Thread: Vent Window Glass Removal

Commander Member

Vent Window Glass Removal

So I have removed both vent windows from my truck (2R5) as I would like to replace the seals/weatherstripping. One of the windows has delaminated so I would like to replace the glass as well. How does one remove the glass from the frame? It appears to be glued into the frame. Do I need to buy a complete frame or is it possible to just replace the glass? Some vendors sell the glass but make no mention of the frame. Thanks.

Any good glass shop can do it, you'll want to repaint the frames and let them dry several days before the install. If you have a plastic and older, hard rubber mallets, you drive the edge of the glass at one end, a block of wood is helpful and it will displace the other end so you can grab it and wrestle it out of the frame. It is similar to removing a woodruff key.

You need glass setting strips to wrap the edge of the glass for install. Trim the edge even with the frame after it is fully seated. . I use rubber gloves and decent welding gloves, eye protection and sometimes a second person to help hold it. A vise works, but it can bend the frame very easy.

If you have never done it, I suggest letting a pro do it. Take notes for the next time....

Using a penetrant, such as PB Blaster or Kroil will also soften the seal.

Golden Hawk Member
    If I'm removing the glass in order to install new glass, a hammer works fine.

Commander Member
    Thanks for the comments. I'll try and remove it myself, otherwise take it to an installer to see if they are familiar with doing this type of window. And, yes, at this point it doesn't matter if it breaks.

President Member
    are you going to cut and install the new glass, with new stripping......just asking.....

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    are you going to cut and install the new glass, with new stripping......just asking.....
    Going to buy the glass from one of the suppliers. I will install new stripping if it is available from someone. I'll need to do a search.

Silver Hawk Member

President Member
    Removing is fairly easy. Putting it back toqether and actually having the window close--well that is another thing altogether!

Commander Member
    Yes, it turned out removal was pretty easy. I sprayed both sides with a penetrating oil and then ran a very thin blade (like on those retractable box cutters) between the glass and frame on both sides. Stuck a pointed dental pick in the top edge and slowly applied pressure to wedge it out. Both came out quite easily. Now I need to clean and paint. I assume I will need to separate the two frames (glass and door) so I can get the weatherstripping in place.