Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Charging problem

I took my Lark to cruisers weekend and she did great..... until Sunday when she stopped charging my battery.

I pulled out my meter and my generator was spitting out 14 volts but the voltage regulator wasn’t sending any of it to the battery. I’ve done a little bit of research and some say that it could be cause of dirty points, interesting. Others talked about solid state voltage regulator as a replacement.

Could someone school me on what is happening?

What would you all recommend for a fix? Modern alternator or fix what I got?
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Try cleaning the contacts on the overload relay and cutout relay.
    The voltage regulator is the one with fine wire windings, and that sounds like it's working OK since the generator is putting out 14 volts.

Comment

TWChamp is correct about cleaning the points, but I will add that you will need a point burnishing tool to polish the clean the contacts. If something like sand paper or some other coarse material is used, the contacts will be destroyed turning the regulator into scrap. Also be sure that the connections between the battery terminal on the regulator and starter solenoid are clean and tight and that includes the connections to the ammeter if the car has one as bad connections will also cause your problem. If you decide to clean the regulator contacts be very careful as the air gap on the relay contacts will increase and could cause problems with the cut out relay operation. Do Not under any circumstances try to clean the contacts on the field or current relays. If you do, you will spend all day trying to re adjust the relays to get them back into correct adjustment. Bud

Comment

Thanks guys.

In my research, some folks talk about solid state VR and that when the stock VR goes out to replace it with a solid state VR?

I’m looking to make this car a runner. Not a DD I have a vehicle for that but if I want to tag in the Lark for the day I want to know I can get my things done for the day
        Charles

Comment

My 1950 Studebakers were my daily drivers up through the mid 70's, and they are still all stock and the most dependable cars I own.
          I've never had a stock generator or voltage regulator go out, but have had alternators go bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            My 1950 Studebakers were my daily drivers up through the mid 70's, and they are still all stock and the most dependable cars I own.
            I've never had a stock generator or voltage regulator go out, but have had alternators go bad.
            I found one. Please don’t get me wrong I’m not opposed to fixing her the way she came from Studebaker but It’s 2018 not 1961. I’m exploring all my options including factory replacements.
            Last edited by what huh; 10-12-2018, 12:54 PM.
            Charles

Comment

My 62 GT Hawk still has what I believe is its original generator on it and I've replaced the regulator twice in the 44 years I've owned it so I would say its charging system is reliable. The advantages of an alternator are higher current output and they do charge at idle where a generator won't. Please keep in mind that the original wiring in the charging system on most Studebakers is designed for no more than about 35 amps output so adding a higher output alternator such as a later internal regulator Delco will require an upgrade to part of the wiring due to the much higher current output. Bud

Comment

35 amps isn’t much. I have had thoughts about adding a radio and A/C at some point. If I’m going to do this I should upgrade my charging system.

What would be a ballpark size for running A/C, radio, factory lighting, and maybe electronic ignition?
                Charles

Comment

A Delco internal regulated alternator is a good choice as the output ranges from about 63 amps to over 100. Like I said in an earlier post, the main electrical feed wire and the original feed wire from the generator are too small in wire size for the increased output of a modern alternator. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    A Delco internal regulated alternator is a good choice as the output ranges from about 63 amps to over 100. Like I said in an earlier post, the main electrical feed wire and the original feed wire from the generator are too small in wire size for the increased output of a modern alternator. Bud
                    True, thanks Bud!
                    Last edited by what huh; 10-13-2018, 03:53 PM.
                    Charles

Comment

AS an added note, there are other alternators you can use, but a Delco alternator if it should fail, a replacement can be easily found at most auto parts stores. Also keep in mind that there are one wire and three wire version Delco alternators available. Which one you use depends on which year Lark you have and whether or not it has an idiot light or ammeter for charging indication. Bud

Comment

She has an idiot light
                        Charles

Comment

If you want to use the light and not add a voltmeter to the instrument panel, then you will need a three wire Delco alternator as a one wire alternator which is a popular choice due to ease of installation won't support the use of the idiot light and a volt meter will have to be added to monitor charging. Bud

Comment

Finally got some time to poke around and decided that I’m fixing what is there and will upgrade to an altenator when the upgrades start coming around.

I started with cleaning all the connections and cleaned the points inside the VR and I found the metal clip that goes around the ceramic block broken. I took a picture and will post it when I get into the house. Still In the garage.

That must be the problem cause that’s the location that I lose voltage when I’m hitting everything with my meter.
                            Charles

Comment

It says 1464 on the side. Can I get this by itself or do I need to get a new VR unit? Any tricks up the CASO sleeves?

I found the VR on Studebaker international website for $100 but if I can fix it for cheaper I would rather do that

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1724098
                              Last edited by what huh; 10-20-2018, 03:41 PM.
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X