No announcement yet.

paint job on 66 4 dr stude.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the other project is done so I can get back on the Stude. I have a old time air meter to paint tomorrow that has to go to a Mecum auction but that wont take long as it's all ready to paint. This Cad I had to replace the rocker panels, and build the bottom 5-6" of the 1/4 panels on each side of the wheels. No one builds rust repair panels for them as so few where made and most are not being fixed. So It was a case of a big piece of tin and build my own. Plus it's that three stage pearl white paint and only painted from the fake side mldg down on both sides.
    Attached Files

Comment

Got the chrome on the drivers side today. Went to put the side mdlg on the front fender and I had tagged everything as I took it off with tape and noticed it was for the Rt side not the Lt. Though oh well must have mixed them up some how. So get the other mdlg and it's tagged rt. Checked them and guess what two rt side mdlgs. Scott did you ever notice that?

Comment

I think I noticed one looked upside down. Could that be? Maybe I can order a left. Anyone here have the left moulding?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I never noticed that they are not symetrical....

Comment

The body side moldings on '66's are the same left and right.
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
              The body side moldings on '66's are the same left and right.
              That is true for Commanders only. On Cruisers, the front door molding was the same left and right, but the short front fender moldings and the rear door moldings are different left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                That is true for Commanders only. On Cruisers, the front door molding was the same left and right, but the short front fender moldings and the rear door moldings are different left and right.
                That is correct. We discussed it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...side-mouldings

Craig

Comment

Yes the short molding has a thick edge on the bottom and tapers to the top that has a thinner edge. So when you put a rt side on the left your mldg's have a thicker edge on the bottom on the doors and then when you get to the fender it looks like it's on upside down. No way to flip it because then the point end would face the door.

Comment

Both of my cars are Commanders I guess is why I would have never noticed a difference in trim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                      Both of my cars are Commanders I guess is why I would have never noticed a difference in trim.
                      [QUOTE = Studebakercenteroforegon;] That is true for Commanders only. On Cruisers, the front door molding was the same left and right, but the short front fender moldings and the rear door moldings are different left and right.[/QUOTE]

Ooops, mea culpa! Yes, Life gets way more complicated when you drive one of the fancy models!!
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

• I think I can get this piece from Stephen Allen's. I'll send them a note. If I can I'll have it sent up to you, Steve.
                        I wish the interior was getting done, too, but having new paint will be terrific!
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

• Scott. If you can find them you need both the drivers fender mldg and the drivers door. The fender is for the rt side and the door is all bent and someone has beat the front edge all up. It looks like the door will work from either side. SI shows both in their book but used if you can find them would be fine.

Comment

• Thanks! I'll check into it. Do you have a teaser picture?

Comment

• I'll see if I can take some Monday. It's so cold this weekend I'm just going to sit on my butt watch some football and maybe work on some door trim panels I started on.

Comment

• Steve, I think you should drive the Cruiser to Cars & Coffee next month. I know Scott wouldnt approve driving the car in the salt, so we will keep it a secret from him.
                                sigpic
                                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                                X