Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona Wagon (Delete Option, Fixed Roof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona Wagon (Delete Option, Fixed Roof)

Last edited by CSG; 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM.

That is a nice wagon. I am surprised that it is a Daytona with a fixed roof. I am more surprised that the third seat was available/ordered with a fixed roof. It is the first that I have seen this combination.

It appears to have a radio, but no antenna. What options does the wagon have?

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi, Gary and thanks for the welcome. Truth is I know next to nothing about the car. I have yet to order the Production Order but that is on the to-do list. I'll take some additional photos and put them in the album for your to peruse.

I bought the car a month ago and it is now pushed into my garage while I try to get it running. Turns over, won't start, so started with plugs, wires, points, distributor cap, etc. Last weekend I discharged a couple of batteries tinkering around with it using starter fluid into the carb (after cutting the fuel line due to the unknown condition of the gas tank.) It seemed to want to start every few minutes on starter fluid but never actually fired up.

Yesterday I ran a line to an external gallon of gas to see if that would work better than starter fluid but now it won't turn over. The starter engages and makes one single "clank" sound as if it is trying but won't/can't turn the flywheel. I then connected my daily driver's battery via jumper cables with the same result. I even wired in a third full-size battery with the same result. So, I may have burned the starter out from the prior weekend. I'm jacking it up and getting under there today to poke around a bit. Hoping I don't ultimately discover that the engine has seized.

Comment

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. If you attend many Studebaker gatherings, you will notice out of the '63 - '66 wagons you see, yours might be about the only one that is fixed instead of sliding.

Motor wise, you might have the bendix from the starter locked in the ring gear teeth. If it is standard (if overdrive equipped - pull the handle out under the dash to lock out the overdrive), you can rock the car in high gear and that will usually break it loose. If automatic, will need to pull the starter bolts and remove starter to break it loose.

Check the timing to see if it close enough to fire and run. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

A three-seat Daytona Wagonaire with fixed roof; wow! Like Gary, that's the first one I've ever seen...or even heard about. However, all the 1963 books and dealer ordering information validate that combination being available, but it was sure rare.

'Looks like a nice wagon; you'll likely have it running soon and will enjoy it. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A less-likely cause of your single clank starter problem might be hydro-lock of one cylinder with either starting fluid or gas. It will usually self-correct as the fuel drains down past the rings, but it can cause damage if the hammering effect is too severe. I had a big block Chevy that had that problem when parked on a steep hill due to a leaky Holley.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Love your Wagonaire! Please add it to the wagonaire registry! Lots of other cool wagonaires there as the name implies. Go to wagonaire.info. Like others that third seat is very rare and desirable.

Congratulations!

Mark

Comment

Great looking Wagonaire. I host the Wagonaire Registry (thanks for the plug Bullet) and would love to have it added. To make it easy to fill in all the information asked when registering you can print a copy of the list and fill it out before hand so all you have to do is copy it to the website.
                There is no other Fixed roof 1963 on the Registry and only two other Wagonaires with the 3rd seat option. I would sure appreciate having yours added to the list.
                Thanks! Nick

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                  Great looking Wagonaire. I host the Wagonaire Registry (thanks for the plug Bullet) and would love to have it added. To make it easy to fill in all the information asked when registering you can print a copy of the list and fill it out before hand so all you have to do is copy it to the website. Thanks! Nick
                  Nick, do you have my '64 Daytona Wagonaire on your registry; Serial Number 64V15196? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I didnt realize that the fixed-roof version used the same roof panels as the sliding-roof type. I assumed that the fixed-roof used a single-piece roof panel. Furthermore I am surprised that it has a vinyl headliner as opposed to a cardboard headliner like the sliding-roof type. Cool, I learned something today!
                    By the way, I have a 1963 sliding-roof Wagonaire with the same Champagne Gold exterior, but with blue & white interior.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      That is a nice wagon. I am surprised that it is a Daytona with a fixed roof. I am more surprised that the third seat was available/ordered with a fixed roof. It is the first that I have seen this combination.

It appears to have a radio, but no antenna. What options does the wagon have?

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
                      With the added pictures I see that it is a V8, AT, A/C, radio, but no ps, pb or clock.
                      It shows a spare wheel/tire. A third seat would come with Captive Air tires and no spare. I wonder if the third seat or the spare was added to your wagon.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Not really ready to add it to a registry yet as I bought it on something of a whim and if I can't get it running myself will probably pass it on. I'm evacuating Iowa for the winter at the end of October, so I'm going to tinker with it for a bit longer but then it will spend winter in the garage until I get back in ~April and decide whether to work on it or part ways.

Gary, I'm unsure about the options so I added several more photos to the post. Maybe you can deduce the options.

I spent the day slowly getting the car up on blocks so I can get under there and have enough room to poke around. I removed and cleaned the engine ground on the passenger side front of the motor (below the AC compressor) and also the battery ground just under the driver side valve cover but that did not alleviate the starter issue. I checked the oil today and it looks brand new, golden brown and clear like it was just poured in yesterday. The only thing that has really changed since last weekend has been the temperature, so the starter not turning the flywheel when it was working fine 7 days ago is still a mystery.

Skip, hydro-lock due to starter fluid seems a remote possibility since the vehicle sat for a full week before I tried to start it again this weekend and was greeted with the single clank symptom. Was hoping for a corroded ground but ruled that out unless there is another (more primary?) ground I missed. I'll revisit this if 62champ's suggestion below doesn't work out.

62champ, after thinking about this a bit, you may be onto something here. I recall my final crank attempt last weekend resulting in the motor almost firing and so the starter bendix must have disengaged (and just spun for a second or two) as the motor was spinning up. So, it's possible when the starter stopped spinning and came to rest that the bendix is just slightly misaligned and is just banging into the teeth of the flywheel instead of engaging. That sounds exactly like what is happening to me. Now that I have the car up on blocks I can remove the starter, check this and applying some lubricant.

I noticed a T-handle under the dash near the AC blower and didn't know what it was, thought maybe a parking brake but this is an overdrive lockout? I've pushed and pulled on it but it doesn't seem to want to move. Probably seized from lack of use, I'm guessing. This car is automatic, so I assume pulling the starter is the only way to check and re-align the bendix even if this is an overdrive model?

Comment

The black T-handle to the right is a parking brake.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Nick, do you have my '64 Daytona Wagonaire on your registry; Serial Number 64V15196? BP
                            No I don't Bob. I would be proud to see it added if you would be so kind. Pictures are always welcome, up to six. The first picture you add will be the one that shows up on the banner at the top of the home page. The newest Wagonaire is always the first one shown. Take a look:

wagonaire.info

Would love to see that White Daytona next!
                            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                              No I don't Bob. I would be proud to see it added if you would be so kind. Pictures are always welcome, up to six. The first picture you add will be the one that shows up on the banner at the top of the home page. The newest Wagonaire is always the first one shown. Take a look:

wagonaire.info

Would love to see that White Daytona next!
                              Nick
                              Well, Nick; I copied and pasted your link on my browser and the Registration Form came up. I filled it out and hit "Submit Registration." It bounced back "Code 404 (I think that's what it said): Internal Server Error; could not complete request," whatever that means. Hmmm.... BP

Comment

Working...
                              X