Thread: New Aluminum Radiator

Champion Member

New Aluminum Radiator

Just got my new custom built radiator this morning from CGJ.com in Alabama.
    Thanks for the tip Mike!
    quality is excellent & it fits perfectly - so well in fact that it took 35 minutes to install.
    For $495 delivered, I consider this a steal
    needless to say it runs much cooler now
    BF5CB0AE-17E5-4564-9AE4-F0E09D09940D.jpg

Golden Hawk Member
    Good to hear some positive feedback. I purchased a radiator from them for my '51 Commander but haven't had time to install it yet.

Do you happen to have photos of the top of the radiator? Wondering if it looks close to the original design. Thanks.

President Member
    Wow! Looks like a perfect C-K cooling solution. I'm installing a somewhat modified 308 next year so I'm sure I'll be a player for this bolt-in.
    Cheers, Bill

The CGJ Aluminum Radiators must be a LOT different than most of the 100 to 200 $ ones most here have been using!

The Picture is a bit small and dark but, other than you painting it Black, it still looks a LOT like an original with a tapered down on the ends, rounded looking Top Tank. Are my eyes deceiving me? This looks WAY better than most.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    There's pics on the manufacturer's website. https://www.cgj.com/search-results?sv=studebaker

They don't look anything like the original radiators. But as I was telling someone just a couple of days ago.. "It'll look just fine with the hood closed".

Silver Hawk Member
    Sorry to be the one to say it, but those prices are off the charts. The $159, including shipping, radiator I put in my 56 Wagon is awesome.
    sals54

I have to agree with Sal. The $125 delivered one I put in my Hawk doesn't appear significantly different. The copper and brass one I put in my '54 Chevy a couple years ago was $169, and the OEM one I put in my '99 Honda last Saturday was just $77.34 including both hoses, delivered.

4 Drift Parts Radiator.jpg $179, welded aluminum, for my Sky Hawk, delivered...

I think this may be a case of getting what you pay for. The less expensive ones are probably fine and will last a few years, and they have a 'lifetime' warranty but there is no mistaking the quality and craftsmanship of the other one. I've tried the KKS and after some work, it fit and worked fine.

I am looking forward to trying the CGJ for the next job. Just looking at the ad, I see they are proud of what they do and a like the fact they use decent materials..

I checked out the CGJ website, and they recommend aluminum, but they also make very nice copper-brass versions. They are custom made, and didn't hint about the cost, but I would bet that they are good quality. I still prefer copper over aluminum, for the fact that I have seen radiators from the 40s and 50s still in service, while many cars 10 - 15 years old, are getting their aluminum (not repairable), radiator, changed out. I had the original radiator from my 60 Hawk, cleaned and pressure tested, and at 58 years old, it is doing great.

Champion Member
    I bought 2 Summit Racing aluminum rads & returned both.
    you get what you pay for & the Summit ones couldn’t even line up the hole in the tank with the inlet/outlet pipes
    i cut myself on ragged edges of some welds. Plus the specific 2nd rad I ordered didn’t fit because it was 1/2 inch wider than the stated specs.
    as I said you get what you pay for!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champion Member
    any cheaper & they’ll be paying you to take them.
    don’t know where your brass rad came from but locally in Texas I was quoted $400 - $600just for a recore

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chartrain View Post
    as I said you get what you pay for!
    Exactly.

In the case of my '51, CGJ is the only option for a new, bolt-in radiator. The radiator in my car is nearly 70 years old.. To me it's worth it to replace it simply for the peace of mind.

Either way, I'd rather spend a little more money for a product made in the US, and support a company that's chosen to make a part specifically for Studebakers.

If the only thing that matters is saving a buck... This hobby is the wrong way to go about it.
    Last edited by mbstude; 10-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Champion Member
    Agreed on all counts