Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car show stupid comment from a stupid person.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three additional, unneeded, and probably unwanted comments..

(1) If you stop going to shows because of other people (or what they might say)... Then home is where you belong.

(2) I hate the word 'Stupid'. My late father had a phrase he used to say..
    "There's no such thing as a stupid question... But there is such a thing as a stupid answer"
    All questions should be treated with respect, and a respectful answer should be given.
    But... The Internet, and in particular social media has injected a disrespectful venom into peoples manners.
    That is sad....

(3) When the peremptory 289 'Ford' question/statement comes up....
    I just hold my hands up in a piston size circle and say
    "Ford: Fat bore short stroke"... "Stude: Small bore long stroke".. Different engines altogether.
    Then... We fill in the other details.. But they instantly 'get it' and the Ford built Stude stuff goes away by itself...
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I go to both types of shows. Last weekend we were at a show that had 550 cars and was for 1972 and older. It included 25 classes. from original, modified, custom, rat rods. I will be going to (since I am directing it) a trunk or treat that has both in two weeks. What is the point of not showing the cars? If we stop going the next generation will never appreciate the cars. All we are doing are hurting them and talking the enjoyment away from ourselves. Even with both types of cars I still think the older cars are still the bell of the ball.
      51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
      53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I always ask this: "When did Ford bring out the 289?" They answer "1961". I ask, "So how did Studebaker have 289's in 1956 if they used Fords?". Stumps 'em every time.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The 289 V8 is pretty common - try explaining to someone that Studebaker built trucks...they never remember seeing any so how could it be true? There is always an opportunity to educate and the majority of people are receptive to the information.

Now, if everyone who claims a friend/relative/guy in town had a Golden Hawk, Studebaker would have sold 500,000 of them...

Comment

[QUOTE=62champ;1130272]The 289 V8 is pretty common - try explaining to someone that Studebaker built trucks...they never remember seeing any so how could it be true?

I had the opposite experience once. A lady was checking out the Avanti and saw the Studebaker script and said "Huh. I thought they only built trucks."
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My opinion is bring um all on, new, old, ignorant. Most anyone can be educated, but only if they are there, and interested enough to listen. You never know when the next convert will be parked next to you. I see our job as education rather then confrontation. I try not to let the chip on my shoulder become a burden, and try to treat the ignorant with a sense of humor.

Comment

I've had just the opposite replies. Had a new Corvette drive up to my '63 GT, Super Red, R-2, and give me a thumbs up and said, "You got me beat." Had a Texas State Trooper follow me till I pulled into a restaurant parking lot, and asked me if he could look at my Hawk. And many more. Even had a fellow from the Netherlands follow me for over 50 miles as I returned home from the last International Meet in my '59 Lark. When I pulled into a gas station he pulled in behind me and complemented me on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                  There have been a few that express a near hatred or disdain for Studes with no logical expression of why they feel this way. The "round headlights" comment was just the latest, there have been others. Humans can be confounding!
                  Funny that! My dad seems to exude the same theory about AMC vehicles. It doesn't matter what kind it is, what year it is, or what trim level it is to him. If it says AMC anywhere on the car, he loathes it! He can't seem to list a definite reason beyond "they're crap" either. I love him all the same though.
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Studebaker didn't build trucks

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    The 289 V8 is pretty common - try explaining to someone that Studebaker built trucks...they never remember seeing any so how could it be true? There is always an opportunity to educate and the majority of people are receptive to the information.

Now, if everyone who claims a friend/relative/guy in town had a Golden Hawk, Studebaker would have sold 500,000 of them...
                    I have a M series Streetrod , It admazes me how many look at it and say didn't know Studebaker built trucks. On other hand , a lot come up and say they drove a Studebaker truck at work or on a farm .
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I always enjoy when asked, who made that car and what model is it. My reply is either an Avanti R2 or my 63 GT Hawk. Oh yea, a Grand Torino. After a correction, they ask who made Studebaker? Oh boy, what fun. Then the best is where in Italy.................? Yikes................here we go again.

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                        I have a M series Streetrod , It admazes me how many look at it and say didn't know Studebaker built trucks. On other hand , a lot come up and say they drove a Studebaker truck at work or on a farm .
                        I get the "didn't know Studebakers built trucks," comment a lot when I'm out with my Champ. I live out in the country and my neighbor across the street says his dad used to drive a Studebaker pickup around the farm.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Reading just the subject line of this thread, I don't need to read any more. Such experiences are no surprise and one of the main reasons I've not done shows for so long. All the best.

Comment

So..., if a person is interested in collector cars..., they either stay home..., keep their mouth shut..., or study up and knew EVERYTHING about Studebaker's before arriving so as to not antagonize certain Studebaker owners? Really? You have a manufacture that hasn't built a car in 52 years, their product wained in the buy publics opinion (all that time ago) and there are those who become disturbed because some people never heard of Studebaker or are confused about aspects regarding them? I'm surprised this oversight hasn't made the cover of Time magazine.

There is the option of having a CONVERSATION (rather than a corrective encounter) with people. And even if they still don't "get it" I'm doubtful it will effect the rotation of the planet.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                              If anyone questions me about Studebakers it is usually the unusual look they have. I don't see it.
                              I always tell them that unlike today there were 100's of car manufacturers in the 60's and each had to stand out from each other to survive.
                              As for the window winders well you just wind them the opposite way. Is that so hard ?
                              pb
                              "100's of car manufacturer in the 60's"??? Not in America, in addition to Studebaker you had General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, American Motors, International Harvester, Willys, Kaiser Jeep and the big truck manufacturers along with small specialized producers. Nothing close to 100 much less 100's. You would need to go back to pr depression America for that to be true. Do not confuse brands with manufacturers.

Comment

If you show, and your skin it too thin to take the bad comments with the good, my advice is to do what Mary did, write up a summary of what you would like the public to know about you car, or about the company, and display it with the car. That way you can do what we like to do and flee the seen as soon as we get to a show. That we can enjoy the show. If there is time, and the interest we can later get back to meet people face to face. While I certainly remember some of the silly comments made by the uninitiated, my experiences over the last fifty years have been overwhelmingly positive. I disagree, wholeheartedly, with those who choose to abdicate, what I see, as their opportunity tell the Studebaker story.

Comment

Working...
                                X