the "elderly" members volunteer at schools and can't make the meets scheduled during the school years.
    A lot of discussion is heard that school years vary and that event costs would be higher in the summer and the roads would be more crowded.
    Basically, if you are on the side of lower cost and convenience of travel, you don't care about younger members, discussion over.

The battle over "Stock" vs "Modified" has gone on since the first time a non-Studebaker part was used on one.
    The question you need to ask yourself is: Would I take my Studebaker on a 3 or more day event and drive it, comfortably and safely. a thousand miles or more? If the answer is no, a younger member is probably going to pass on the car.

CASO is a term of endearment for the generations that bought and drove Studebakers for decades. It no longer holds true merit. Sure, you can still buy a comparable Studebaker for less then a Chevy or Ford as a project car, but the cost of repair is probably actually more. What's the cost of a 3 or 4 hundred HP crate motor vs rebuilding a Studebaker 185 HP engine? What's the cost to build a Studebaker engine to 300 HP? How many aftermarket vendors are there for parts? How many "bolt on parts" are there for the weekend mechanic?

Just more things to think about when trying to figure out WHY membership in an orphan car club is waning. If it wasn't popular then, it's not going to be popular now. How many times to we hear, right here in the FORUM, "it has too many doors"? Studebaker built it with that many doors. Embrace it and think about many of today's most popular cars......4 doors.

All we can do as members is put the product in front of the public and answer questions. Park a 53-55 Studebaker C/K next to the same era Ford, Chevy or Dodge and just stand back and look at them. Three boxes and a spaceship.

I like the interaction with the public at generic car shows more then the biased opinions I hear at SDC events. If you go to a Ford, Chevy, Dodge only event, you will hear the same type of comments from their long time members, so it's universal.

Long story made short.............we may be beating a dead horse. Enjoy it while you can.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Bob40 is right. It seems Studebaker people more so that other makes think if that's the way Studebaker built it and you change it I don't want to talk to you. What they don't seem to realize is the black Studebaker with the third bolt under the hood that is pink isn't because Studebaker thought that was best. It's because they had a huge pile of them in the parts bins and wanted to use them up and were to cheap to repaint them.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    Long story made short.............we may be beating a dead horse. Enjoy it while you can.
    For true; this discussion is a faint echo of Studebaker-Packard Board of Directors discussions in 1954. It hasn't gotten any better since then.

FWIW, what has gotten better recently is the quality of Studes at shows and IM. I've been a member since 1969 and back in the bad old days, most of the better cars were the few low mileage survivors. Hardly anyone was putting money into restorations. There are more really nice Studes today than any time in the past thirty years.

To really brighten everyone's day, getting better just before the end is known in hospice as an End-of-Life Rally.
    End-of-life journeys are complex. In some cases, a loved one’s decline suddenly and inexplicably seems to stop. They become more stable and may want to talk or even begin eating again. This period of perking up can be accompanied by such a notable change in cognition that hospice professionals have coined the term "terminal lucidity" to describe it. We grasp at what seems to be a turnaround in their health and sigh with relief. It appears as if they are going to hang on for a while, right?

Sadly, rallying is usually an indicator that death is near. Many hospice professionals have seen their patients rally shortly before death. Some patients want to talk, and some become restless and act as if they need to start preparing for a trip. Others will simply become more relaxed, yet tuned in. Still, others will show signs of physical stability when, seconds before, they seemed on the edge of letting go. A rally can last for a few moments or even days

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member
    Nail.... head... hit it with a sledgehammer

Funny though cause as soon as you decide to fix something to Studebaker factory specs and you start to ask those questions you will then start to get repsonces that involve modernizing.

Vis-vesa when you want to modernize folks tell you that it has worked just fine for however many years.

Interesting thought: what happens when we all have floating/flying cars and the roads are no longer maintained and disappearing. 😂 bye bye factory correct restorations lol

Car are evolving and there will come a time when stock parts supply will run out.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-CAB View Post
    Just received my November Issue of TW. Excellent issue. Interesting page of the membership from all states and provinces. Was disturbed to see the declining membership numbers. It seems as us old guys drop out, there are not enough new members. Perhaps this decline could be lowered if every time a member sold their car they would pay for a one year subscription to the SDC. for the new member.

This could be a small price to pay to help keep members.

T-Cab
    Membership here in Ontario has declined. However, when a member of our chapter sells a car, we give a membership to the club to the new owner. Our Hamilton SDC membership is at an all-time high at 71 and that is 71 couples. We also have the privilege of meeting at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. Just some thoughts.

1961 Flamingo Hawk

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

President Member
    When my membership comes up next spring I'm not going to renew. After 11 years of Stude ownership it's time to call it quits. It just doesn't make sense anymore to keep putting money in an old truck that needs more attention than I can give.

Now that I'm 65 and pondering retirement, I realize that I have spent $30k in purchase, repairs and improvements to a $10 vehicle. Obviously I'm no CASO but without mechanical skills the fun is over.

Some people have no clue as to why they want some things. They just want them.
    Caring for, repairing, rebuilding, rubbing on that item is more than some people want to do.
    Owning a piece of older machinery is one thing. Actually using it and running it is another thing.
    No worries.. Hopefully someone else will buy and enjoy your soon to be ex vehicle.
    What I find interesting us that you are exiting the hobby at 65, and I am looking to dive deeper into it approaching 65.
    Sometimes I think you are the smart one

Quote Originally Posted by rbruner View Post
    When my membership comes up next spring I'm not going to renew. After 11 years of Stude ownership it's time to call it quits. It just doesn't make sense anymore to keep putting money in an old truck that needs more attention than I can give.

Now that I'm 65 and pondering retirement, I realize that I have spent $30k in purchase, repairs and improvements to a $10 vehicle. Obviously I'm no CASO but without mechanical skills the fun is over.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    This was my daily driver/work truck/ weekend trophy winner. Jeff, you have the 259 that was pulled from it. I have already replaced my beloved Champ with a Tacoma pickup. When was A/C invented? I love it!
    When I had my wife's shop name on the doors of the truck it brought in customers. Did I mention that the repairs were a business expense? Now that she has retired so has the truck tax write-off.
    Last edited by rbruner; 11-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Ditto, at 71 and still having 2 or 3 projects setting around, I find that the ideas, skills and desires are still there, but the work has become more strenuous and the hours to get the job done add up quicker. I love the hobby, but I think co-mingling with the passer-bys at the car shows is even more fun then breaking my back building these hunks of junk..........lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Some people have no clue as to why they want some things. They just want them.
    Caring for, repairing, rebuilding, rubbing on that item is more than some people want to do.
    Owning a piece of older machinery is one thing. Actually using it and running it is another thing.
    No worries.. Hopefully someone else will buy and enjoy your soon to be ex vehicle.
    What I find interesting us that you are exiting the hobby at 65, and I am looking to dive deeper into it approaching 65.
    Sometimes I think you are the smart one
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

rbruner You could have spent $30k on a new truck 11 years ago and today you would be lucky if it was still worth $10k so same same. Just wouldn't have been as much fun.

President Member
    Point well taken.

Speedster Member
    I realized about 30+ years ago, a trend that tends to apply to most hobbies and several other facets of our lives, that fits this thread like a glove. In our youth, we had desires to do things with what was contemporary at that age. Some of us did those things at a younger age, while many wished they could, but dealt with life's other struggles, aka work/family. As we aged and became more financially capable, those old desires forged their way back to the forefront of our minds. In an attempt to recapture the youthful dreams, we tended to acquire the objects of our desires and the associations of those like-minded people of our generation. As we aged and for the most part hopefully accomplished the better portion of those dreams, we tended to divest of the trappings we acquired and accepted that our capabilities, whether physical, mental, or financial have diminished.

When you look at where you fall in the above scenario, you will realize it's generational. When your generation passes through each stage, it eventually disperses and leaves behind only memories and historical artifacts for the following generation. For example, the generation that were the 15-25 year-olds in 1900-1920 are gone and the horseless carriage enthusiasts disappeared along with them. For the most part, the current Studebaker enthusiasts primarily enjoy cars built between '47 & '66. If you were 15-25 during those years, others also of that age and time are part of your generation. Regardless of the generally accepted name "Baby Boomers" that most of us currently fit in, our Studebaker generation members are now aged between 67 and 96.

We can't turn back the clock. Half of us have already died and the rest don't buy green bananas anymore.

President Member
    There are lots of very god points made here. I like what Thunderations had to say. When I first joined a club in my area, I was the youngest, at 35. I wanted to make the club better and to help bring it into the future and to help make it appeal to my generation and younger!

I tried hard, I became involved, I tried to help drag (25) 60+ year old people kicking and screaming, into the computer generation. I tried to reduce costs of the club to keep dues the same. All to be told "We don't like change."

That sums up a LOT of Stude owners.

I have owned Studes since 1981, when I was 15. I sort of owned one at age 12 when Dad told me I could have the old beat up blue Lark next to the barn.

We are all a bit different from the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge folks because we like things "different" than everyone else.
    We like to chant our "CASO" mantra and hold our heads high when we say it in our martyristic way.
    We gripe because no one is interested in owning them, yet we do nothing to promote it.
    We don't drive our cars as much as we should because then we'll have to work on it, or it costs too much in gas, or we're too tired that day, but w're happy to gripe about it to everyone.

I, too, have watched some members bag on those who wanted to modify their Studes to the point it drove them out of the club.

I eventually left due to the extreme stubbornness of the older members not wanting to change to improve the longevity of the club.

Today, of the 32 members that were in this club 15 years ago when I left, there are only 6 or 8 remaining. Most have passed away. A few have moved on to other clubs, some left because they were no longer interested.

I have not rejoined a local club because I don't want the drama.

I do what I enjoy.
    I enjoy DRIVING my car. I drive it every chance I get. I average about 8000 miles per year. We have driven it on the HRPT twice (it is completely stock and we were shunned by the hot rodders because of that....yet we got LOTS of attention because it was DIFFERENT!)

Studebaker was billed as "The Working Man's Car" and was typically "more affordable" than the big 3. That fact places most of us in a "class".

Not all clubs are losing memberships. It depends on how the club operates and treats everyone.

I am a member of a Land Cruiser Club....Not a Studebaker Land Cruiser though. The Toyota version.
    This is a high end vehicle when new, so the typical owner has more disposable income, most are white-collar professional people, most pay others to work on their vehicles for them. The pay a good sum for that to happen. I bought mine cheap and I do all my own work, so I am a mechanical contributor to the forum as well as locals, because I am willing to TEACH someone how to work on their truck.

The CASO's do not like to pay for anything and be damn proud of that. They wear it like a medal of honor.

This forum is a KEY location to attracting new members. Just ask my 18 YO son. Try and find someone to rebuild a carburetor. It's cheaper and easier to buy a fuel injection unit and program the computer after you bolt it to your Stude engine.

We need to SUPPORT EVERYONE that comes here looking for help, whether it is to swap to a SBC or to restore one to factory original, or to just make one run and drive it as it is.

Each person makes their Stude their own. It becomes their personality.

The other forum I follow, there are folks that are there just to read and provide input. Others get their kicks by challenging the poster's questions. But it is an OPEN discussion, with moderators, but negative comments, as well as positive comments are allowed.

There is a segment of the forum committed to Classifieds. There is a segment dedicated to "Bad Vendors". There is a segment dedicated to "Good Vendors". It even breaks it down to show ALL clubs WORLDWIDE. It is broken down by model series. I wish I understood how that all works, and I would help make that happen here. But everyone who doesn't like change would poo-poo it.

I love my Stude. I wish we could attract more "kids" to it. I know of a place that has a number of cars that NEED to be bought, restored, and used to show the next generation. I just need to figure out how I can help that be my "retirement".......
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Speedster Member StudebakerGene's Avatar

Declining Memberships

IMG_8942.JPG

Getting harder to keep our Hot Rods on these roads without some modern intervention

Speedster Member

rbruner,
    C'mon, I'm the same age and have a'63 Avanti R2865 and dumped more $$ than you did into it. It's now just getting fun. The Mrs. is into it & that's more than half the battle. As far as the comments on the IM, which I worked in Tacoma, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge from it & chose to not even bring my car to Tacoma. More fun at smaller & local events. If I had showed up on Saturday of the meet, as I had planned, we wouldn't even have been welcomed, so who needs it. Stay small, stay local, and enjoy the ride.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post

rbruner,
    C'mon, I'm the same age and have a'63 Avanti R2865 and dumped more $$ than you did into it. It's now just getting fun. The Mrs. is into it & that's more than half the battle. As far as the comments on the IM, which I worked in Tacoma, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge from it & chose to not even bring my car to Tacoma. More fun at smaller & local events. If I had showed up on Saturday of the meet, as I had planned, we wouldn't even have been welcomed, so who needs it. Stay small, stay local, and enjoy the ride.
    I dig what you're sayin. I'm 64 and having a blast working on different projects. I don't have a ton of money to blow on my cars and never have. I like driving them. I like em loud and low. The 56 Wagon just got running again. I'm stoked about it.
    I chased about 7 glitches over that last several months that drove me crazy. The trans was leaking, so I pulled it and did the seals. Then it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a short in the dist. Then it wouldn't stay running. Turned out to be starter solenoid. Then it wouldn't run again. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't go into gear. Turned out to be low on fluid....again. But no leaks.... go figure. Then it wouldn't start again. Turned out to be a broken ground cable. (the wire just pulled out of the lead) Sheesh. Now it seems all those things are fixed.
    I'll take it out on a shake down tomorrow.
    But I also have the 54 Coupe getting ready for it's reveal. 2 weeks or so, it should be ready. Well... maybe.
    My son stole (adopted) my Avanti and is doing the body work.
    And to top it all off, my wife (of 42 years) who never ceases to amaze me with how awesome she is, just dropped a bomb on me last week. She says, "Hey, I think I'd like a Studebaker truck to go to the feed store. The round kind, not the square kind."
    So now I've got to find her a C Cab truck.
    Now I have to find a cheap way to buy her a truck.
    sals54

Check with rbruner on a restored truck for less then a 3rd of what was invested.................
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    I dig what you're sayin. I'm 64 and having a blast working on different projects. I don't have a ton of money to blow on my cars and never have. I like driving them. I like em loud and low. The 56 Wagon just got running again. I'm stoked about it.
    I chased about 7 glitches over that last several months that drove me crazy. The trans was leaking, so I pulled it and did the seals. Then it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a short in the dist. Then it wouldn't stay running. Turned out to be starter solenoid. Then it wouldn't run again. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't go into gear. Turned out to be low on fluid....again. But no leaks.... go figure. Then it wouldn't start again. Turned out to be a broken ground cable. (the wire just pulled out of the lead) Sheesh. Now it seems all those things are fixed.
    I'll take it out on a shake down tomorrow.
    But I also have the 54 Coupe getting ready for it's reveal. 2 weeks or so, it should be ready. Well... maybe.
    My son stole (adopted) my Avanti and is doing the body work.
    And to top it all off, my wife (of 42 years) who never ceases to amaze me with how awesome she is, just dropped a bomb on me last week. She says, "Hey, I think I'd like a Studebaker truck to go to the feed store. The round kind, not the square kind."
    So now I've got to find her a C Cab truck.
    Now I have to find a cheap way to buy her a truck.
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird