Thread: Flightomatic questions

Champion Member

Flightomatic questions

I have a 63 gt hawk with a 289 v8 and a three speed flightomatic gearbox however it refuses to change up to top gear low second and reverse are fine, had the box refurbished 10 years ago and it has been sitting unused all this time waiting for the car to be finished are there any helpful suggestions out there?

How does it act when it gets up to 3 rd gear shift speed 25-30 MPH with light to medium throttle pressure?

By that I mean, does it:

Coast?

Decelerate in Second?

Lock up the Tires and skid?

Does it properly Start in 2nd. when in Drive?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Champion Member
    no yes no yes it feels that it needs to change up but it does not

President Member
    First check fluid level HOT and as the manual says...probably in D. Then drive it. Put it in L and drive up to about 25 MPH then manually move it to D. See if it jumps to third. This should force it into 3rd. You may also find, if this is your first Studebaker, lessening accelerator pressure near a shift point aids it in shifting. If you leave it "gassed" it will eventually shift...but letting up and re hitting it aids the shift process.
    Last edited by jg61hawk; 11-04-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Was the adjustment of the rod from the accelerator bell crank to the transmission adjusted correctly according to the service manual? Also, a stuck valve might be the cause.

Champion Member
    rod adjustment was as correct as slack old age allows the sticky valve seems to be the culprit up to my arm pits in tranny fluid must get a hoist soon to old to be grovelling on the floor under the car

Commander Member
    My 63 GT with same engine & tranny that was recently rebuilt seems to lock & skid the rear wheels at low speeds
    if you put your foot into it then it takes off oK
    ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Chartrain View Post
    My 63 GT with same engine & tranny that was recently rebuilt seems to lock & skid the rear wheels at low speeds if you put your foot into it then it takes off oK ideas?
    We had one do that, and the Valve was stuck that is supposed to release the Oil pressure in the Rear Servo.

But it matters which Valve body you have, ours was the Early '57 Type, that allows a Automatic Low Gear Start using different 2nd. Gear Shift Valve Springs.
    It was trying to go into 2nd. while locked into 1st with the Rear Band applied, locking it up solid.

Was your '63 Valve body replaced, possibly with an early one?

Does it start in Low Automatically with light Throttle pressure?

When you floor it, does it Start in Low and does it later do a 1-2 Shift?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    We had one do that, and the Valve was stuck that is supposed to release the Oil pressure in the Rear Servo.

But it matters which Valve body you have, ours was the Early '57 Type, that allows a Automatic Low Gear Start using different 2nd. Gear Shift Valve Springs.
    It was trying to go into 2nd. while locked into 1st with the Rear Band applied, locking it up solid.

Was your '63 Valve body replaced, possibly with an early one?

Does it start in Low Automatically with light Throttle pressure?

When you floor it, does it Start in Low and does it later do a 1-2 Shift?
    i don’t know the answer to the valve body question
    the transmission was rebuilt “under the table” whatever that means so it has no warranty & was done in the Bay Area with me now in Texas
    i’ll check when I get back home but I think it starts in high gear as you have to floor it to get it moving.
    once it’s rolling, it seems OK

Commander Member
    Just had a chance to drive the car. I let it warm up to operating temperature and now that I know what's happening I could immediately feel the band locking up. Once you floor it you overcome the drag then it moves.
    The minute you take your foot off the gas the band starts grabbing almost like you engaged the emergency brake.
    The car doesn't automatically shift from 1 to 2 but rather starts out in 2. I tried starting in low and that's where it stays unless you manually shift to drive.
    Sticking valve body?
    Repairable in the driveway?

Speedster Member
    Hi Pluto- I suspect you are right about the control valve being stuck internally. Yes you can fix this problem from underneath the car without pulling the transmission out but sorry, mate, you are going to have to 'grovel around' under there . I produced a blog; it will show how to extricate the valve and it's not a big job- http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com . If you read some of the Manuals signposted there you can attempt an inspection of the valves' internals. You would probably obtain an exchange from Jim Q in Melbourne if need be but a conversation with him in the first instance would be of benefit- he is the expert.
    PM me if you wish....
    Steve, Melbourne Aust.

Commander Member
    Thanks for the input