Thread: 1978 Avanti II 350 engine

Champion Member

1978 Avanti II 350 engine

Recently inherited a 1978 Avanti II along with the torque channel issue and A Pillar rust, the engine appears to be on a downward angle from front to back about 3/4 of an inch or more, Does this sound correct or do I have bigger problems.

President Member
    I would suspect the motor mounts are shot. Check them first

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    I would suspect the motor mounts are shot. Check them first
    IIRC, if the car is setting at ride height the top of the carb should be close to level. Engine it's self would be about 3 degrees down on the trans end.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    It should be up some at the front of the engine, the vibration dampner needs to clear the ball joint at the end of the steering ram. Lou Cote

Champion Member
    Thanks All, Motor mounts look ok but not definitive until I got all build up debris clear. I will check carb for level. The vibration dampner does clear the ball joint at end of steering ram. Since I'm new to this Avanti restoration endeavor, any suggestions on where to get info on rusted out A Pillars?

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorDude22 View Post
    Thanks All, Motor mounts look ok but not definitive until I got all build up debris clear. I will check carb for level. The vibration dampner does clear the ball joint at end of steering ram. Since I'm new to this Avanti restoration endeavor, any suggestions on where to get info on rusted out A Pillars?
    The rusted out A-pillars can amount to a serious issue if they have gone far enough. Have you determined the extent of the damage. If it's just in spots like my 74 it's an easy fix, if there are significant losses it might need replacement which is a major project. I'll drop two names. Brad Bez (Bezhawk) on the forum. He does quality Avanti restorations and a few pictures might help in him advising on the severity of the task. Dan Booth (Nostalgic Motors - Wixom, Mi) has the parts and also has a darn good handle on all things Avanti as he is actively involved in the business of Avanti and bought out the parts inventory when Avanti Motors went under.

This is how I repaired mine buy they weren't terrible.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...d-Frame-Repair

If you don't get reply's, start a new post titled Avanti A-pillar repair questions or something like that.

Bob
    , ,

Champion Member

Silver Hawk Member
    Here are the pictures of the A Pillars, Have sent Dan Booth an email with them as well.
    Now that's bad! Looks like you are in for a replacement. Did you talk to Dan and get an email? If not, give him a call as my experience with him is phone only for contact. He'll help you a ton once you are in contact with him. How's the frame under the car?

Bob
    , ,

Champion Member
    I did speak with Dan last week and he went at great length on how to fabricating new ones, which was a lot to digest. I did send him an email with these photos as well build sheet request. The frame appear to be sound, crossover piece at rear is solid, hog troughs will be replaced, engine mounts are good. There is rust between the two piece side rails.

President Member
    I never cease to be amazed what car manufacturers - all of them - sacrificed to save just a few dollars per car. If those pillars had been fabricated from hot dip galvanized sheet, they'd possibly still be sound, or at least repairable. Even a sloppy coat of cheap paint would have helped.

All across the country you'll see ARMCO barriers along roads. Some of them are 50 years old and still in good condition. They were hot dip galvanized when manufactured, and I'll wager it didn't add 5% to the cost.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    I never cease to be amazed what car manufacturers - all of them - sacrificed to save just a few dollars per car. If those pillars had been fabricated from hot dip galvanized sheet, they'd possibly still be sound, or at least repairable. Even a sloppy coat of cheap paint would have helped.

All across the country you'll see ARMCO barriers along roads. Some of them are 50 years old and still in good condition. They were hot dip galvanized when manufactured, and I'll wager it didn't add 5% to the cost.
    At that time, cars were built to last at least three years, not 40 (or 55) years. In the days of Avanti design/build (1962), a couple of dollars per car was a lot, especially for something that could not be seen.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    I did speak with Dan last week and he went at great length on how to fabricating new ones, which was a lot to digest. I did send him an email with these photos as well build sheet request. The frame appear to be sound, crossover piece at rear is solid, hog troughs will be replaced, engine mounts are good. There is rust between the two piece side rails.
    It sounds like you are in good hands. Dan will keep answering as long as you are asking. Please keep us in the loop as you progress as I can't recall any posts on rebuilding/replacing the entire windshield frame. Keep asking questions here also, many are glad to help.

Here's a post I did on hog troughs. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...al-Hog-Troughs But I cut the body at the rockers.

And if you haven't found Bob Johnstone's site, it's a wealth of Studebaker and Avanti repair and fab info. http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechdec2017p1g.html

Tech tips from the SDC site http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp

Avanti, Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-07-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    , ,

Champion Member
    Spoke with Dan and his opinion was the pillars would have to be cut out down into the body of the car. Waiting to get more opinions. On a good note the vehicle does run. However, considering what on the vehicle needs attention & cost $$$, i.e., Torque boxes / channels, interior, fiberglass repair and replacing 40 year old parts, it quickly becoming a parts vehicle.

Silver Hawk Member
    "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti." -- John Poulos