Thread: Hood Alignment on 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Champion Member

Hood Alignment on 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

When the hood is closed, the front driver's side is higher than the passenger side. I recently installed a new hood latch, now the tilt at the front is notably worse. Apparently, if the hood latch is not tightened down correctly, the front of the hood may tilt one way or the other when the hood is closed. Has anybody else experienced this?

If I read this right, your hood is too high, because the striker (on the hood) is too high, or the rubber bumpers (2) are missing on the adjusters. ( the 'tall' bolt at the front of each fender jamb.

Remove the latch. Set the hood down. if it lines up with the fenders put the latch back in and adjust the striker on the hood. If it is still 'proud' be sure the adjusters have their rubber bumpers in place. If this does not fix it, you can adjust those too, as long as it does not make the hood too high to the fenders. The adjusters have a lock nut, so you can adjust the height of them. Also a good time to lube the cable. The lower you get the hood in the hole, the tighter the hood pull cable will be...

Champion Member
    With the latch removed, and the hood closed, the hood is about 3/4 inch higher on the driver's side than the left side. I can press the driver's side front corner down to the adjuster and it will be level but it springs back up when I release my hand. I spent some time looking at it today and adjusted both levelers --they both have their rubber bumpers -- and I adjusted the striker to close as tightly as possible and still catch. This draws the hood down NEW RADIATOR - UPPER RADIATOR AIR DEFLECTOR.jpglevel.

President Member
    may need to "persuade" the hood with some twisting....

Champion Member
    But do I twist the low side up, or the high side down? I considered twisting -- but concerned that I would only warp it. If I were to adjust the striker any tighter, the latch won't engage at all. To get it level, the hood has to close so tightly that it springs open smartly when the hood release is pulled!
    Last edited by wwundt; 11-02-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Are BOTH of the Torsion Bars installed at the rear of the Hood to hold the hood up? If one was missing I could see some twisting going on due to that.

Your situation makes me wonder if the Whole front Clip is correctly shimmed at the Frame. Maybe some body shop doing a front collision repair did not level the radiator support and front Fender mounting to the frame.

Champion Member
    Good point! The gap between the rear edge of the fender and the front edge of the driver's door is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. Raising the front of the clip would undoubtedly cure this.

GOOD! I hope that leveling the Front sheet metal to the frame cures both problems for you.

President Member
    You may also check that the hood brace which goes side to side is still there. It should be attached with two Phillips screws.
    Rob in PA.