Thread: The last time I saw one of those.......

The last time I saw one of those.......

A Chevy Citation...

Only this past week I saw one on the road

Per Wikipedia, the last one was made June 21, 1985; or 33+ years ago.

Chevrolet Citation production
    Year Sales
    1980 811,540
    1981 413,379
    1982 165,557
    1983 92,184
    1984 97,205
    1985 62,722

So, more likely a older one than later one.

It was definitely a "survivor" grade unit (would anyone ever restore one?). Vintage patina with a chunk of something hanging below dragging on the road.

Jeff in ND

Silver Hawk Member
    Funny you should mention one of those. Friday AM I passed a Orange Chevette that would be about the same time frame or possibly earlier. Body was in good shape and the paint was shinny and no visible rust. I had a 72 that I drove the wheels off and then passed it on to my son as his first car. It finally took a major collision to put it down and that was due to no value left. As opposed to other GM products of that era, that little devil just started, ran and never let us down.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    I was a salesman at O'Reilly Chevrolet on the first day they went on sale. Lots of excitement and one of the people I "uped" was actually a zone representative from Ford! Started out with a big bang because the cars at the time were reasonable priced, drove well and just felt different that anything else Chevy had to offer. Remember back then it was the Chevette, Monza, Nova, Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Impala/Caprice.

Sadly within a year, if you optioned up a Citation, price would top at $9,000. Then there were the recalls and transmission failure and bye bye Citation.

By the way, what other car had a model name of Citation? Easy question, I know.

Bob Miles

President Member
    Edsel , Ed

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jts359 View Post
    Edsel , Ed
    Yup, that the one. Another Edsel model was the Pacer, and Ford must have liked the Ranger name so much they used it for the smaller pick up. If you change one of the letters in a model of the Edsel you get Corvair.

Other than the Ranger and to some degree the Citation, the other models were not as successfully used by other auto builders. At least Ford did not take the suggestions of poet Marianne Moors's name thoughts of "Utopian Turtletop," "Pastelogram," "Turcotinga," "Resilient Bullet," "Andante con Moto" and "Mongoose Civique".

Yup went a little off topic but hoped it brought a smile to you.

Bob Miles

I thought a Chevy citation was something that a law enforcement officer gave to the driver of a Chevrolet when they had been pulled over for speeding.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Grandpa on my Mom's side had a '81 Olds Omega (same chassis as a Citation). I drove it once about 20 miles on a rural highway. It was the first time I ever drove anything with FWD and was not impressed with the handling. Maybe something was wrong with it but it seemed hard to keep it between the lines. His next and last car was a '87 Olds Cutlass Ciera and that was less squirrelly IMO.

Jeff in ND

FWD cars of that era were noted for torque steer though some were better than others in that regard. In mid-70s Honda Civics the torque steer could be bad enough to want to jump in the adjacent lane if you hit the throttle too quick.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Speedster Member
    Last week I saw a Yugo in Payson, AZ. Maneuvered to catch up with it to positively identify. It was orange, and didn't appear to be a restoration of any type. Thought those things had disappeared years ago.

tempestan

Golden Hawk Member
    One day last week, I spotted a DeLorean going the other way on a county road about one mile from our home.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Saw a Vega buzzing across town about two weeks ago. It had been hot-rodded long ago, and it looked like the driver was the one who had originally done the hot-rodding of it. It was in grey primer with huge rear tires and something sticking out of the hood.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

I probably had at least a couple hundred of those in their time (Citation/Omega/Phoenix/Skylark) as a used car dealer. I can tell you that as a whole they or excellent cars for their class and time. I am sure that I own pretty much every model, body configuration, trim level, and drivetrain combination. Sure, there can be a lemon in any group, but overall they were rocksolid dependable cars. The only consistent problem I remember with them was drivability with the early V6 carbureted versions. The iron Duke based 4 Tech engine was absolutely unstoppable.

Will they ever be collectible? The answer is, they already are. Thousands and thousands of people remember driving them into the ground as good little cars. And a lot of kids grew up in them. Now most of them remember them fondly, and have interest in having one as a memento of the time. Pretty much the same as every other collectible car.

Personally, I would jump right on a copy of the first car that I ever gave Linda when we first started going together: ‘81 Omega two door, four-cylinder, stick shift on the floor, blue with those really great blue velour seats. I taught her how to drive a stick shift in that car, and it never gave us a minutes trouble. We only got rid of it because I found a real pretty Pontiac 6000 that was a few years newer, but that’s another story :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tempestan View Post
    Last week I saw a Yugo in Payson, AZ. Maneuvered to catch up with it to positively identify. It was orange, and didn't appear to be a restoration of any type. Thought those things had disappeared years ago.
    I still see some late '80's/early 90's Ford Festivas (which is essentially a Kia) used on a daily basis around here.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    (Citation/Omega/Phoenix/Skylark) Will they ever be collectible? The answer is, they already are.
    I'd sure like to know who's collecting them. I can't say I've EVER seen one at a car show, and I've attended many. Not counting F-body Camaro/Firebirds, trucks or Fieros, the only GM products from that era I've seen at car shows are one or two J-body convertibles and maybe one all-original very low mileage Chevette.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Yup, that the one. Another Edsel model was the Pacer, and Ford must have liked the Ranger name so much they used it for the smaller pick up. If you change one of the letters in a model of the Edsel you get Corvair.
    Ford did market a 'Corsair' in England from 1963 - 1970. It was an upmarket model from the Cortina, and below the Zodiac/Zephyr range.

Craig

There are two identical brown Cadillac Cimmarons still plying about town. One has the trunk mounted luggage rack; otherwise the same, in good shape, and separate owners.

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    There are two identical brown Cadillac Cimmarons still plying about town. One has the trunk mounted luggage rack; otherwise the same, in good shape, and separate owners.
    Those are J-bodies (Cavalier/Sunbird/Firenza/Skyhawk/Cimarron); not X-body. The J-body had a longer lifespan than the X-body. As I mentioned in a previous post, I actually have seen a couple of 1984 or '85 Cavalier convertibles being preserved and shown at local car show.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 10-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I'd sure like to know who's collecting them. I can't say I've EVER seen one at a car show, and I've attended many. Not counting F-body Camaro/Firebirds, trucks or Fieros, the only GM products from that era I've seen at car shows are one or two J-body convertibles and maybe one all-original very low mileage Chevette.

Craig
    You don't see Corvettes. What kind of shows are you going to?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

I hardly give a post-1975 C3 Corvette a look at a car show. They didn't excite me when they were brand new, and still don't, when compared to earlier Corvettes. There are so many low-mile examples that have been preserved, especially 1978 Pace Cars and 25th Anniversary cars around, I barely notice them anymore. Perhaps that is why I forgot to mention them, but you are correct, they always appear regularly at car shows.

Craig

President Member
    I saw a white mid 1970's Ford Pinto wagon this afternoon after picking my daughter up from school. From four or five car lengths away it looked pretty good for a 40 year old econobox.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

The last time I saw one of those.......
    I hoped it would be the last time I would see one of those!

Dave Lester

Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    I hoped it would be the last time I would see one of those!
    Well, c'mon....tell us! What WAS it that you last saw???

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Well, c'mon....tell us! What WAS it that you last saw???

Craig
    A citation, of course!

Dave Lester

Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    A Citation, of course!
    I didn't think anyone hated Citations THAT bad. I'm totally indifferent toward them as I never owned or drove one when they were common, though I did work on a few of them. I remember replacing a starter on a Skylark several years ago, and it came with some shims of varying thicknesses to use if needed, which proved to me how much GM's quality control standards were declining at the time.

With everyone else (myself included) listing other once-common cars one used to see everyday that have more or less advanced into a state of obscurity after 30 years, I thought you were going to add something else to the list!

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 10-11-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Friday AM I passed a Orange Chevette that would be about the same time frame or possibly earlier. Body was in good shape and the paint was shinny and no visible rust. I had a 72 that I drove the wheels off and then passed it on to my son as his first car.
    I don't understand how it can be a '72 when the Chevette came out in 1976.

Craig

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    There was a Citation around by my work maybe 5-6 years ago, possibly more, time flies. It looked pretty nice but had hash marks like a GS Corvette on the front fender, I don't know why.
    We had an X-11 on the used lot many years ago, it was pretty nice.
    There's an orangish red early 2dr Chevette in town. It looks like it's brand new.

President Member
    Another group fast disappearing are the 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze models. At least around here in New England. Some of the next generation are still seen from time to time.

President Member
    How's about a licensed, driving, Maverick?
    30 years ago, I worked with a secretary who drove a pretty worn out, but fancy one; dark metallic green with a vinyl roof, etc.
    She had bought it used.
    One day Ford came calling needing to buy it from her immediately, but for undisclosed reasons.
    Us lawyers huddled, reviewed their contract (for WAY over worth) & she made a counter offer on price.
    They didn't even dicker, came back with a some sort of guaranteed payment whilst she caught a ride home (they wouldn't even let her drive it) for the title.
    Signed, sealed and towed away!
    We never did find out why: mebbe a lawsuit from its prior life?
    Last edited by skyway; 10-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qsanford View Post
    Another group fast disappearing are the 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze models. At least around here in New England. Some of the next generation are still seen from time to time.
    I was thinking the same thing recently. The first gen LH cars are gone here too.

President Member
    Ford sold millions of Granada's, Mercury Monarch's from 75' through 85'. Haven't seen even one on the road in years or in a car show and found only one gutted out in a Sahuarita junk yard a few years ago. I owned a Chevy Citation which we dubbed the Chevy "Situation". That V6 was junk. Wouldn't idle or accelerate without stumbling, the handling was average and gas mileage was awful. Got tired of bringing it back to the dealer to correct the "Situation" and decided to simply sell it. Wow! For a new car the resale value was as bad as the motor but we saved money on headache medicine. I, for one, see no value in "collecting" this GM mistake. Stack a Vega on it and you've got twice the misery.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qsanford View Post
    I still see some around here. A reasonable number considering the number originally sold (as compared to GM). A nice appearing Cirrus goes by our house daily. It is one that I arranged to get sold for the widow of the original owner (never even got a thank you - I wasn't looking for a commission, just an expression of thanks for getting it sold for her after her friends had been unsuccessful). I sold a new 1999 Breeze to a policelady. Years later, she moved in just up the street and still had the car and it still looked new. Years after that, she gave it to her mother to use (more than 100K on it at that time). More recently, it went to a neighbor just up the street who gave it to her son to drive to high school. Very recently, I see that the son replaced it with a Honda. I know that it had the optional 2.4 litre engine because that is all that we stocked. I don't see many 1990s cars of any make in regular use around here.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Some readers may even finding the mention of these cars offensive, but they were really good cars for their time. When I met my, now X-wife, she was driving a new 1974 Toyota Corolla. My X was not a fan of the 1967 Camaro RS that I was driving. One day I slid under the Toyota to change the oil, and armed with my grease gun to lub it, but there were no zerk fittings. The next time she chided me about the Camaro, I made the comment we'll see what that thing looks like when it has 125K miles on it. Well I had to eat my words. About 1996 when I stopped driving the Toy when it had 275K miles on it, and still had it original struts and running gear in place. It was still running, but the valve seats were gone, and I needed to adjust the valves about once a month, so I gave up driving it. When was the last time anyone saw their last rear wheel drive Toyota, including the classy little Cellica? How about a Honda CVCC?