Thread: My clock vrs. DST

My clock vrs. DST

When I got up Sunday morning it was an hour later than I thought it was. Oh well, I read the clock wrong. It happened again Monday morning, that's when I remembered this radio/clock automatically adjusts for Daylight time and Standard time. Only problem is it was made before the dates were moved for the time changes.
    Can't shut that feature off either. Could reset the clock, but one of the joys of retirement is that I don't really need to. It will be accurate again next week!

Our thermostat is the same way. I agree, I could reset it but it will be correct again on Sunday.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    Many years ago I was given an "Atomic" clock (at least that's what I think the trade name was). It retrieves constant updates from the US Naval Observatory, so it is always accurate to the fraction of a second, and of course updates to/from daylight savings It runs on a quarter-sized battery which lasts for at least five years.

They're readily available for $30 or so.

President Member
    Arizona does not use daylight savings time. Yet, my computer this morning set back one hour. The time differences used to be 3 hours for the EDST, 2 hours CDST, I hour MDST, and Arizona was on the same time as Pacific Coast. Just adjusted time and now correct.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Blog Entries
    This handy infographic explains it all:

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    Many years ago I was given an "Atomic" clock (at least that's what I think the trade name was). It retrieves constant updates from the US Naval Observatory, so it is always accurate to the fraction of a second, and of course updates to/from daylight savings It runs on a quarter-sized battery which lasts for at least five years.

They're readily available for $30 or so.
    I have an Atomic Clock. It does not keep perfect time as it should. It looses about five minutes in between DSL cycles. Everything else on it is correct, including phase of the moon, indoor temperature, month, date, day of week. It does not correct for DSL. I fool it to get it to give the correct time. I take the battery out for a short period of time and then replace the battery and wait for the clock to get another radio signal and then it sets everything on it, including the time, correctly.
    Last edited by studegary; 11-06-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: missing to
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    I have a atomic clock from Menards-about 16 dollars. My girlfriend told me a business she was at had an atomic clock. She asked how it was powered [battery or plug-in] the owner said "It's atomic powered"!
    Oglesby,Il.
    Buy a smart car,I need your gas.

I have heard that the government is going to discontinue the atomic clock program. Anyone know about that?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    I have heard that the government is going to discontinue the atomic clock program. Anyone know about that?
    I know a little about it. The Naval Observatory will continue to provide the electronic time signals that are used with the GPS. GPS needs absolutely accurate time to work properly. GPS was originally developed by the Navy as a navigation aid, and the Defense Dept still runs it. What the current Administration has proposed discontinuing are the radio stations (WWV in Fort Collins, Colo and WWVH in Kauai) that broadcast the audible radio signals that can be used to manually set the time on any device that isn't keyed to the Naval Observatory signals. WWV broadcasts on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz. It's not exciting radio.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_(radio_station)
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-07-2018 at 07:19 AM.