Thread: 1960 Lark with no engine

Champion Member

1960 Lark with no engine

Hi all, i am new to Studebakers and recently bought a 1960 Lark without an engine as the car was for sale half an hour down the road from me and it looked interesting as it is a pretty rare occasion to find any model of Studebaker here in Spain.

Obviously trying to find an original engine here in Spain or even in Europe would be very challenging so got to go with what i can find. Original engine was a L6 still got the head,sump, starter and dynamo but am looking at V8's as they seem more available this side of the pond. The transmission i have is a R10F with overdrive and axle Dana 27 (no.C3137) with ratio 4.10:1, question is would this be ok with a V8 , i guess durability shouldn't be a problem but the diff ratio seems more suited for the slower flathead.

I have found a 318 Mopar which has the auto transmission also available if the original trans is not up to the job but fitting to the original trans may be easier then making adaptations to the drive shaft or axle to make it fit.

Congratulations on your 1960 Lark purchase!
    There’s quite a few Studebaker folks in Europe. I’d reach out to see if you could find a Studebaker V8 to drop in your Lark.
    Would be easier and would be more original if you ever decided to sell it.
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Speedster Member
    If you go with a v8 you will have to upgrade brakes, suspension, rear axle. A chevy v6 would be easier to swap.

To answer the original question, no.....the T-96 transmission from a six cylinder Studebaker will not fit in place of the T-86 used in V8 cars.

The R-10 is the REAR Part of your transmission, the Overdrive Unit.
    If you look at the Main Case, Right Side, you will find that it is the Borg Warner (WG) T-96 lightweight Trans. as in; "for a Low Power Engine", so no it can not handle a V8 or higher power 6.

The Model 27 Rear Axle is the same story, it is for a Low Power Engine.
    A Dana Model 44 was used for most V8's.
    The Brakes can be upgraded to V8 type 11 Inch Front and 10 Inch Rear Drums, or a Disc. Brake upgrade to handle more weight and Power.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    Since you are in Spain, I expect you would have better luck finding a European engine and transmission for your Lark. Maybe a 4 cyl or inline six from a BMW? Or a Mercedes Diesel? Studebaker actually built a couple of Larks with that engine, so I know the swap is possible. A Volvo 240 series engine and transmission would also be a possible option.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    I don't see a problem with using the 27 axle with a small V-8. While admittedly not up to drag racing duty, or doing burn outs, Studebaker used them as standard behind the 259 in tens of thousands of Lark's. It's whats served in my '64 Daytona HT for these last 55 years.

President Member
    A lightweight Rover (Buick) aluminum V-8 might be a good choice, if available. Years ago I installed one in a A.H. Sprite.

Champion Member
    [QUOTE=70Avanti2;1134099]If you go with a v8 you will have to upgrade brakes, suspension, rear axle. A chevy v6 would be easier to swap.[/QUOTE

Do you know what cars V6
    were fitted in
    Last edited by Miloburnz; 11-06-2018 at 02:32 AM.

I just read that the chevy would be a easier fit, why?
    I have a MoPar 318 in my -55 sedan & even the mounts lined up fine. A van/truck oilpan is needed & it gets a wee bit tight by the steering rod from the steeringbox & startermotor, that's easy fixed by changing the pitman arms angle & shorten the rod that goes forward, but be serious when welding it. Torqueflite is small enough, mine is a A500.
    My car was also a 6-cylinder car with manual gearbox but it was all waisted stuff, the rear axel is from a Volare/Aspen since it was what I had & easy enough for me to use.
    If you can get in to tha "Racing Studebakers" site you can read about it, but it's hard for non-US people to get in there, I can only get in very seldom.
    There's a good place in Holland for Studebaker parts, called Laakmolden BV / www.oldcarparts.nl.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 11-06-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloburnz View Post
    Hi all, i am new to Studebakers and recently bought a 1960 Lark without an engine as the car was for sale half an hour down the road from me and it looked interesting as it is a pretty rare occasion to find any model of Studebaker here in Spain.

Obviously trying to find an original engine here in Spain or even in Europe would be very challenging so got to go with what i can find. Original engine was a L6 still got the head,sump, starter and dynamo but am looking at V8's as they seem more available this side of the pond. The transmission i have is a R10F with overdrive and axle Dana 27 (no.C3137) with ratio 4.10:1, question is would this be ok with a V8 , i guess durability shouldn't be a problem but the diff ratio seems more suited for the slower flathead.

I have found a 318 Mopar which has the auto transmission also available if the original trans is not up to the job but fitting to the original trans may be easier then making adaptations to the drive shaft or axle to make it fit.
    The 318 will go in easily but the oil pan must be changed to a rear sump style. The Dana 27 axle will hold up fine for normal driving. Driven aggressively a V8 engine will take teeth of the differential side gears. The six cylinder cars had 10" front and 9" rear brakes. The V8 cars had 11" and 10" respectively. AN upgrade is not mandatory but encouraged. If the TF on the engine is a 904, it has direct drive. A lower numerical axle is suggested. If it is a 500, it is overdriven in high gear so the 4.10 will work out fine. A 1st gen smallblock Chevy will bolt in but there is some additional work to be done there as well. Search the SDC Europe clubs to see if a Studebaker engine can be found.
    james r pepper

Speedster Member
    The reason I said a chevy v6 would be easier is because other parts would not need to be changed. He is in Spain. If he cannot find a stude six. He wount be able to find a dana 44 axle bigger brakes etc.

The v6 was used in many 1980's chevy's. I just don't know what kind of cars you have in Spain.

Another good source for Studebaker parts help is Greg Diffen of the UK Studebaker Drivers Club. I realize it’s a good distance from Spain to England but would be a fun Drive now that there’s the “Chunnel”.
    On another note...does anyone remember a book titled “Stationwagon In Spain”? It featured a Lark (1960?) stationwagon and family on vacation in Spain in their new Lark.
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Speedster Member
    Noxnabaker is the man I would listen too. He's done it and knows what he's talking about. If you can find the rear axle it would be easy. All you would need from the US is a full disc brake kit and a pair of new front springs. Not a very big or heavy package to ship. Then you would have a safe and driveable Studebaker.

Can you post some pictures of the car? Maybe give us a little history on the car?

Good luck!

If you can find a ford explorer rear axle and shorten one side there is your rear end and will take a v8 with ease.

Like I said, a Volare/Aspen is easy to find in Europe. & the axel fits exept for the spring wideness, but there are many ways to fix that, I just moved mine. If you google "Osby skroten", a big US junkyard in south Sweden, you might even find axel from a 60's Valiant/Dart/Barracuda & then you'll be fit enough directly. But it should be from a V8 car if you wanna really drive it.
    As for brakes: I still have the original front drumbrakes, there are speed limits & the car aint that awfully much heavier & stops fine. I'm not driving any high moiuntains either, where disk brakes would be needed.
    Good luck!

Here's Josephine, original springs & brakes:
    Nox's.jpg

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan