Thread: The silent sliding valve system of the Whippet...

President Member

The silent sliding valve system of the Whippet...

To me the nearly silent sliding valves were the most unique features of this car yet everything I've read on line doesn't even mention it.

Just wondering out loud...

President Member
    The reason Whippet isn't cited with silent sleeve valves is its engine wasn't a Knight-licensed engine design, it has poppet valves. Whippet was Willys-Overland's lowest-priced line, Willys-Knights were their middle and upper priced models. The additional machining and complexity of the Knight sleeve valve apparatus largely kept the engine out of low priced cars. The Willys-Overland-Knight Registry (WOKR) site has detailed information on this unique engine. And the exhaust does indeed have a whooshing sound.

Steve

President Member
    Several years ago I read and saw a diagram on how this engines worked. Truly a marvel of engineering. As the cars got older, they actually ran better do to the carbon built up on the sleeves, according to the article I reading. Here is a link on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_engine

If you click on the link at the reference section, there are two you tube videos of a cut a way model and a 1908 start up. What doomed the engine was the advances in engineering for the conventional "poppet valve" engine.

Bob Miles

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Several years ago I read and saw a diagram on how this engines worked. Truly a marvel of engineering. As the cars got older, they actually ran better do to the carbon built up on the sleeves, according to the article I reading. Here is a link on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_engine

If you click on the link at the reference section, there are two you tube videos of a cut a way model and a 1908 start up. What doomed the engine was the advances in engineering for the conventional "poppet valve" engine.

Bob Miles
    Interesting comment on wikipedia. I was talking to the mechanic that restores the Knight technology engines at the Gilmore Museum and he said that carbon buildup was one of the downsides of the engine design.

Eye of the beholder I guess.

Bob
    , ,