Thread: Colour Codes Needed

Commander Member

Colour Codes Needed

I am hoping some of you can help me with some colour codes that were used on Canadian built cars and trucks. They would be Bermuda Green, Tahoe Green, Chippewa Green, Maui Blue, Lombard Green and Nocturne Blue. These colours would have been available in the late '40s and early '50s at least.

Perhaps someone has a vehicle with one of these colours and can tell me what colour code was used on the colour plate. Thanks.

Would these be different from US cars? Are you looking for the original codes or something current for painting today?

FWIW:

My '53 is Chippewa Green with Lombard Green roof. In 2001 I got Dupont Centari from the paint supply in Chippewa Green. For the Lombard Green I used a paint chip book and matched it "really close" to 1971 Dodge Truck Pine Green #2 (I think it was #2...) in Dupont Mason.

Jeff in ND

Commander Member
    Yes, the colours used in Canada were different than those used in the US. Or maybe the colours were the same and they just used different names.

So if I understand it correctly you were able to get a Dupont Centari paint called Chippewa Green, that matched the green on your '53? Did it have a number associated with it and did you buy a spray bomb or a can of paint? Were these two colours original to your '53 and do you still have the paint plate on the vehicle? If so there should be a paint number/code.

While on paints, does anyone know the paint code for the tan/beige used on the dash on the glove box and around the instruments?
    Last edited by my2R5; 10-04-2018 at 09:06 PM.

In Fred Fox's 2R truck article in June '85 TW he says Canadian trucks 'were generally offered in automobile colors'. He also said evidently the colors used corresponded with the model year they were used on cars. The tan/beige you asked about was changed to a lighter shade every couple years on US trucks and maybe/probably on Canadian trucks too. Originally it was Cuban Tan, then Tuscin Tan, followed by Pilot Gray.

trk.colors0001.jpg
    trk.colors0002.jpg

Commander Member
    Thanks Dwain, that's perfect. I don't know where you find this stuff. Fox's article is where I got the names I posted. I don't have a colour plate for my truck so I'm trying to figure out what colour it is.

Were the 2R trucks ever offered in two tones? I've seen later trucks with the upper cab a different colour than the rest of the body, but that may not have been original. I think it looks really sharp. I know they offered it in some of the Studebaker sedans and coupes, just don't know about the trucks.

Silver Hawk Member
    Two-tone trucks were first offered late in the 1955 model year, so no. There is a factory (B&W) photo showing four such E-series trucks on a car carrier with an appropriate banner.

Fleet customers could order any combination of colors they wanted in all years, and individual customers could specify non-factory color combinations that the dealer would execute before delivery.

Commander Member
    Well it would appear getting codes doesn't help. I eventually located the Dulux and Duco paint codes the various greens I was interested in. It turns out these codes were never carried over to either the new company they became or when they were bought out. I went to an autobody paint place and they could not get any info using either the colour or the paint code. Even scanning the paint itself they could not get a good enough match to ensure it would be the same colour. I've now gone the route of using paint chips, but that doesn't help me identify the original colour of the truck. I'm pretty sure it is original as I can't find another colour anywhere on the truck, and I've stripped the interior, and its single stage. The colour is a blue green. More blue in it than Clover Green.

You say the truck does not have a 'colour plate'. Does that mean the plate found at rear of driver's side step, facing forward, is not there?

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain G. View Post
    You say the truck does not have a 'colour plate'. Does that mean the plate found at rear of driver's side step, facing forward, is not there?
    Correct. There is no colour plate, only the VIN plate.

That makes it tough, ....and I don't think you can get a production order for a Canadian truck.
    Not all those colors were available all years, so if we knew what year your truck is we can narrow down the possibilities somewhat. Especially with a couple photos, exterior and interior.