Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona Wagon (Delete Option, Fixed Roof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a lovely looking wagon. I hope you get it up and running soon.
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

Really nice wagon! I have a '64 with 3rd seat and also wondered how they shoe-horned that spare as mine has a solid piece of sheet metal which blocks any tire from the well. It sounds like you're on the right path and will have it running soon. Good luck.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

It's been cold here so I still need to pull the starter but since there were some comments on the 3rd row seat, I took some additional photos and added them to the original post above. Looks to be factory installed to me. Maybe the spare was the add-on? The seat bottom slides to the rear fine but the seat back rests awkwardly on the spare when swung down.

If this '63 was one of the first sliding roof "delete option" models, I'm guessing it initially began manufacturing as all other Wagonaires but then the sliding hardware was omitted and the roof clamped down before the headliner was installed. But the 3rd row seat option was still offered at the time of sale and installed? Maybe the original buyer didn't think through the awkwardness of getting into this seat without a sliding roof?

The 3rd row seat seems odd (and unique?) given that it would be pretty difficult to get yourself into this seat by having to crawl in from the back over the wagon door. Haha. Maybe the original owner had young kids who wouldn't have minded this method of entry at all. Or maybe it was never used... I have no idea of course, just rambling.

Comment

The 3rd seat would be a lot easier to access when the wagon was equipped with the retractable step. You will see a indentation for it on the inside of the tailgate. If it were mine I'd be on it like white on rice getting it running & then using it daily!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My 1963 Daytona Wagonaire had the rear step option, but not the third seat. I think that all with the third seat came with the rear step.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by CSG View Post
              The 3rd row seat seems odd (and unique?) given that it would be pretty difficult to get yourself into this seat by having to crawl in from the back over the wagon door. Haha.
              That was true with nearly all three-seat wagons at that time, except for Rambler which offered a side-hinged tailgate. Until Ford came out with its 'Magic DoorGate' in 1966, it was the norm to have to crawl over the tailgate to enter and exit, which is probably why ads for them mostly showed kids sitting in the third row seat.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I wonder if the third seat or the spare was added to your wagon.
                I suspect its original, looking at the carpet in the footwell (spare tire well). Only on three-seat Daytona Wagonaires/wagons (and Custom trim in Canada) would this area have had carpet installed.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Well, Nick; I copied and pasted your link on my browser and the Registration Form came up. I filled it out and hit "Submit Registration." It bounced back "Code 404 (I think that's what it said): Internal Server Error; could not complete request," whatever that means. Hmmm.... BP
                  BINGO, Nick. I tried it again this morning and the registration and photos "went through." No problem. You should have them now to add to your group. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by CSG View Post
                    Not really ready to add it to a registry yet as I bought it on something of a whim and if I can't get it running myself will probably pass it on. I'm evacuating Iowa for the winter at the end of October, so I'm going to tinker with it for a bit longer but then it will spend winter in the garage until I get back in ~April and decide whether to work on it or part ways.
                    If you do decide to sell, you might have found a buyer for it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=wagonaire

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                      Really nice wagon! I have a '64 with 3rd seat and also wondered how they shoe-horned that spare as mine has a solid piece of sheet metal which blocks any tire from the well. It sounds like you're on the right path and will have it running soon. Good luck.
                      Rob in PA.
                      Guy told me if the roof don't slide it is not a Wagonaire but a Station Wagon.
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Guy told me if the roof don't slide it is not a Wagonaire but a Station Wagon.
                        That is true for the first ones, but not true for the last ones. Even Studebaker wasn't consistent on this.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X