Turner dual MC, photo wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner dual MC, photo wanted

Could someone who has installed a Turner dual MC kit onto a 47-52 car please post a photo of the finished installation? I’m having a hard time figuring out how the actuating rod that goes from the pedal to the MC piston is supposed to line up with the dual MC shifted further to the right than original. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not mine but I think it is as Turner intended it to be.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_123223.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1723974

Comment

Here are pics from below of the installation pictured above. It's pretty tight in there. Do these help?

Name:	20181007_093349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1723977Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_093404.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1723978Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_093131.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1723979Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_093151.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1723980Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_093037.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1723981
      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
        Here are pics from below of the installation pictured above. It's pretty tight in there. Do these help?
        Yes!! That helps a lot. Thank you. Now that I can see what the setup is supposed to look like, I see what I'm missing.

What sort of pin did you use to connect the brake pedal to the MC pushrod? There's nothing in the kit that I purchased, and the original pin is too short. I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by mbstude; 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Matthew, I picked up that clevis pin at my local Ace Hardware. I don't remember the size, but it had several holes so was a variable length. I used the appropriate hole and ground the end down to fit for length. Like this:

Name:	Clevis.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1723987
          Agreed that the kit is not plug & play, took quite a bit of fiddling and thought to get it done but I'm happy with it now.
          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Thanks Garry, I'll try my local Ace. It's obvious now that I see how it's supposed to go together, but not so much when pieces are missing and the instructions aren't very clear. Thanks again!

Comment

No problem. Let me know if I can help further.
              3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Matt- On my '60 Lark the supplied pin wouldn't work; the rod was way off center. I made a new one using a grade 8 bolt , washers, and lock nuts.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1723990

Comment

One look at this difficult to maintain, Repair and Replace mess, reaffirms my position of leaving the well engineered Factory Single M/C that works VERY well alone!

The one in 5000 or more owners who did not pay attention to the puddle under the M/C or the spongy or Low Pedal, and had an "Incident" does NOT worry me.

Name:	Dual Master Cyl.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1723995
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Bruce, nice to see another solution to a similar problem. In my case, I’ve ordered a couple of different length grade 8 shoulder bolts to try out.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    One look at this difficult to maintain, Repair and Replace mess, reaffirms my position of leaving the well engineered Factory Single M/C that works VERY well alone!

The one in 5000 or more owners who did not pay attention to the puddle under the M/C or the spongy or Low Pedal, and had an "Incident" does NOT worry me.
                    Thanks you for such a helpful and informative response.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Cut/Thank you for such a helpful and informative response.
                      It COULD BE, if anyone concerned about future maintenance cares!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76192[/ATTACH]
                        I agree.
                        I've never had a brake failure with any single piston master cylinder, but have had lines rust and pop on my later dual master cylinder cars. It wakes you up when the pedal suddenly goes almost to the floor and the car only slows to a stop. A dual master most likely won't keep you out of an accident if you drive the way I see most people drive. They race up to the stop light, then brake hard to a stop. If one side failed on the master, they would be into the rear of the car in front of them before they even knew what happened.

Comment

One look at this difficult to maintain, Repair and Replace mess...
                          That's my “mess”. It was planned and executed with care and attention to detail. Maybe not your thing, but it's MY car and I plan to drive it for many trouble free miles. Someday when needed, the master cylinder can be swapped out in a few minutes.
                          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Actually, I think it is very well, and neatly done.

It is just too complicated and nothing I would EVER want to work on, or have on any of my under the Floor M/C Studes.

The remote fill is a pain to install, but definitely better than the no access alternative.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              I agree.
                              I've never had a brake failure with any single piston master cylinder, but have had lines rust and pop on my later dual master cylinder cars. It wakes you up when the pedal suddenly goes almost to the floor and the car only slows to a stop. A dual master most likely won't keep you out of an accident if you drive the way I see most people drive. They race up to the stop light, then brake hard to a stop. If one side failed on the master, they would be into the rear of the car in front of them before they even knew what happened.
                              When I had my one failure, I was driving SLOW, which IMHO is the only way to drive a stock 2R5. It wasn't the master that failed, it was both the rear wheel cyls (NEW Stainless Sleeved). I never caught it. Now, I not only have a dual pot MC, but check the fluid every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X