No announcement yet.

Declining memberships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my daily driver/work truck/ weekend trophy winner. Jeff, you have the 259 that was pulled from it. I have already replaced my beloved Champ with a Tacoma pickup. When was A/C invented? I love it!
    When I had my wife's shop name on the doors of the truck it brought in customers. Did I mention that the repairs were a business expense? Now that she has retired so has the truck tax write-off.
    Last edited by rbruner; 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Ditto, at 71 and still having 2 or 3 projects setting around, I find that the ideas, skills and desires are still there, but the work has become more strenuous and the hours to get the job done add up quicker. I love the hobby, but I think co-mingling with the passer-bys at the car shows is even more fun then breaking my back building these hunks of junk..........lol
      Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      Some people have no clue as to why they want some things. They just want them.
      Caring for, repairing, rebuilding, rubbing on that item is more than some people want to do.
      Owning a piece of older machinery is one thing. Actually using it and running it is another thing.
      No worries.. Hopefully someone else will buy and enjoy your soon to be ex vehicle.
      What I find interesting us that you are exiting the hobby at 65, and I am looking to dive deeper into it approaching 65.
      Sometimes I think you are the smart one
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

rbruner You could have spent $30k on a new truck 11 years ago and today you would be lucky if it was still worth $10k so same same. Just wouldn't have been as much fun.

Comment

Point well taken.

Comment

I realized about 30+ years ago, a trend that tends to apply to most hobbies and several other facets of our lives, that fits this thread like a glove. In our youth, we had desires to do things with what was contemporary at that age. Some of us did those things at a younger age, while many wished they could, but dealt with life's other struggles, aka work/family. As we aged and became more financially capable, those old desires forged their way back to the forefront of our minds. In an attempt to recapture the youthful dreams, we tended to acquire the objects of our desires and the associations of those like-minded people of our generation. As we aged and for the most part hopefully accomplished the better portion of those dreams, we tended to divest of the trappings we acquired and accepted that our capabilities, whether physical, mental, or financial have diminished.

When you look at where you fall in the above scenario, you will realize it's generational. When your generation passes through each stage, it eventually disperses and leaves behind only memories and historical artifacts for the following generation. For example, the generation that were the 15-25 year-olds in 1900-1920 are gone and the horseless carriage enthusiasts disappeared along with them. For the most part, the current Studebaker enthusiasts primarily enjoy cars built between '47 & '66. If you were 15-25 during those years, others also of that age and time are part of your generation. Regardless of the generally accepted name "Baby Boomers" that most of us currently fit in, our Studebaker generation members are now aged between 67 and 96.

We can't turn back the clock. Half of us have already died and the rest don't buy green bananas anymore.

Comment

There are lots of very god points made here. I like what Thunderations had to say. When I first joined a club in my area, I was the youngest, at 35. I wanted to make the club better and to help bring it into the future and to help make it appeal to my generation and younger!

I tried hard, I became involved, I tried to help drag (25) 60+ year old people kicking and screaming, into the computer generation. I tried to reduce costs of the club to keep dues the same. All to be told "We don't like change."

That sums up a LOT of Stude owners.

I have owned Studes since 1981, when I was 15. I sort of owned one at age 12 when Dad told me I could have the old beat up blue Lark next to the barn.

We are all a bit different from the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge folks because we like things "different" than everyone else.
              We like to chant our "CASO" mantra and hold our heads high when we say it in our martyristic way.
              We gripe because no one is interested in owning them, yet we do nothing to promote it.
              We don't drive our cars as much as we should because then we'll have to work on it, or it costs too much in gas, or we're too tired that day, but w're happy to gripe about it to everyone.

I, too, have watched some members bag on those who wanted to modify their Studes to the point it drove them out of the club.

I eventually left due to the extreme stubbornness of the older members not wanting to change to improve the longevity of the club.

Today, of the 32 members that were in this club 15 years ago when I left, there are only 6 or 8 remaining. Most have passed away. A few have moved on to other clubs, some left because they were no longer interested.

I have not rejoined a local club because I don't want the drama.

I do what I enjoy.
              I enjoy DRIVING my car. I drive it every chance I get. I average about 8000 miles per year. We have driven it on the HRPT twice (it is completely stock and we were shunned by the hot rodders because of that....yet we got LOTS of attention because it was DIFFERENT!)

Studebaker was billed as "The Working Man's Car" and was typically "more affordable" than the big 3. That fact places most of us in a "class".

Not all clubs are losing memberships. It depends on how the club operates and treats everyone.

I am a member of a Land Cruiser Club....Not a Studebaker Land Cruiser though. The Toyota version.
              This is a high end vehicle when new, so the typical owner has more disposable income, most are white-collar professional people, most pay others to work on their vehicles for them. The pay a good sum for that to happen. I bought mine cheap and I do all my own work, so I am a mechanical contributor to the forum as well as locals, because I am willing to TEACH someone how to work on their truck.

The CASO's do not like to pay for anything and be damn proud of that. They wear it like a medal of honor.

This forum is a KEY location to attracting new members. Just ask my 18 YO son. Try and find someone to rebuild a carburetor. It's cheaper and easier to buy a fuel injection unit and program the computer after you bolt it to your Stude engine.

We need to SUPPORT EVERYONE that comes here looking for help, whether it is to swap to a SBC or to restore one to factory original, or to just make one run and drive it as it is.

Each person makes their Stude their own. It becomes their personality.

The other forum I follow, there are folks that are there just to read and provide input. Others get their kicks by challenging the poster's questions. But it is an OPEN discussion, with moderators, but negative comments, as well as positive comments are allowed.

There is a segment of the forum committed to Classifieds. There is a segment dedicated to "Bad Vendors". There is a segment dedicated to "Good Vendors". It even breaks it down to show ALL clubs WORLDWIDE. It is broken down by model series. I wish I understood how that all works, and I would help make that happen here. But everyone who doesn't like change would poo-poo it.

I love my Stude. I wish we could attract more "kids" to it. I know of a place that has a number of cars that NEED to be bought, restored, and used to show the next generation. I just need to figure out how I can help that be my "retirement".......
              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Declining Memberships

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8942.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1724297

Getting harder to keep our Hot Rods on these roads without some modern intervention
                sigpic

Comment

Now that I'm 65 and pondering retirement, I realize that I have spent $30k in purchase, repairs and improvements to a $10 vehicle. Obviously I'm no CASO but without mechanical skills the fun is over.

rbruner,
                  C'mon, I'm the same age and have a'63 Avanti R2865 and dumped more $$ than you did into it. It's now just getting fun. The Mrs. is into it & that's more than half the battle. As far as the comments on the IM, which I worked in Tacoma, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge from it & chose to not even bring my car to Tacoma. More fun at smaller & local events. If I had showed up on Saturday of the meet, as I had planned, we wouldn't even have been welcomed, so who needs it. Stay small, stay local, and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                    Now that I'm 65 and pondering retirement, I realize that I have spent $30k in purchase, repairs and improvements to a $10 vehicle. Obviously I'm no CASO but without mechanical skills the fun is over.

rbruner,
                    C'mon, I'm the same age and have a'63 Avanti R2865 and dumped more $$ than you did into it. It's now just getting fun. The Mrs. is into it & that's more than half the battle. As far as the comments on the IM, which I worked in Tacoma, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge from it & chose to not even bring my car to Tacoma. More fun at smaller & local events. If I had showed up on Saturday of the meet, as I had planned, we wouldn't even have been welcomed, so who needs it. Stay small, stay local, and enjoy the ride.
                    I dig what you're sayin. I'm 64 and having a blast working on different projects. I don't have a ton of money to blow on my cars and never have. I like driving them. I like em loud and low. The 56 Wagon just got running again. I'm stoked about it.
                    I chased about 7 glitches over that last several months that drove me crazy. The trans was leaking, so I pulled it and did the seals. Then it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a short in the dist. Then it wouldn't stay running. Turned out to be starter solenoid. Then it wouldn't run again. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't go into gear. Turned out to be low on fluid....again. But no leaks.... go figure. Then it wouldn't start again. Turned out to be a broken ground cable. (the wire just pulled out of the lead) Sheesh. Now it seems all those things are fixed.
                    I'll take it out on a shake down tomorrow.
                    But I also have the 54 Coupe getting ready for it's reveal. 2 weeks or so, it should be ready. Well... maybe.
                    My son stole (adopted) my Avanti and is doing the body work.
                    And to top it all off, my wife (of 42 years) who never ceases to amaze me with how awesome she is, just dropped a bomb on me last week. She says, "Hey, I think I'd like a Studebaker truck to go to the feed store. The round kind, not the square kind."
                    So now I've got to find her a C Cab truck.
                    Now I have to find a cheap way to buy her a truck.
                    sals54

Comment

Check with rbruner on a restored truck for less then a 3rd of what was invested.................
                      Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I dig what you're sayin. I'm 64 and having a blast working on different projects. I don't have a ton of money to blow on my cars and never have. I like driving them. I like em loud and low. The 56 Wagon just got running again. I'm stoked about it.
                      I chased about 7 glitches over that last several months that drove me crazy. The trans was leaking, so I pulled it and did the seals. Then it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a short in the dist. Then it wouldn't stay running. Turned out to be starter solenoid. Then it wouldn't run again. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't go into gear. Turned out to be low on fluid....again. But no leaks.... go figure. Then it wouldn't start again. Turned out to be a broken ground cable. (the wire just pulled out of the lead) Sheesh. Now it seems all those things are fixed.
                      I'll take it out on a shake down tomorrow.
                      But I also have the 54 Coupe getting ready for it's reveal. 2 weeks or so, it should be ready. Well... maybe.
                      My son stole (adopted) my Avanti and is doing the body work.
                      And to top it all off, my wife (of 42 years) who never ceases to amaze me with how awesome she is, just dropped a bomb on me last week. She says, "Hey, I think I'd like a Studebaker truck to go to the feed store. The round kind, not the square kind."
                      So now I've got to find her a C Cab truck.
                      Now I have to find a cheap way to buy her a truck.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I'm new to Studebakers, but not new to the car hobby. I'm also north of 60, so not a spring chicken. I do notice that some of the things I've been working on my Hawk, is taking way longer and a bit like a chore. However, when done, I have a high satisfaction I have completed it. It just seems that I was way faster and more clever even only a few years ago. Oh well, beats the alternative. I was really into British cars and had quite a few, just never to completed any of them, but almost all ran by the time I sold them. I think every club goes through this, I mean how many of you out there want a Rover sedan? or a Sunbeam Minx? I'm sure the model T club goes through this as well. I believe it comes down to the age of those that remember these cars and desire them. I wanted one because it wasn't another Tri-5 and since I like the orphan cars, it fit the bill. My sister giving me a model of the 57 Golden Hawk planted the seed and here I am, SDC member and all.
                        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                          This was my daily driver/work truck/ weekend trophy winner. Jeff, you have the 259 that was pulled from it. I have already replaced my beloved Champ with a Tacoma pickup. When was A/C invented? I love it!
                          When I had my wife's shop name on the doors of the truck it brought in customers. Did I mention that the repairs were a business expense? Now that she has retired so has the truck tax write-off.
                          Studebaker had factory A/C many years before the first Champ was built. A/C was first in production cars in 1939 and in Studebakers in 1955.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is rarely words, but actions which tell the true story. One year at the SB May meet I was introduced to a prominent Indiana SDC member. He inquired about my cars. I said I had a 61 Cruiser and a 64 Daytona hardtop. He said “that 61 cruiser is a rare car, I would like to see it. After seeing the car was lowered and had skirts and lots of pinstripes, he had nothing to say and was soon gone. The next day, I sat down at a table with him and another guy I knew. He got up and left. Same guy identified my 64 Daytona as “a beautiful car” in print but claimed it belonged to someone else. Another time I saw a prominent Michiana SDC member leaning on my car with his foot on the bumper. I told him to remove his foot, that’s an NOS bumper. He turned and looked at the car and just walked away. A friend was banned for life because a completely psychotic member made false claims against him which were later exposed. A cover up ensued. No apologies in any of these cases. A judge told me one of my modifications was a defect, even though I was entered in a modified class. And many more.
                            61 lark cruiser
                            64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

That's a nice thought, but she, again, killin me with her ideas and sweet attitude, says she wants it rusty and rough on the outside, but dependable and nice on the inside. I think I've been rubbing off on her more than she may realize.
                              Maybe that's cuz we have a pact. I never tell her what to do with the decorating on the inside of the house and she lets me play with ugly cars. We're a match made in heaven. The whole inside of the house is frills and fancies and flowers, but I get to do the cars. Its awesome.
                              sals54

Comment

You know somehow, somebody has to complain about the person who puts a yellow hood on a red car, instead of thanking them for saving and enjoying another studebaker. Everybody should be welcomed to the club with open arms.

Comment

Working...
                                X