No announcement yet.

The last time I saw one of those.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two identical brown Cadillac Cimmarons still plying about town. One has the trunk mounted luggage rack; otherwise the same, in good shape, and separate owners.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      There are two identical brown Cadillac Cimmarons still plying about town. One has the trunk mounted luggage rack; otherwise the same, in good shape, and separate owners.
      Those are J-bodies (Cavalier/Sunbird/Firenza/Skyhawk/Cimarron); not X-body. The J-body had a longer lifespan than the X-body. As I mentioned in a previous post, I actually have seen a couple of 1984 or '85 Cavalier convertibles being preserved and shown at local car show.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 10-09-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        I'd sure like to know who's collecting them. I can't say I've EVER seen one at a car show, and I've attended many. Not counting F-body Camaro/Firebirds, trucks or Fieros, the only GM products from that era I've seen at car shows are one or two J-body convertibles and maybe one all-original very low mileage Chevette.

Craig
        You don't see Corvettes. What kind of shows are you going to?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I hardly give a post-1975 C3 Corvette a look at a car show. They didn't excite me when they were brand new, and still don't, when compared to earlier Corvettes. There are so many low-mile examples that have been preserved, especially 1978 Pace Cars and 25th Anniversary cars around, I barely notice them anymore. Perhaps that is why I forgot to mention them, but you are correct, they always appear regularly at car shows.

Craig

Comment

I saw a white mid 1970's Ford Pinto wagon this afternoon after picking my daughter up from school. From four or five car lengths away it looked pretty good for a 40 year old econobox.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

The last time I saw one of those.......
              I hoped it would be the last time I would see one of those!
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                I hoped it would be the last time I would see one of those!
                Well, c'mon....tell us! What WAS it that you last saw???

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Well, c'mon....tell us! What WAS it that you last saw???

Craig
                  A citation, of course!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                    A Citation, of course!
                    I didn't think anyone hated Citations THAT bad. I'm totally indifferent toward them as I never owned or drove one when they were common, though I did work on a few of them. I remember replacing a starter on a Skylark several years ago, and it came with some shims of varying thicknesses to use if needed, which proved to me how much GM's quality control standards were declining at the time.

With everyone else (myself included) listing other once-common cars one used to see everyday that have more or less advanced into a state of obscurity after 30 years, I thought you were going to add something else to the list!

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 10-11-2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Friday AM I passed a Orange Chevette that would be about the same time frame or possibly earlier. Body was in good shape and the paint was shinny and no visible rust. I had a 72 that I drove the wheels off and then passed it on to my son as his first car.
                      I don't understand how it can be a '72 when the Chevette came out in 1976.

Craig

Comment

There was a Citation around by my work maybe 5-6 years ago, possibly more, time flies. It looked pretty nice but had hash marks like a GS Corvette on the front fender, I don't know why.
                        We had an X-11 on the used lot many years ago, it was pretty nice.
                        There's an orangish red early 2dr Chevette in town. It looks like it's brand new.

Comment

Another group fast disappearing are the 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze models. At least around here in New England. Some of the next generation are still seen from time to time.

Comment

How's about a licensed, driving, Maverick?
                            30 years ago, I worked with a secretary who drove a pretty worn out, but fancy one; dark metallic green with a vinyl roof, etc.
                            She had bought it used.
                            One day Ford came calling needing to buy it from her immediately, but for undisclosed reasons.
                            Us lawyers huddled, reviewed their contract (for WAY over worth) & she made a counter offer on price.
                            They didn't even dicker, came back with a some sort of guaranteed payment whilst she caught a ride home (they wouldn't even let her drive it) for the title.
                            Signed, sealed and towed away!
                            We never did find out why: mebbe a lawsuit from its prior life?
                            Last edited by skyway; 10-11-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                              Another group fast disappearing are the 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze models. At least around here in New England. Some of the next generation are still seen from time to time.
                              I was thinking the same thing recently. The first gen LH cars are gone here too.

Comment

Ford sold millions of Granada's, Mercury Monarch's from 75' through 85'. Haven't seen even one on the road in years or in a car show and found only one gutted out in a Sahuarita junk yard a few years ago. I owned a Chevy Citation which we dubbed the Chevy "Situation". That V6 was junk. Wouldn't idle or accelerate without stumbling, the handling was average and gas mileage was awful. Got tired of bringing it back to the dealer to correct the "Situation" and decided to simply sell it. Wow! For a new car the resale value was as bad as the motor but we saved money on headache medicine. I, for one, see no value in "collecting" this GM mistake. Stack a Vega on it and you've got twice the misery.

Comment

Working...
                                X