Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again...

Another ugly hurricane on the prowl. I hope you folks along he gulf have gotten out of the way. Looks like Florida, Alabama, Georgia, North and South Carolina will be affected. It is a fast mover so those of us that got smacked so hard by Florence will not get as much rain or wind as we did the last time. Hang in there everybody and please be careful.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Well, Joe...I just posted another thread on this topic. I did not see this one until after I posted mine. But, if this storm is a big as projections, there might be room here for more than one thread. OF course, I recall that the forecasts for Florence were much worse than the actual storm was, but then all the flooding seemed to be worse in scope than initial projections. Even is this one loses much of its current velocity once it hits land, the current projected path for flooding does not bode well from those not yet recovered from the flood waters dumped by Florence.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think it depends on where you were located if Florence was as bad as folks expected. In the Fayetteville area all but one bridge over the Cape Fear River was open until about a week after the storm. Even then lots of back roads were cut off. Lots homes beyond repair. It is still a mess around here.

Hopefully the forward speed of Michael will protect us from a lot more flooding and such.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

I'm just tired of the goggle-eyed newscasters breathlessly talking about how terrifying and dangerous it is, like we are all idiots who've never seen one before. Doesn't matter if it's a Cat 1 or Cat 5 - their message always seems to be, "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!".
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

And they stand out in the storm to give their report. They could just stand in a window so we can see the storm behind them and it would be safer for them and we could hear what the heck they were saying.
          I remember many years ago when a young Harvey Levin was a reporter for NBC news in Southern California (he now owns TMZ) and decided to stand in a fast rushing stream to emphasize the power and volume of the water. They fired him for that stunt. Now everybody is doing it.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This was quite a storm.
            More powerful than predicted.
            The panhandle and southern Alabama and Georgia were massively affected.
            The cottton crop in Georgia was wiped out in large swaths.
            And, while it is moving quickly, it is not over.....
            Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

By three o'clock this afternoon, the clouds cleared, and now at five thirty, it is sunny and pleasantly windy. However, my rain gauge tells me at over four inches of rain...it is more than twice the amount Florence dumped this far west! Our hilltop survived just fine, but rivers are again overflowing, trees are falling, and in the neighboring towns, huge old oaks are down across homes and power lines. However, we are hardly touched compared to folks in the direct path of the storm. So far, my worst experience has been nice green leaves blown off my maple trees, the hens have a few ruffled feathers, and my goats got wet.

I am blessed and have prayers for those who suffered real damage and loss.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We had rain, sometimes heavy sometimes not, wind all day yesterday . Doesn't look like addtional damage added to that of Florence didn't happen. I think the storm track shifted west. My son lives near Winston-Salem and lost power. The creek that runs through their property was higher than anybody in the neighborhood has ever seen. Raleigh and Chapel Hill had some road to be closed due to flooding. I think the Tar Heel state was fairly lucky this time.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                X