Thread: Today's Hurricane 10/10/'18

Today's Hurricane 10/10/'18

Boy!...I'm not educated whatsoever in weather forecasting, but this hurricane seems to be turning into a huge event! And, I recall the scenes in the movie "JAWS," where those who depended on tourism tried to keep the bad news quiet. I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer," but for now, things are not encouraging weatherwise. I live over 450 miles from Panama Beach, the hurricane has yet to make landfall, and already, it seems as though the rain showers we are experiencing are tropical rainfall type, outer bands.

If the breadth of this storm holds up, even if we are west of the worst, the rainfall alone coupled with saturated ground, could play havoc with fallen trees (with only moderate wind) and landslides. For those who are in the path, and the folks currently suffering from the aftermath of hurricane Florence, I can't imagine having to cope with another one so soon. So my cautious side concludes that we should expect the worst, and pray for the best.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

My prep is complete... (Looks like we are on the LHS of the cone of death)...
    Everything loose is inside. (plants, lawn chairs, patio furniture, stuff)
    Lawn and pastures mowed last Mon/Tues.
    Generator out in its run position.
    Fuel cans full.
    Went to empty the garbage cans at the recycle center... Grrrrr. Closed for the storm. (Schools closed, too)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Good luck to all of you close to the path of the storm. Hopefully it will calm down a bit before it makes landfall. We are high and dry, here in NV, but just had our first snow, two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    Hopefully it will calm down a bit before it makes landfall.
    Warmer Gulf waters just feed it more and more energy; and warmer atmosphere just holds more moisture that will manifest itself as more rain. But we will continue to ignore the science.

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    We are on the east side of the storm but far enough away that so far we've only had a few wind gusts and a couple light rain showers. It is rumbling quite a bit a few miles out in the gulf and we might get some heavier rain in a bit. Looks like the worst is far to the west and north of us. Hope the folks in the Big Bend area are OK. Bill

Science?
    Here we go again......
    Stop it on the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    Warmer Gulf waters just feed it more and more energy; and warmer atmosphere just holds more moisture that will manifest itself as more rain. But we will continue to ignore the science.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Science?
    Here we go again......
    Stop it on the forum...
    Thanks, Jeff; much appreciated.

Hang on, y'all, and best wishes. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

As of 4pm Wed..........

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-10-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

The Florida panhandle, SE Alabama, and SW Georgia were hit hard.
    Storm was (and still is) very strong and widespread...

Our power went out at 2:30am this morning, but our Co-op busted butt and had us up around 3:0pm this afternoon.
    Still pretty windy, but we had no damage.

By three o'clock this afternoon, the clouds cleared, and now at five thirty, it is sunny and pleasantly windy. However, my rain gauge tells me at over four inches of rain...it is more than twice the amount Florence dumped this far west! Our hilltop survived just fine, but rivers are again overflowing, trees are falling, and in the neighboring towns, huge old oaks are down across homes and power lines. However, we are hardly touched compared to folks in the direct path of the storm. So far, my worst experience has been nice green leaves blown off my maple trees, the hens have a few ruffled feathers, and my goats got wet.

I am blessed and have prayers for those who suffered real damage and loss.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Geeze, 'saw some pictures of Mexico Beach in the panhandle; hit real hard. War zone! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member
    While Michael was visiting Florida, this is what was happening in Duluth yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEmLi3qnZKw
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The town of Mexico Beach, FL is severely damaged. It seems so severe that it doesn't look like the residents can rebuild. Wet and wild tends to produce effects like this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hurr...lorida-2018-10
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.