Thread: Ignition switch fall out 63 Hawk

Speedster Member

Ignition switch fall out 63 Hawk

The notch in the fiberglass that is supposed to keep the bezel from turning in the dash was chewed up. So I machined a flat sheet metal plate with the appropriate notch and attached it to the front of the dash assuming that the turning bezel was what was causing my switch to fall out.

Not so. The bezel is now firmly in place but when I turn the key clockwise, (I assume clockwise to start the car) the whole switch rides up over the lock tabs in the bezel and the spring pops the switch out. The switch is a replacement from SI, the bezel is, I assume, original. Anyone have a brilliant idea as to how to keep the ignition switch from falling out when the key is turned? I'm stumped.

(The reason I mention turning the key clockwise, is that I haven't attempted to start the car in 9 years, I'm old and forgetful so sue me. That is the correct direction isn't it?)

bhap

President Member
    It is usually the bezel that is at fault. It becomes worn or bent and won't engage the little pegs on the switch. Try Studebakers West for a replacement bezel. I'm not sure I have any left--they are a common problem.

The Spring and Plastic Spacer may not be correctly installed on the Switch on the back of the Dash, but most likely the Bezel is damaged and not locked onto the Switch Housing.

You SHOULD have "Accessories" to the Left, OFF straight UP, Ignition ON (Run) to the Right and momentary "Start" all the way to the Right. It sounds like you understand it correctly.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Thanks to you both. I imagine you are both right. The "lock slots" on the bezel appear to be worn as they are way too wide for the pins on the switch. A new bezel is on the way. Cheers!

bhap

Commander Member
    On my old 63 Hawk ( since sold ) I screwed in a pointy end sharp self tapping screw, from the bottom up
    No more movement--worked great----