Thread: wheel cylinder location on 1957 transtar rear axle

Speedster Member

wheel cylinder location on 1957 transtar rear axle

Are the wheel cylinders on all 57 Transtars rotated about 20 degrees to the rear of the axle centerline or do
    i have a problem. Stock as far as I know dana 44. I have never seen this on any other make using that axle that I can recall. Thanks in advance for any relevant replies. Lamar

Do you have reason to believe that the backing plates are not original?
    That is what controls the Location, they are made by Wagner Lockheed Brakes, NOT Dana Spicer, as the Model 44 wide track truck Axle is.

These should be the special self adjusting Brakes with a Eccentric Stud and Lock Nut for each Shoe visible on the backing plate.

If you do not have the Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog that clearly shows all of the Parts and or the Shop Manual to work on it, you WILL have MANY issues working on and ordering Parts for it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Thanks for the reply even though you don't know the answer to the question. No idea if they are original. I am not trying to order any parts.

If the wheel cylinders aren't in a horizontal position, then how can all the air be bled from the cylinder?

When I worked on the brakes on my 1950 Commander in 1970, one of the bleeder valves was stuck, and I didn't want to risk breaking it, so I had a friend step on the brake pedal while I brought the rubber cup to the end of the cylinder, then carefully tipped just the top out enough to let the air out. I then pushed the rubber and piston back in and finished installing the shoes.

Could be later model(1963-64) brakes. Would like to see a pic of it. Is this a 1/2 ton or 3/4?

Speedster Member
    TWchamp that is what prompted the question. The truck is currently sitting on jack stands level and you could not bleed all the air if you tried.

Dwain it is a 1/2 ton, I have no way or the knowledge to do a picture. I don't see any evidence of them being changed but it is possible, the internal brake components match the design of the fronts. Thanks for the reply.

Champion Member
    I have the box off of my 3E-7. Standing on the right side of the truck looking across to the left side wheel cylinder, it is at the 11:00 position. The right side is offset also.

I tough cases like this, I usually feed the system by the bleeder valves, using a large syringe. Never failed so far.
    Best of luck with your troubles.

I would think the shop manual would show a picture of the wheel cylinder mounted to the backing plate.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dclerici1 View Post
    I have the box off of my 3E-7. Standing on the right side of the truck looking across to the left side wheel cylinder, it is at the 11:00 position. The right side is offset also.
    That is about the location on mine. Thanks for the information. Now curious why they are offset. Thinking about straightening mine up and see what happens.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    I tough cases like this, I usually feed the system by the bleeder valves, using a large syringe. Never failed so far.
    Best of luck with your troubles.
    Back feeding these will not solve the problem, still have one end of the cylinder higher than the other end leaving room for an air bubble. This one has never given me any real trouble, just extremely haed to get a good pedal after service. Thanks for reply.

Speedster Member
    Mine shows a photo of the backing plate assembly but doesn't reference the mounting position, it appears straight up. Probably a generic photo of the brakes. Thanks for the reply.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    I would think the shop manual would show a picture of the wheel cylinder mounted to the backing plate.
    It does, but there's no way to tell if the top of the picture is really "up" in real life.