51 Commander issues Continue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    OT question: Will a compression test tell you if you have that "Soft" cam as in the 307/350 variant? I've got one that on acceleration under load pops. doesn't when not loaded tho and will rev to 5K easily. I haven't tried 6K.
    I'd remove each valve cover and check each rocker arm for full movement to determine if any cam lobes are worn.

Comment

OK, dwell is at 29.3, timing between g and n, idle rpm is 580. Adjusted carb mix to 1 3/4 and adjusted them to balance. Idles smoothly. Now the problem, bogs down coming off the line at start. At 30mph if you floor it it downshifts and accelerates great. Top of carb taken off and cleaned. New fuel filter in place. Timing or carb. It has had acceleration from start before it just was rough in the faster range. It pulses/sputters a little when first moving forward.
      51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
      53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

My 50 Land Cruiser also has a slight hesitation when I take off from a red light. I haven't checked my accelerator squirt of gas yet, nor my timing, but as nice as the engine starts and runs, I'm not worried about the timing being off.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for the help. With the help of a friend of mine, who is a mechanic, he found the problem. It turns out that the vacuum advance plate was stuck. He hooked up a vacuum pump and the plate would not move. After some work and lubrication the plate began to move. I know a couple of you suggested vacuum and you were correct. So even though that was the solution I now have the dwell, timing, carb all somewhat dialed in.
          51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
          53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

On my 63 lark with a 259 I am wondering how to adjust the accelerator pump linkage,doesn't seem to engage right away causing a bog the picks right up

Comment

If it has the Standard Stromberg Model WW 2 Barrel, the Accelerator Pump Lever ROD from the Lever to the lower Bellcrank, should be in the CENTER hole.

I would start by checking that. A Bad accelerator Pump could also be the cause.

The Pump travel, is adjusted by bending the Rod per the Carb. rebuilding Kit or the Studebaker Shop Manual Instructions.

When these Cars sit too long, the Leather dries out and if you pump it before it has soaked a while in fresh Fuel, it will fold back, tear, or otherwise be damaged.

NOTE: I understand that you are New here, but next time you have a unrelated issue to ask about, please start a New String with a good Title about Carburetors in the "Tech. Talk" Forum.
              In THIS case the Title "Prefix" would be "Fuel Systems" this string is mostly about Distributors, part of prefix "Ignition". And it slipped in here on the wrong Forum also.

Thanks to everyone for following the Rules, as this helps others who may have the SAME issues that need to be able to "Search" these Thousands of Strings and Posts to get Help.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 11-03-2018, 08:04 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry about that but per forum rules I can not post until I have some ungodly number of reactions or replies to other posts. Or I am just reading the rules wrong I am sorry for the inconvenience of this post.

Comment

No inconvenience Crosley. I think what Rich is saying is you will probably get a quicker and more accurate answer to your question if you start a new thread instead of adding on to the end of another. As soon as you join the forum you should be able to initiate a new thread without restrictions. Good luck and please comment/ask away - lots of great information here.

Comment

Thanks for the info.Much appreciated
                    Bart

Comment

Well , well,well , My 1960 Lark 8 convertible , which I have driven 3000 miles in the last 4 months , well the speedo went CRAZY today just like the beginning of this post says !!!
                      A screech sound at 150 decibles , the needle went round and round like an episode of the Twilight Zone ........and the needle fell off and the center piece it rotates on is working its way toward me ! Ha ha ha , what an unwelcome surprise !!

Comment

how did my post I just did JUMP to this post ???????? wow!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X