289 in a Studebaker pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 in a Studebaker pickup?

I'm considering putting a 289 V8 in either my 2R5 or E5 truck. I think I can handle the throttle linkage, gas line and electrical but am wondering about the motor mounts. Has anyone done this engine swap? Are motor mounts available? Are manual transmissions readily available for this engine? Thanks!

Studebaker put V8s in C-cab pickups from 1955-64. Just find a wrecked/junked truck and get motor mounts, bell housing, clutch, flywheel, throttle linkage, et al. Transmissions were variously, 3-speed T86/T90, T85/T89, the 4-speed T98 and a few Borg-Warner automatics.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I placed a 259 using standard transmission with overdrive in my 2R5 and had no difficulty. Maybe my '52 was different but I sincerely doubt it. The motor mounts and transmission fit in existing holes. I have seen folks real concerned...I do not know why, enough said. chet445

Comment

Also water pump manifold. the fan sits up higher to mimic where it was on the big 6.
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Just for comparison I put a 259 v8 in to my 54 sedan I think the motor mounts are most likely the same, the V8 fit into the same mounts as the six. The rear crossmember had to be drilled but the rear mount sat right on top of it. I didn't have to butcher anything. For some additional clearance for the steering arm to clear the oil pan I moved the engine back one inch from the original holes. To look at it now it looks factory.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the responses. I see it's not a difficult job after all.

Comment

What Jack Vines said. There are a lot of little nits that can present problems that are easily solved with a V8 parts truck. Beginning in 1955, the frames should already be drilled for the V8; before that, not so much.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I agree with the above. It can be easily done, but much better with a donor pickup for the specific parts. especially the water pump stuff. Either that or you'll have to fabricate the lower hose stuff as I had to.

Comment

I have a complete truck V8 setup that I’d consider letting go. But you’re a long way from Florida.

Comment

Working...
                  X