Thread: Help with formula for 1940 Studebaker paint color

Commander Member

Help with formula for 1940 Studebaker paint color

Is anyone able to help me with a lead to find a formula in order to mix me a sample of the 1940 Color Colleen Green Light ? My local paint shops here in Australia haven't been able to identify a formula based on the codes I provided them. I would be grateful for any leads anyone knows of.
    Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Commander Member
    Good luck. I am in the same boat, however I do not even know the colour name I have. Hopefully someone here can help you with a current code because as you found out the old codes mean nothing today. Unless you find an old paint chip book from the '40s.

If you have the colour available (on your vehicle?) you can have it scanned, but that may not provide a match either, as I found out. Alternatively you can start going through the current paint chip books to find a match and current paint code. I pick up my sample today to see how close my "match" is. If you don't have a sample to match or scan you may have to purchase one of the on line paint chip pages from the '40's that has Colleen Green Light on it and go from there. As I said, good luck. It may take awhile to get a correct match.

Commander Member
    Thanks for replying and good luck to you as well. I think you are right, it may be just a matter of sitting down with the guy at the paint shop and going through some chips , then getting a couple of different samples made up and seeing how they look sprayed out as a larger sample. Hopefully we will get there !!

When you look at paint chips glued to a white page, you'll be fooled by the light page color, so be sure to use a dark paper with a hole for the color chip. Back in the mid 80's I picked out light and dark greens to paint a steam engine I made, but when I tried a sample I found it was much lighter than it looked on the page. I had to mix a pint of black with the pint of green to get it as dark as I first thought it was.

Commander Member
    The chips I looked at had holes in the centre of the chip so you could put it directly over the sample.

Once you find some that are close, take them outside to see it in natural light.