Thread: 1957 grill

Champion Member

1957 grill

I have a 57 1/2 ton pickup with the fiberglass grill that keeps cracking. Would it be possible to replace this grill with a metal one from a different year? If so what year would fit with the least modification? Thanks

Silver Hawk Member
    While I've not done the retrofit, the '54-56 would be the most likely to fit with the fewest modifications. Make sure to get the headlight bezels and parking light lenses, as they're unobtainum.

jack vines
    PackardV8

I would find out WHY the cracking is happening, I have had my 1 Ton Dually Transtar since 1989, and had no cracking with a much harder riding Truck then a 1/2 Ton with no problems.

If the Radiator Support and Cab Mounts are incorrect, Frame outriggers rusted out, Frame cracked etc. that would be why.

Unless you regularly follow too close behind Rock Trucks, I don't know what else would cause that!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    While I've not done the retrofit, the '54-56 would be the most likely to fit with the fewest modifications. Make sure to get the headlight bezels and parking light lenses, as they're unobtainum.

jack vines
    What Jack said. However, the 2R-series 49-53 grilles are much easier to find and will be relatively inexpensive -- BUT they only cover the area between the front fenders and would leave the mounting holes on the front of the fenders exposed.

Here are a couple:
    https://tinyurl.com/ycz69cek