Ignition switch lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ignition switch lock

Before I order a whole new switch, when it appears as if it's the lock not working properly, what is the difference between #155547 key and lock and #525809, coded to specific key #?

Since the key started spinning in the ignition switch, in my '60 Lark VI wagon, not long after purchase of the replacement ignition switch, only engaging properly if you pressed in on the lock and turned, it seems that a 3 year old ignition switch isn't the problem, it has more to do with the lock/ignition switch engagement. Earlier this week, the key wouldn't engage anymore in the ignition switch even when you pushed on it, as had been the case for months.

Has anyone come up with a workaround, or a particular lock tumbler that works better in this ignition switch? I took the tumbler and ignition switch into a locksmith who's rekeyed the switch in the car the first time I replaced the whole ignition switch about 3 years ago, after the switch in the car already there started acting up (key spinning around in that switch).

My 58 Packard was like that --for 20 yrs-- I finally fixed it. There is a tiny little pin that holds the cylinder in the switch and the switch was just worn in the groove the little pin goes in. I replaced switch with a used one and it works fine. Unfortunately replacement parts are made in china crap. I guess thats the case with you. See if you can find a good used one.

Comment

Thanks. Though disappointing, it confirms my impression of what went on which is psychologically helpful with the problem at least.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
        Before I order a whole new switch, when it appears as if it's the lock not working properly, what is the difference between #155547 key and lock and #525809, coded to specific key #?/Cut/
        The 1555547 is is a YALE Lock and Key, the Key can only be matched to a YALE Door Lock, pre-1960 Models had HURD Locks on Commanders and all V8 Cars.
        The Yale Locks were only used on 6 Cyl. Cars and Champions previously.

S.I. does not list 525809 so I don't know what that is about, probably a Hurd.

But, Key Cuts are not associated with Part Numbers, only the Key Code on the Original Key Tag and the Production Order relates to the "Cut".
        Keys are sold as Blanks, they are only Cut when included in a Lock.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X