Thread: 59 Lark Home Made Fan Shroud

Speedster Member

59 Lark Home Made Fan Shroud

Im sure I’ll get some -ahem- HEAT for this as its not stock, but here we go:
    My Lark has a Chevy 350 in it (it was like this when I bought it). Well, Southern California is pretty warm, so I’ve been having some issues with the temperature. Im sure part of the problem is that the fan is not close enough to the radiator. But after reading about how much a fan shroud helps, I decided to make one. Since this is a non-stock application, I had to make this custom part.
    I used an aluminum cooking pan, some aluminum angle metal, some galvanized roofing material and a lot of rivets.
    I probably measured and re-measured about 50 times, improvised along the way, and pulled the radiator out 10 times to make sure it all fit.
    One challenge I ran into was the bolts that hold the radiator to the radiator mount: they were a bit stripped so I needed to tap the threads in the mount. It was a bit of a detour, but necessary.
    Note that if you do this, there is a metal rod inside the rolled pan edge. I wasnt expecting that to be there.
    The pan was just about the correct width: I had to cut some notches for the bolts that hold the radiator in place.
    The angle metal that was used to bolt the shroud to the radiator mount needed to be opened up to get the angle right. I it with a hammer to open that 90degree angle up to the necessary angle so it sat flat when bolted to the support.
    Note that this Fan Shroud was attempted after cleaning out the water jackets, replacing the water pump, and re-rodding the radiator- which made no difference in the temperature. So this was the next logical step in the attempt to get the temperature down.
    Its not the prettiest shroud, but it made a HUGE difference in the temperature. Check out the photos, and let me know if there are any questions.
    Im sure some of you will have some suggestions as well…

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by creegster; 11-05-2018 at 05:23 PM.

President Member
    ...and looks a LOT like the factory one!
    Nice job.

President Member
    Craig,
    Very innovative and resourceful, congratulations. When does mass production take place?
    I'm glad it solved your problem. What temp thermostat are you using? Did you entertain using electric fans? If so, pushers or suckers?
    Bill

Nice job of fabricating and using/re-purposing existing materials. I like it.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Good job-I like it!

Commander Member
    Pretty ingenious re-engineering of an existing product. It looks good and does what you need it to do. Well done.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    [QUOTE=creegster;1134057]Im sure I’ll get some -ahem- HEAT for this as its not stock, but here we go:
    My Lark has a Chevy 350 in it (it was like this when I bought it).Im sure some of you will have some suggestions as well…

I have a suggestion.
    Don't apologize for having a SBC in your Lark by saying "it was in it when I bought it".
    It's nobody's business about how, when, what, why or who installed the engine. It's still a Lark and it's on the road.

Glad you got the heat under control. I've been known to fabricobble a few things myself.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

I love it! I have a Lark that I installed an air conditioner in years ago. With the aftercooler in front of the radiator, the temperature would creep toward hot on very hot days when stopped in traffic at idle. I took a fan shroud from an older Studebaker and modified it to work in the Lark. It didn't look nearly as good as yours, but it helped.

I have no suggestions, but praises and congratulations for your neat and skillful innovation. Also, I had to chuckle a bit about your comment that you might take a little "heat" because it is not original. Seriously??? There's an SBC 350 under the hood and you're concerned about a cookie pan???

Shucks...drive it like you stole it! If anyone gives you grief about it, tell 'em to pound sand (or bake cookies) as you leave them in your dust!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

So you took something made to cook your buns, and turned it into something to cool your buns?

Sweet!

Being aluminum, it probably is half the weight from a OEM shroud.

I like how you blocked the top radius portion off.

OEM shrouds do not have that piece and I thought it very odd that they would rely on the "CAUTION" tab on the radiator to block that out.

President Member
    Very creative and resourceful. Well done. And when was a fan shroud ever the point of "pretty?" Years ago it was determined that the absence of lower shroud on Sunbeam Tigers didn't help a car that was already challanged with cooling. I also made up a not so pretty lower shroud, but it gets the job done. Every little bit helps. Note the large notching to get around the steering rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    As already stated, You did a great job thinking this out and then executing it. I also find it amazing that the Pan was the correct dimensions to start with. any ways the shroud looks "CLEAN ENOUGH TO EAT OFF OF" pun intended
    Joseph R. Zeiger