Thread: Oil restrictor

Champion Member

Oil restrictor

A couple weeks ago I ask about my Studebaker smoking and thought maybe because oil was over full. That wasn't the problem. It was smoking bad on start up and after a time smoke was less but still a steady smoke. After some discussion I was told about the oil restrictor to go in the oil galley. I was lucky enough to find one and installed it this morning. When I first started it smoked but not nearly as bad and in a short time it quit. I drove it about 3 miles, got home and no smoke at all. Let it set about 1 1/2 hour, started it and no smoke at all. Fingers are crossed smoking has stopped.
    Thanks for input,
    L.D.

Where did you find the restrictor? Can another one be found? Does the vendor have more?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Where did you find the restrictor? Can another one be found? Does the vendor have more?
    I got mine from a guy that sells obsolete engine parts. I had earlier checked with Meyers Studebaker Parts. When she answered back they had one I had already got one from the other guy. I know she probably still have it.
    L.D.

President Member
    These oil restrictors were included in Studebaker ring set AC-2865 and perhaps other, so apparently they were factory authorized.

Attached is a photo of the packaging (notes in ink are mine) and instructions:

Oil restrictor2.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)