Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a Good Product for Vinyl Door Panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Good Product for Vinyl Door Panels?

Someone recovered my 1950 front two door pulls incorrectly, so I got some good panel material at a junk yard. The material is flexible, but I'd like to find something to bring the color back to look as nice as my door panels. I've never tried this before, but will try to stitch some correct door handle covers after I get the vinyl looking better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Land Cruiser Door Handle 1950.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	1759557

Have your local paint store mix up some SEM vinyl dye to match what's on your car. That's what I did on this '55.. The front seat was reupholstered as close to original as I could get. Then I dyed the door panels and rear seat to match.

If you're going to use the faded material to reupholster the arm rests, you may want to do the upholstering before you dye it.

Last edited by mbstude; 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Don't know why vinyl paint is called dye cause it is paint. It does not penetrate into the vinyl and magically change its color. More like a flexible paint. cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Just another misnomer. We have a lot of them in the English language (or at least the American language). We incorrectly call bison buffalo, native Americans Indians, engines motors, etc. While I'm on the subject of language where did the "rule" come from that, to make a noun plural, you add an apostrophe before the "s" ? I frequently see something like: "Six Avanti's and four Hawk's attended the meet." Correct usage would be: "Six Avantis and four Hawks attended the meet."
        -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
          Just another misnomer. We have a lot of them in the English language (or at least the American language). We incorrectly call bison buffalo, native Americans Indians, engines motors, etc. While I'm on the subject of language where did the "rule" come from that, to make a noun plural, you add an apostrophe before the "s" ? I frequently see something like: "Six Avanti's and four Hawk's attended the meet." Correct usage would be: "Six Avantis and four Hawks attended the meet."
          -Dwight
          Not to be pedantic, cause you probably already know the answer. It's because people confuse the plural form (six Avantis) and possessive (Avanti's bumper). Same thing happens with its and it's. And sometimes (though not correct) it clarifies things to use an apostrophe to pluralize an abbreviation or acronym.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Not to be pedantic, cause you probably already know the answer. It's because people confuse the plural form (six Avantis) and possessive (Avanti's bumper). Same thing happens with its and it's. And sometimes (though not correct) it clarifies things to use an apostrophe to pluralize an abbreviation or acronym.
            That's how I look at it. If I want plural cars, then it's Studebakers and Model A's.
            Model As doesn't look right to me, and I'd have to wonder what was meant.

Comment

I know that in English it's always been common to add the apostrophe is cases like Model A's, because single letters turned to plurals just don't look right otherwise. Plus "As" could be confused with "as" in some contexts and some sentences
              I've also learned that wrongly adding apostrophes for plurals isn't as new a trend as I used to think. People have been making the mistake for many decades. I do think that we see much more of it now because English writing and grammar have been taught and reinforced so poorly for at least 20 years. It's getting worse, and even newpapers and online news sources are getting very sloppy. I keep wondering if anyone actually proofreads new articles anymore before they are posted.
              Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              That's how I look at it. If I want plural cars, then it's Studebakers and Model A's.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Geeze. I apologize for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  The U.S. Army (& I) agree with you. The Army grammar guide states that the plural of a nomenclature-type noun uses an apostrophe. For example: "Six ZSU-23-4's and four 2S6's attended the meet." (These are Russian tracked, air-defense-artillery vehicles). So, yes: "Six Model A's." Clarity comes first.
                  -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Geeze. I apologize for responding.
                    SEM vinyl paint is great stuff. I used Bluebird Brown to color my black armrests a couple years ago, after searching for over a year and never finding the correct brown armrests. SEM was a perfect match to my NOS rear armrests. I've had no problem finding NOS rears, but for some reason the fronts are nowhere to be found.

My neighbor said he has some McGuire's vinyl polish, so tomorrow I'll give it a try for the dull door panel material.

Comment

My neighbor has some Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer G14422, so I gave it a try tonight. Here's a comparison after I sprayed the first piece.

Name:	1950 Door Panel Vinyl.JPG
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1723996

Comment

Well, turns out that Meguiar's wasn't the answer, as the material was back to very dull a half hour after I took the picture.
                        I now used Formby's lemon oil furniture treatment, then used Turtle Wax polishing compound, and they now look like new.
                        The junk yard panel is over the door panel on my 50 Land Cruiser.

Name:	Door Panel Grey 1950.JPG
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1724000

Comment

Use a hand cleaner with Lanolin, and NO Grit. cleans and softens the vynil.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

I think anything that leaves some oil/wax on the surface would do the trick, just keep up applications every time you wash your car.
                            If you ever need to paint vinyl, there is that vinyl paint mentioned in other posts, but I have used Nazdar screen printing ink, can be mixed to almost any colour,
                            when thinned properly can be sprayed or brushed, really bites into the surface, will never scratch off & has a satin sheen to it, brings it up like new,

regards, Cus
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                              I think anything that leaves some oil/wax on the surface would do the trick, just keep up applications every time you wash your car.
                              If you ever need to paint vinyl, there is that vinyl paint mentioned in other posts, but I have used Nazdar screen printing ink, can be mixed to almost any colour,
                              when thinned properly can be sprayed or brushed, really bites into the surface, will never scratch off & has a satin sheen to it, brings it up like new,

regards, Cus
                              Nice tip. Thanks for that info. I'll try it on some old vinyl panels I have in storage.

Comment

Working...
                              X