Aussie Studebaker and New Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Studebaker and New Member

Hello All. I have always admired the Studebaker and now have just had the opportunity to add one to my garage. I have a small collection of 60's era cars
    It is a 63 running 289 ect... Sitting idle for some years but has fired up easy although the transmission is lazy to change.
    I really liked them when they were used as Police cars here in Australia. I know these forums are a great source of information as well.
    The stud pattern (lug) is the same as Ford and the front springs look like early GM is this right?

That is a nice looking car. Great find!
    It looks like you have a very fine collection going. Can you identify the other cars in the photo? One is obviously a Ford Falcon.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Hello Ed Thanks
      I should have mentioned them before.
      The blue Falcon is a 1963 the Green sedan is a 1966 Holden Special and the Ute in the center is a 1961 EK Holden. Both Holdens are GM styled as you can see

Comment

Nice looking Lark, Rapps. While an exchange student in mid '80s living in SA, I walked past a house on my way to school that had a '63 Lark under a car port - never saw it move, however.

The bolt pattern is the same between some Ford and Studebaker wheels. Careful with the actual nuts - the smaller lug nuts used on Studebaker are too small for the Ford wheels and can work their way through the holes over time. Springs might look very similar, but only by matching spring rate and other important factors would you have a direct swap.

Love the Ute - someone had an FX at a big car show once and it was thick with people trying to figure out what it was - loved it! Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks for that. I am having trouble locating the coil springs here and it looks like someone has lowered it which makes it harder to compare.
          For example I had a 1964 Impala and our Holden HQ took similar front end components which helps so I thought the Studebaker may also share some parts
          I have just replaced the thermostat and that is the same here for 4.1 lt diesel F series Ford

Comment

Join the Studebaker club, plenty of parts people here in Australia and technical assistance. Springs wont be hard to sort out.

Comment

Do I see a Australian Ford Falcon as well as a gen-you-wine Holden Ute? Fantastic! We at the Studebaker Driver's Club are a small but committed bunch that will go to almost any length to make sure that as many Studebakers are on the road, including those in Australia! A warm welcome from the United States, from a teenager in ol' Florida!

Click image for larger version

Name:	62KaywellHawk09.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1724238
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome
                That is indeed correct on the Falcon and the ute! I am happy you guys are interested in our Aussie stuff.
                Thanks again Lindsay

Comment

Hello I am happy to join the club but won't distance be a problem for meetings ect...............

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                    Hello I am happy to join the club but won't distance be a problem for meetings ect...............
                    One of the wonders of the internet is that with forums like this...we're always in a meeting! We are truly an international organization. For local members getting together, that will depend on how good a recruiter you are. So hitch up your enthusiasm and get busy!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                      That is indeed correct on the Falcon and the ute! I am happy you guys are interested in our Aussie stuff.
                      That is an interesting '63 Cruiser. Got any interior photos of it, as they were Australian-sourced?

The best Falcons were made in Australia; notably, the XC series.

Craig

Comment

I agre with all above!
                        Had a couple of -60 US Falcons because they came cheap to me (as well as a couple of Mustangs the same way) & I just wonder about the big scoop above the windshield?
                        I'm not familiar with Australian MoPars but the US ones also share wheel bolt pattern with Studebaker & I know there's straight Hemi sixes in some of your Valiants...
                        Congrats to a NICE Studebaker from a swedish guy.

Comment

Thanks It is great that they are also in Sweden too !
                          The bulge over the windshield is a sun visor.
                          I will post some photos of the interior soon as it has not yet been cleaned up. It has been re trimed at some stage but has high back bucket seats and a Valiant console and shifter
                          So not sure if it will stay that way.

Comment

Thanks John The internet is a great way to get together . The world is much smaller now.
                            I am an active member in a restorers club here that caters for the older cars and bikes as well as trucks . We are situated 550 kilometers from our nearest capital city where the Studebaker club is
                            We are halfway between Sydney and Brisbane
                            We are going to time a grand child visit with one of the events from the Sydney chapter soon and may get to the Nationals in Queensland at Easter time 2019

Comment

Yep, we have Studebakers in Sweeden too, at the last meeting there was about 50 cars, but we've always had loads of US cars as there are long distances sometimes & in the old days even more so ofcourse.
                              If you google "Power Meet Sweden" & go for "images" you'll see whet I think might be the biggest US car meeting here.

Comment

Working...
                              X