Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T86 Transmission gear problems

Hi all,
    Some time back I started a thread about rebuilding a T86 transmission out of a Power Hawk. This is the link to that discussion: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ild-question&p

Brief history. Bought the car in 2012. I knew it had a shifting problem with 2nd gear but thought is was clutch/linkage adjustment or worn external parts. It would not quite go all the way in gear and would pop out if I didn't maintain substantial pressure on the gear shift. Over time it got worse and finally started popping out of send gear continually on compression. So...........

It has finally cooled down enough in Phoenix to crawl around in the garage without turning into crispy bacon. So on Sunday, Oct. 21st, I put the Stude on my home made lift (2X12 w/2 1/2" screws) Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_203340_Moment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1759650and pulled the tranny. It gives me appox. 12" lift. Worked great. I pulled the case cover expecting to see a second gear that was absolutely trashed and a syncro that was broken/mangled. I saw none of this at first glance. As I turned the input shaft what did I find but...... Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_204213.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1759647. Holy Crickey! This is third gear on the main drive shaft. This section of the gear broken off completely and is roughly 1 1/4 inches long. Now, this caused NO noticeable issues what so ever. Since the synchronizer sleeve slides right onto the remaining teeth and off you go. But this didn't explain my problem with 2nd gear. Upon closer inspection, I found....Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_204304.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1759648. The syncro looks pretty good from a wear standpoint but the gear itself is extremely worn. Some of the teeth have been worn and rounded off up to 50%. So when I put it in second gear and a rotate the main shaft this is what happens.....Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_204356.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1759649 As you can see the syncro sleeve does not have enough of the gear left to remain in place, so it drifts back. Then as engine RPM and tranny RPM approach 0 load....out she goes. Anyway, just an update. I will keep this post up to date. Hopefully by the weekend I will have Lollipop back on the pavement.

Thanks again Jack Vines.

Rog
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

I just had a problem with the T86 in our Avanti. Out of nowhere it would not go in third gear unless I jammed it in or I was going less than 30mph. What I found was the blocking ring would go all the up to the third gear , Where on a new blocking ring would leave about a .040 space. Looking at your pictures it looks like someone in the past disassembled the trans wrong by trying to remove the third gear pinion without removing the input bearing first. In the Avanti I replaced the two blocking rings and synchronizer and after a 15 mile test drive yesterday it seems fine. I suggest following the disassembly and reassembly intsructions in the manual to a T and have a few types of bearing pullers handy , I also only needed 1 type of snap ring plier Good luck , Ed Oh yea use only GL 1 gear oil !

Comment

Inspect the sliding hub as it could be worn as much as the mating teeth in the gear.

Comment

jts359
        I didn't really think about someone trying to remove the the gears without removing the bearing but if sounds possible. I mean someone could have tried to use a drift or screw driver, hammer, or ????? to drive the bearing out. I bet you are right. It looks like the type of break you would have if you did something stupid like that. In any case, it is what is is now and I just need to fix it. DieselJim
        I will check out the sliding hub when I get it disassembled to make sure I don't have damage there. The pics here are of the trans I am taking out. I purchased a replacement trans from Jack Vines (PackardV8) over the summer. He gave me a great deal on it and I truly appreciate him helping me out. I will repair the original as time allows but after I get Lollipop back on the streets. I appreciate the tips and look forward to hearing from others as well.

Rog

Ben Hogan

Comment

Here's a small update on the tranny project. Not too much to report......sore muscles, skinned knuckles, and a homemade transmission jack. I didn't get a lot of time, in the last week, to work on it. I'm retired you know. Thursday, 10-29, I go out to the garage and cleaned up all the external parts to transfer to the replacement trans, thank you Jack Vines. Took off the govenor, the solenoid and the shift levers moved them over and replaced the rear flange seal. I figured the trans had been sitting for many years, so it's the least I could do for it. Then tried to figure a way to use my floor jack as a trans jack. My first attempt was to set the trans on the jack, secure it with a ratchet strap binder and a little duct tape. Then got busy for as few days.
          Tuesday, 10-30,Took the tranny under the car and fought it for way too long and finally said, Uhhh, yeah, that shtuff didn't work! Thursday, 11-1, I had most of the day to work on it so I set out to build a simple bracket to attach to the floor jack plate. I found and old bracket on the wall that was about 3/16 steel and bent at 90° that I could heat and bend into a U shape. I drilled the floor jack plate and put the bracket on with self tapping bolts. I will post a pic or two later. Anyway after getting the trans in place it worked well. So I have the tranny back in the car and with any luck will have Lollipop back on the road by Sunday.

Rog

Ben Hogan

Comment

The"broken section" of gear on input shaft is made that way on some transmission so input shaft can be removed without dropping cluster gear. some were made that way, others were modified for same reason. Works well that way.

Comment

Another update. As stated before, the tranny is in, I spent the weekend working on getting the linkage and electrical all connected, hooking the drive shaft up, EBrake cable mount, exhaust pipe mounts, etc. Got it all finished up on Sunday morning putting oil in the OD and Trans. Changed the gear oil in the differential. Lubed everything and took her out for a spin. Drove great and the transmission shifts very nicely. A WELCOME improvement. Thank you again PackardV8. OD freewheeled but didn't engage but is was a blown fuse. So I'm back on the asphalt as of Sunday. I will now tear into the other transmission to replace second gear/syncro.

Thanks for interest.
              Rog

Ben Hogan

Comment

Hi all. I wanted to leave a post swap post. As I mentioned before, after I got the transmission swapped out everything worked awesome. It shifted great, drove great, sounded great and had a great big leak! There was a significant leak from the OD Solenoid and oil was leaking from the shift levers. I had changed the tail shaft seal but none of the others. Please learn from my mistake! Do it on the bench, not on your back. And change the shift rod seals, OD lever seal, solenoid seal and tail shaft seal. Change them all. Getting the shift rod seals out was a witch with a B. So, I had ordered new seals from Studebaker.com. They went in very easily but still found I had a leak at the solenoid. Some previous owner had put the oil seal for the solenoid at the base of the solenoid shaft, rather than in the adapter plate. So NOW I am leak free........except a drip here and there from the hill holder unit. Rebuilt it once but still leaks a few drops.
                Anyway, just a follow up.

Have a great weekend all.
                Rog

Ben Hogan

Comment

Ben, Now you see why I put 5 speeds in all my Studes.

Comment

Working...
                  X