Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Wagonaire and Sedan Gas Caps Why Are They Different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wagons also had a slight curve to the cap instead of straight like the sedans.
    Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
      The wagons also had a slight curve to the cap instead of straight like the sedans.
      Rob in PA.
      Are you SURE that is not just on '59 to '62 Wagons? The '63 to '66 Wagons do get a different Cap than '59-'62.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich
        I'd have to dig out my original gas cap as I now run a locking type cap on it. As I recall the original locking cap I wanted to use from my '64 HT wouldn't work because it didn't seal due to the curve. I know the earlier wagons used the cap with the curve and my '64 wagon also has a curve that is similar to the earlier sheet metal. I also just acquired a locking cap that was NORS by Slant and it indicated use for sedan-type cars, not wagon.
        Rob in PA.

Comment

IF that curved Wagon Cap HAD fit your Sedan, you would not want it sometimes leaking Gas from it's Vent.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If the unvented cap seals tightly on a Wagonaire, the gas tank can collapse under vacuum and be permanently distorted. It happened to me after I had owned the car for 5 years or so. I re-inflated the tank using water from my garden hose after making an adapter for the filler neck. I don't like putting air pressure into tanks not designed for pressure.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonaire_tank.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1724291Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_tank_inflate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1724292
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary:
              Thanks for posting a good reminder about re-inflating the tank using air pressure and a great example of what happens with the wrong cap!
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X