4-cylinder 2019 Chevy Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    It is going to be tough for us old fogies to get used to electric cars that can smoke any internal combustion production car made and 4 cylinder cars (and trucks) that can skool their V6 and V8 counterparts. We may never get there.
    I experienced that when I used to ride the bus regularly years and years ago. The local transit system's fleet of CCF Brill trolley buses easily outperformed their diesel and gasoline counterparts as far as acceleration, especially on steep hills; even fully loaded at rush-hour.

Craig

Comment

My Jetta diesel and my wife's Mazda5 both get up and scoot with four cylinders and get great and reasonable mileage.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Bob,
        Re your article, thanks for the post. Can you imagine seeing this in writing in the late sixties and seventies?
        The 2.7-liter has a new eight-speed automatic transmission, while the 4.3-liter V-6 soldiers on with an old six-speed automatic gearbox.
        How things have changed.

Clark in post # 3,
        Some years ago my wife purchased from an estate a super low mileage1983 cadillac sedan deville d'elegance which was equipped with the aluminum 4.1 Cadillac motor trying to both meet emissions and get decent mileage. It was so pathetic I replaced it with a done-up Oldsmobile W30 455 CID complete with all the usual hot rodding tricks such as Hooker Headers, Holley Intake, Mondello camshaft etc. We keep a log and the mileage did not change one iota but we gained about 200 HP and 265 lbs ft of torque. What a sleeper and we still have it today and it never ceases to amaze me how well it turned out(lots of other mods too). It'll out drive most Mustangs and Camaros on a winding road. As the saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement. But perhaps this should be ammended today to state technology.

Bill

Comment

In 1999, I bought a 2000 dodge, 8 liter, V10. I still have it, and it has been a total work horse. It has rarley been driven, without a loaded trailer, or large load of cargo, and has never missed a beat. I just got in from the hills yesterday, with a cord and a half of wood on it. I'm sure we'll never see another V10 be mass produced.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

For 50 grand, I could build two 10 second Larks .

Comment

Tom,
              I too own a '96 Dodge V10 stick duallie. Other than the fuel mileage which is always 10-12 it will haul practicality anything. At one point I hauled a 30,000lb ex-US army 10 WD firetruck (Deuce and a half) from the US border to our place in the BC wilderness. I used Mopar camshaft, headers etc and was truly amazed at the torque and HP actually available. Most of the time first and second are not necessary, just start off in third. Can you imagine the SRT version?
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X