Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Case in point
    Yup. Nailed it. Many can be and are helpful, but others become condescending because things should be so obvious to everyone.

Was thinking about this when originally posted...
    In regards to diminishing numbers in the club, couldn't give you one solid answer. As a younger guy, this is my take, and not a one-size fits all answer to the issue obviously. I know for my friends, they see the hobby of old cars in general as a luxury that many can't afford. I have had a few walk into my garage and are shocked that I have an old car in the garage, whether it runs or not. They want to get into old cars but can't afford the hobby. Many families live check to check these days. Dropping the investment on an old car seems out of reach. Another obstacle for many is the declining space to store an old car. Many houses are converting garage space into living space leaving no room to comfortably work on a car. And honestly, I could see some not seeing the value in joining the club either. Benefits listed on the Club page aren't a huge draw. That's just me though.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally Posted by wittsend
      Young people today have been brainwashed that cars are evil. That life is to be experienced through a glass screen held in their hand.

Case in point (Quote)

I don't see where stating a known fact implies one a "grouchy old man." Or as another stated "condescending." A question was asked as to declining membership and (one of many) verifiable reasons were stated. My position is not based on an innate, disgruntled position. For 23 years I taught 18-23 year olds (primarily) at a community college. I won't belabor the lack of initiative and motivation I saw. Some great kids for sure. But more so I often had a greater concern for the future.

I have two Millennial adult children. Good kids. My daughter graduated with a BA at 20 years old. She is an accomplished musician (first chair) and an award winning photographer. My son is a State Science Fair Champion. He is the type of kid who DOES works with his hands and is skilled in many diverse areas (designs, machines, welds, 3D prints). All that said try getting the phone away from them. Do I hear Charlton Heston in the background (from my cold dead hands)?

Rather than the club chasing after growth (or replacement) that logically isn't there, it would seem best to focus on how to best function in a decline. Quality, not quantity. Lastly be thankful that a car you have an affection for still has a following and supply chain nearly 60 yers after it all ended. It may not run that way forever, but for you it was a good run.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Well said, for Me it started in 1972 and has been a ton of fun along the way. don't know how much longer,but until then.......

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
        Originally Posted by wittsend
        Young people today have been brainwashed that cars are evil. That life is to be experienced through a glass screen held in their hand.

Case in point (Quote)

I don't see where stating a known fact implies one a "grouchy old man." Or as another stated "condescending." A question was asked as to declining membership and (one of many) verifiable reasons were stated. My position is not based on an innate, disgruntled position. For 23 years I taught 18-23 year olds (primarily) at a community college. I won't belabor the lack of initiative and motivation I saw. Some great kids for sure. But more so I often had a greater concern for the future.

I have two Millennial adult children. Good kids. My daughter graduated with a BA at 20 years old. She is an accomplished musician (first chair) and an award winning photographer. My son is a State Science Fair Champion. He is the type of kid who DOES works with his hands and is skilled in many diverse areas (designs, machines, welds, 3D prints). All that said try getting the phone away from them. Do I hear Charlton Heston in the background (from my cold dead hands)?

Rather than the club chasing after growth (or replacement) that logically isn't there, it would seem best to focus on how to best function in a decline. Quality, not quantity. Lastly be thankful that a car you have an affection for still has a following and supply chain nearly 60 yers after it all ended. It may not run that way forever, but for you it was a good run.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Old guys die. That's life!

Comment

This is absolutely the most depressing thread I have seen on this forum. Some accusing younger folks who are not interested in old cars just because they are lazy or worse, which is a groundless accusation. Others complaining about how bad it is to get old (whatever old really is) I fear what anybody new to Studebakers would think when reading this thread. This negativity is the exact reason new folks do not join our number.....
            Last edited by JRoberts; 11-14-2018, 09:25 PM.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Joe its just a reflection on life, maybe you are not ageing like the rest of us???
              Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              This is absolutely the most depressing thread I have seen on this forum. Some accusing younger folks who are not interested in old cars just because they are lazy or worse, which is a groundless accusation. Others complaining about how bad it is to get old (whatever old really is) I fear what anybody new to Studebakers would think when reading this thread. This negativity is the exact reason new folks do not join our number.....

Comment

None of us get out of this alive!

I'm just trying desparately to hang onto the shredded remains of my youth!

Sometimes its just fun to lean back and remember all the car sex we used to have....or at least fantasize about.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  I find it strangely humorous the way these innocuous threads seem to always end in a cat fight, over an issue that only exists because of a small minority of owner's mindset. The facts are some people prefer original cars, some people prefer to alter their cars, and a small minority of both groups tend to vocally push back against the perceived proclivity of the other. I doubt that the drop in membership has much to do with this minority divide. Really the only fact that matters is that our membership is ageing and dyeing and there are not enough young people interested in Studebaker. Politicize it if you want, but the facts are not going to change.
                  Well said. On 10/17 I became 85 which probably puts me near the top for SDC and probably AARP! The reality is that membership will gradually decline. Efforts to gain new memberships will become more demanding. Car clubs will continue to exist, but with reduced membership. My son said he wants my Avanti and his name is on the title. I told him I didn't want it sitting forever on jack stands in his utility building! He is very handy mechanically, but sometimes his projects last for a considerable time because of his work and other demands on his time. I will try to convince him of the merits and benefits of club membership. There are many.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                    Well said. On 10/17 I became 85 which probably puts me near the top for SDC and probably AARP! The reality is that membership will gradually decline. Efforts to gain new memberships will become more demanding. Car clubs will continue to exist, but with reduced membership. My son said he wants my Avanti and his name is on the title. I told him I didn't want it sitting forever on jack stands in his utility building! He is very handy mechanically, but sometimes his projects last for a considerable time because of his work and other demands on his time. I will try to convince him of the merits and benefits of club membership. There are many.
                    I will second Bob's endorsement of Hallabutt's comment. It seems that no matter what the subject matter, the discussion degrades to an original-vs-rodded peeing contest. I believe it can be just as hard to bring a rust-bucket back to a 399 point restored vehicle as it is to heavily modify a comparable vehicle. Different skills perhaps, but no less difficult. While I admire both the vision and skill of many rodders, I tire of their thin skins when they brag about how drastically they have modified a given vehicle. It's your vision, so be proud -- but don't be surprised if not everyone appreciates what you have done. If you don't want feedback, don't post photos of your work. And by the same token, if the sight of a chopped and channeled 53 Stude gives you heartburn, stick to modern cars. People have been modifying and improving cars to suit themselves since 1898.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

• Back in 1966 my parents gifted me with a 4-speed Avanti thinking I would not attempt to "have my way' with girls in such a cramped space......well never under estimate the will of a 18 year old!......or his "ability" to pile up speeding citations;-(
                      Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      None of us get out of this alive!

I'm just trying desparately to hang onto the shredded remains of my youth!

Sometimes its just fun to lean back and remember all the car sex we used to have....or at least fantasize about.
                      Last edited by Hawklover; 11-15-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Just another perspective piled on...

It used to be that if you were in the old car hobby, being a club member was almost a requirement because how else would you find parts, solicit advice, or talk to a like-minded individual with the same passion? If you wanted parts, you needed that club magazine to get a vendor's phone number, or to find out the date of the next swap meet so you could dig through tables of parts to find that one item you can't live without. Same with talking to someone that shared your interest, you needed to go to those club meetings to do so.

Today.. Parts, technical information, advice, camaraderie.. It's all available in your pocket on your smart phone. The way information is shared has changed drastically over the last decade or two. Clubs in general become irrelevant because they can't compete.

I'm 28 years old. In 2 more years, I'll receive a 20 year pin from SDC. I've literally grown up in this club, and I think the main reason I retain my membership is simply because I always have. My question (for the sake of discussion, I don't expect a literal response).. What does SDC as a whole offer a young enthusiast that they can't find elsewhere? If I need parts, I'm not going to wait for a magazine to show up in the mail, I'll search the major vendors' websites and order what I need. If I want to socialize, I'll join in on a discussion on the Studebaker Addicts Facebook page... Which currently has 19,188 members. If I have a technical problem, I'll poke around on Bob Johnstone's website and find the answer. So, again... What does the SDC offer that can't be easily attained elsewhere? Where is the "need" to be a member? What can my membership in SDC get me that simply cannot be had somewhere else? (And before someone says, "this forum", if this forum failed to exist tomorrow, a non-club affiliated forum would fill the gap in a heartbeat).

I make my living working at one of the major Studebaker parts stores. We stay busy 40 hours a week (and then some) sending parts out all over the world. The club itself may be on the decline, but there are still a lot of Studebakers being restored and maintained. A lot of our calls are from people that just bought their first Studebaker. The hobby is still strong and active.

And BTW.. Most everyone I know my age is too swamped with student loans, mortgages, cost of raising a family, etc, to even consider the never-ending expense of an antique car, even if they wanted one. But, generally speaking, cars are still being maintained, restored, driven.. And a lot of money being spent to do so. The club may not be gaining members, but the hobby isn't anywhere close to dead yet.

Have fun with your car, enjoy your hobby the best way you know how to, and don't waste your life away worrying about what you can't control. In the grand scheme of it all.. It doesn't matter anyway.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 11-15-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Well said young man!

Comment

• Matthew does have a point. I found a refreshing look at younger folks and the car hobby this summer while on Hot Rod Power Tour. This seven day event visited seven different cities. There were thousands of people and cars involved. It was one of the best automotive events I have ever participated in. The main reason was the diversity of the participants. This includes many people that are Matthew's age. These folks knew cars, loved cars and seemed to enjoy this event. My guess is that their enjoyment was because they were accepted in a positive way no matter what they drove. There were vehicles that were bone stock and some that were highly modified but it did not matter. Everyone was accepting of each other. We need to do that.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              I'm 28 years old. In 2 more years, I'll receive a 20 year pin from SDC. I've literally grown up in this club, and I think the main reason I retain my membership is simply because I always have. My question (for the sake of discussion, I don't expect a literal response).. What does SDC as a whole offer a young enthusiast that they can't find elsewhere? If I need parts, I'm not going to wait for a magazine to show up in the mail, I'll search the major vendors' websites and order what I need. If I want to socialize, I'll join in on a discussion on the Studebaker Addicts Facebook page... Which currently has 19,188 members. If I have a technical problem, I'll poke around on Bob Johnstone's website and find the answer. So, again... What does the SDC offer that can't be easily attained elsewhere? Where is the "need" to be a member? What can my membership in SDC get me that simply cannot be had somewhere else? (And before someone says, "this forum", if this forum failed to exist tomorrow, a non-club affiliated forum would fill the gap in a heartbeat).
                              Your observations are keen and on point. And herein lies the anchor around the neck of the older generation. As I said before, I'm 64, but I'm always trying to learn new things. Some of the "folks" are still not comfortable with a computer, let alone working all the other aspects of online meanderings. People have been trying to get the SDC to get into the modern world for decades. Remember how long it took just to get a Forum set up? And then the primary concern for those "folks" was just how were they going to make money from the freeloaders. I remember these discussions from many years ago. It should not have been this tough to make the SDC a profitable online venture. Especially with as many members as they had. Now it's an uphill battle, only because of the delay in getting on board. The Turning Wheels was the roadblock to much of the modernization. They were afraid of the monetary loss in the move to an online based magazine. Most periodicals have moved to an online presence now. They still put out the printed stock, but couple that with an online source. The SDC had many opportunities to monetize a site with sales of magazines, clothing, hardware, curios etc. They were just quite late to get there. In the interim, people searched elsewhere and found other sources.
                              sals54

Comment

• Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                                They were just quite late to get there. In the interim, people searched elsewhere and found other sources.
                                Maintaining the status quo is a very powerful force...especially for us "older" types.
                                Dick Steinkamp
                                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X