Thread: Reason to vote Tuesday Nov. 6

President Member

Reason to vote Tuesday Nov. 6

Don't know how many people take it serious to cast their ballot or just take it for granted. If you are not an active voter there is still time for you to register and perhaps cast your vote in honor of someone who gave his life in defense of the country. cheers jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

President Member
    That and love of the Constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Don't know how many people take it serious to cast their ballot or just take it for granted. If you are not an active voter there is still time for you to register and perhaps cast your vote in honor of someone who gave his life in defense of the country. cheers jimmijim

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    If you don't vote, you have no right to bitch.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

So...I wonder how long this thread will last before it's locked???

I plan to vote...my way of practicing exorcism

Seriously, having experienced hostile fire in combat, I really appreciate the privilege, right, opportunity, and responsibility.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Bingo! I'd like to see 100% turnout. That would truly be democracy at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Agreed!.........
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

==========

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    So...I wonder how long this thread will last before it's locked???

Now why would they do that? I mean you are talking about SDC elections - Right? I see nothing about candidates , initiatives etc.. So, surely you must be talking about Studebaker related matters.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Champion Member
    “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” -Plato

Blog Entries
    To be clear, the Forum prohibition against politics is to specifically to ensure that our Forum is free from battling ideologies, endorsing or belittling public figures, or jousting with each other over personal beliefs. I think we can all agree that voting is a privilege not to be ignored or taken lightly Get out and vote, if you've not cast an early ballot!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I believe the right not to vote can be just as powerful as the right to vote. However, as I do feel that it is necessary right now, I will vote tomorrow in an informed and deliberate manner.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Speedster Member
    As soon as I turned 18 I registered to vote. I have made it my mission to vote in every election, local, state, federal since 1971. There are those who gave every measure for us to exercise that right & it's our duty, it's what we owe those who have gone before us who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for us to make a choice. It's not something I take lightly, nor should you. It's the least of what's required of us and binds us together as citizens of this great nation to honor those who saw to it that we can decide for ourselves, regardless of interference, foreign or domestic, those who we deem fit to represent us.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    While I concur with your missive's intent, Jim, I don't know of anywhere someone can register to vote and vote on election day.

I've been a member of the Hendricks County Indiana Election Board, serving as both Polling Place Inspector and Judge, at least 30 years. Since my wife has formally retired from teaching, she has joined me working the polls.

Our alarm clocks are set for 4:15 AM Tuesday, November 6th. By Indiana law, we must be at our assigned Polling Place at 5:00 AM for pre-poll-opening exercises such as running what are called ZERO tapes on all the machines to prove there were no votes on them when the polls opened at 6 AM.

Then, we must remain there all day, not leaving for meals or anything else, from the time the polls open at 6 AM until they close at 6 PM. It then takes the best part of another hour to tally the machines (all electronic, thankfully) and return everything to the county courthouse. So please take it easy on the poll workers late in the day!

Meanwhile, here's an interesting thought I encountered today:

Life is Short: Be sure to spend as much time as possible arguing politics on the internet with strangers.

Happy Election Day, all. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    While I concur with your missive's intent, Jim, I don't know of anywhere someone can register to vote and vote on election day.

I've been a member of the Hendricks County Indiana Election Board, serving as both Polling Place Inspector and Judge, at least 30 years. Since my wife has formally retired from teaching, she has joined me working the polls.

Our alarm clocks are set for 4:15 AM Tuesday, November 6th. By Indiana law, we must be at our assigned Polling Place at 5:00 AM for pre-poll-opening exercises such as running what are called ZERO tapes on all the machines to prove there were no votes on them when the polls opened at 6 AM.

Then, we must remain there all day, not leaving for meals or anything else, from the time the polls open at 6 AM until they close at 6 PM. It then takes the best part of another hour to tally the machines (all electronic, thankfully) and return everything to the county courthouse. So please take it easy on the poll workers late in the day!

Life is Short: Be sure to spend as much time as possible arguing politics on the internet with strangers.

I posted Monday as registration was open. jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Bob P., Hawaii now allows folks to register and vote both on election day with proper id and filling out an affidavit form. I believe it is a recent law as we have a really poor turnout each year, so this is hoped to help.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Here in Oregon we use only paper ballots and vote by mail. It is easy, hard to hack, and fun. We look forward to getting our ballots every election and WE VOTE!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Here in ND there is no registration. You can show up at the poll with a valid ID showing you live in the precinct and answer yes to 2 questions: lived at current address on your ID at least 30 days and are a US citizen. I brought a old utility bill from July in case I was questioned and my passport. ND driver's license does have date of issue printed on it though.

So, I voted earlier today, first time since 1992 and first time since I have lived in ND (since 1996). I am working from home today as the polling place is within walking distance of my house. Otherwise a 35 mile round trip from the office. Also, its supposed to start snowing and I know in past elections there have been lines outside the polling location in the evening hours. Given the weather, I didn't want to stand around outside tonight.

The only reason/excuse for not voting for years was wanting to avoid calls for jury duty as they get names from the recent voters list. At this point in my life/career, I care less about that happening than I would have in my early 30s. Prior to that I voted from age 18 in 3 elections including absentee ballot when in college in '88.

Jeff in ND

Interesting. I am 77 and have never missed an election. Been called for jury duty twice in that time.

Here in WA we vote by mail as in OR. Simple, safe and no excuse for not voting because of inconvenience.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

I missed 1973 as I was abroad. I missed a primary recently because I forgot about it. Voting is a civic responsibility.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    Interesting. I am 77 and have never missed an election. Been called for jury duty twice in that time.

Here in WA we vote by mail as in OR. Simple, safe and no excuse for not voting because of inconvenience.
    I love the vote by mail process. No standing in lines. No having to drive someplace and find a parking spot. No missing work or dinner. The ballot comes weeks before election day so you can schedule voting when it works for you. I sit at the kitchen table with the voter booklet that describes the candidates, their statements, initiatives, pros and cons, costs, etc. and mark my ballot then send it in. IMHO it is one of the best ways to get more people to vote.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post

There are 15 or 16 states where same-day registration is legal. Illiniois,for 1.
    Oglesby,Il.
    Buy a smart car,I need your gas.

Speedster Member
    Everyone has the right to vote or not to vote, there is no right or wrong about this discussion

Speedster Member
    Not voting is a lame excuse for pure laziness. It's an individual's civic responsibility, part of being a citizen of a country. The choices may not be to an individual's liking, however not voting is never an excuse.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 52hawk View Post
    There are 15 or 16 states where same-day registration is legal. Illiniois,for 1.
    Actually 17 plus the District of Columbia...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...istration.aspx
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA