motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: motor mounts

Anyone with a chev motor and trans in a c-k what are you using for motor and trans mounts. I know speedway sells them but is anyone got a better system.

What year engine? What trans? Speedway's are CASO priced and work well with a little modification, for Gen 1 motors. For the trans, you have to build your own.

Comment

Alan I guess I should have been a little more informative on what I had and doing. I've got a 1977 350 chev with a 350 turbo trans. Putting in a Gt hawk body and frame.

Comment

Although I will be no help here, I was reading through an issue of Turning Wheels from about 96/97 that I picked up at the Swap meet in Fremont NE and there was a short note in there about an old issue of Hot Rod Magazine from the 50's that showed how easy the swap was. This was in 58 and they showed using the Hurst front engine mount (55-57 Chevy style, side mounts hadn't been invented yet). and I think they used the Chevy stock bell housing side mount. I had to laugh when I read that.
        I am going the same direction as you swvalcon and purchased rubber biscuit mounts and side mount plates for the SBC I am going to use with hopes that they will line up with the stock engine frame mounts. I think I got them off of Amazon. I know I didn't help your situation out but want you to know you are not alone.
        I will be watching this thread so I don't have to reinvent any wheels I've got to get the frame back under the body before I attempt the engine install. My coupe body came from Mn, a lot of it must still be on the ground up there

Comment

We used this in our '53C with a 350/350. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Kit,81335.html

Alternatively, you could use this if your engine has the front bosses and are drilled: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ount,6725.html

With a couple sets of these: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...-Kit,1199.html

And these: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...unts,3278.html

And make a plate or bracket to reach the stock rear engine mount crossmember which will probably need to be modified to clear the trans pan/ torque converter.

Or, find the engine mounts from a '65-'66 Stude.

For the trans mount just drill a hole in the center of the"wing" X-member. We used this, it's pretty standard for a '58 to '82 GM. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...8aAlnyEALw_wcB

We used only the bolt in the center as many original applications did . We used a 3/16" thick plate with 4 holes in it to move the mount back a couple inches on the TH350 to reach the "wing". It worked fine that way for 28 years. We recently swapped the TH350 for a 700R4 and only needed to remove the plate for that same mount to bolt right to the trans and "wing".

The '53 firewall is different than the GT. The depression for the distributor is smaller and we are using the HEI distributor, so the engine is a tiny bit further forward than what is possible in the GT.

And, yes, we added the "wing" to the '53 when we installed the 350/350. It bolted right up to existing holes. The 700R4 (actually 4L60) behind the Stude 289 in my GT bolted right to the "wing" with this mount too.
          Last edited by bensherb; 10-07-2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

bensherb That's the one that I was looking at from speedway. I will need to get the motor and trans in the car to see what it needs for the rear mount.

Comment

Here is a vendor for motor mounts (and more) http://www.slickstreetstuff.com/

Comment

Hurst Motor Mounts

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                Although I will be no help here, I was reading through an issue of Turning Wheels from about 96/97 that I picked up at the Swap meet in Fremont NE and there was a short note in there about an old issue of Hot Rod Magazine from the 50's that showed how easy the swap was. This was in 58 and they showed using the Hurst front engine mount (55-57 Chevy style, side mounts hadn't been invented yet). and I think they used the Chevy stock bell housing side mount. I had to laugh when I read that.
                I am going the same direction as you swvalcon and purchased rubber biscuit mounts and side mount plates for the SBC I am going to use with hopes that they will line up with the stock engine frame mounts. I think I got them off of Amazon. I know I didn't help your situation out but want you to know you are not alone.
                I will be watching this thread so I don't have to reinvent any wheels I've got to get the frame back under the body before I attempt the engine install. My coupe body came from Mn, a lot of it must still be on the ground up there
                I used the complete Hurst kit back in the '70's when I installed a 350 hp 327 and 4 speed in a Stude coupe.
                The front mount was a different series than the more common mount used with Ford installations. As I remember, it was deeper. That is the mounting surface for the insulators was higher. It was also used with Dodge Lancer installations. How's that for obscure? Insulator biscuits and formed washers were '55 to '57 Chevy parts, one of each per side.
                The kit also included a special crossmember to replace the stock one under the bell housing. Early ones were modified Stude crossmembers that had been cut away and had flat plates welded in place to mate with Chevy mounts on the bell housing. It worked with a '55 to '57 Chevy bell housing with the mounts switched side for side. Later, Hurst changed the crossmember to a simple "J" channel with end plates to match the stock bolt holes in the frame.
                There was also what Hurst called a cross member stiffener. It bolted in place on the center of the crossmember where the cars with two piece driveshafts had a universal joint originally. You were supposed to cut straight down the sides of the stock opening to allow use of a one piece drive shaft. The stiffener closed off the bottom to make a useful driveshaft safety loop.
                This kit was very well engineered. Of course, finding one these days would be difficult. Remember, the front mount isn't the same as the more common part used with Fords. Surely, the '55 to '57 Chevy bell housing and mounts wouldn't be that hard to find. At least some later Chevy blocks had bosses cast in for the front mounts, even if you had to drill and tap them. The crossmember wouldn't be hard to make if you had one to copy. It is to be used with a manual transmission, and, sadly, some people consider that a disadvantage.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X