Indy Honor Flight Oct 20, 2018 - Studebaker Employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Honor Flight Oct 20, 2018 - Studebaker Employee

My dad, John Loughlin will be on the Indy Honor Flight to Washington DC on October 20. Dad enlisted in the Navy when he turned 18 in 1944 and served in Okinawa through 1946. He was in the SeeBees building all types of things in the Pacific. When he returned from the war he spent a couple year (50-51) working for Studebaker in South Bend. There he worked on the paint line entering paint codes into a Telex/Teletype machine to coordinate painting of various different components. He was also a union steward for S.B. Local 5.

Dad is currently 92 years old and is in assisted living but he is up for a full day of travel to DC. 89 veterans will be returning to Plainfield High School the evening of 10/20 arriving around 9:30 at night. If anyone in the area wants to come out and welcome the veterans, I know they would appreciate it. I will be traveling with my dad and my extended family will be there as well to celebrate.

If anyone wants to send him an encouraging note that he will get to read on the flight home, please mail it by Oct 12 to:

Operation Mail Call
    Indy Honor Flight 28
    John Joseph Loughlin
    PO Box 10
    Plainfield, Indiana 46168

Thanks in advance. This club is full of great people. I already have a couple Indy SDC friends sending letters and planning on attending!

Neil Loughlin
    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona Hardtop
    1962 Champ Truck
    1957 Golden Hawk

I was just in DC for business and due to circumstances beyond my control got to sit at Reagan airport for 5 hours. During that time an Honor Flight with 17 to 20 or so vets landed. The gate was decorated with Red, White, and Blue bunting and the announcement was made that the flight was deplaning. There were 6 gates at that area and everyone came over and applauded as the vets came out -- many in wheel chairs. It was pretty cool. I think they were all a little surprised at the reception. This went on for 10 plus minutes as they all came (slowly) out of the plane, at least half in wheelchairs. My hands were actually sore the next day. Try clapping enthusiastically for 10 minutes sometime!

They all lined up for photos in the concourse and it looked like a pretty fun group. Wish I could have been with them at the monuments.

Comment

Neil,
      I will not be at the meet & greet nor the Homecoming, my neice is getting married on the 20th! I tried to talk her into changing the date, but it didn't work!

I will send out a card for your Father!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks for sending a card Jim! I appreciate all you do for IHF and for the club! Have fun at the wedding.
        Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona Hardtop
        1962 Champ Truck
        1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Neil,
          I'd probably have a better time at the Homecoming! <G> Besides, where else can you meet a large group of Real Heros!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

If my plans work out I will travel to DC on October 17 on Honor Flight Northeast Indiana departing from Fort Wayne. Everyone must have a companion/chaperone. My son from Deckerville, MI will accompany me. He happens to be a vet, also. I am looking forward to and appreciate the opportunity, as I will see the Viet Nam Memorial which was not present when I was last in Washington.
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Bob,
              Thanks for your Service! Enjoy the flight, it will be a Very long day, but one you will not forget! Trust me! Since our very first flight on September 10, 2012, we have flown about 2500 WWII, Korean and Vietnam Veterans to DC at NO charge to them.
              I still keep in contact with the ones that I was a guardian, some have passed, but My first Veteran when I asked him where he was stationed in WWII, he looked around at his wife, and the floor, and I was thinking oh great he handed out boots at Camp Atterberry,. He looks at me and says, "Oh, I landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day"! I still get chills when I tell that to people! I told him "i'd never really talked to a real Hero before" His comment back, (as most of the WWII Veterans) "I'm no hero, the heroes are the boys who didn't come home"
              There IS a reason they were nicknamed the Greatest Generation.
              I have done about 10 of our flights, as a Guardian, Asst. Bus Captain, and a Bus Captain. Of all, being a Guardian was the most enjoyable, as I spent about 15 hours with my Veteran.
              When I was a Bus Captain, I did not have a single Veteran, but, I was responsible for ALL 26 Veterans on my bus. (as well as the Guardians) Being involved with The Indy Honor Flight has been THE most rewarding thing that I have ever done.
              IF not for the millions of Veterans, past, present, and future, WE would not be able to enjoy our freedom.

Thanks to ALL of you that have served!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Quote..I have done about 10 of our flights, as a Guardian, Asst. Bus Captain, and a Bus Captain. Of all, being a Guardian was the most enjoyable, as I spent about 15 hours with my Veteran.
                When I was a Bus Captain, I did not have a single Veteran, but, I was responsible for ALL 26 Veterans on my bus. (as well as the Guardians) Being involved with The Indy Honor Flight has been THE most rewarding thing that I have ever done.
                IF not for the millions of Veterans, past, present, and future, WE would not be able to enjoy our freedom."Quote

Jim: You have and are making a great contribution to the vets and you are serving in your own way. You, Dennis C., and other volunteers make it happen. Thank you.
                Last edited by Bob Bryant; 10-07-2018, 07:41 PM.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Bob,
                  Thank You, but, "It's NOT about me, it's about them" That's a direct quote that I stole from our then Governor, Now Vice President Mike Pence! The first time he cam to our homecoming, he walked up to me and asked, "where do you want me to stand" I told him since he was the Governor of our Great State, he could pick any place he wanted. I also aske him if he would like to address the crowd, and his response was, NO, "It's not about me, it's all about them"
                  Like him or not, He gained a LOT of my respect that night! After the last Veteran came into the Plainfield High gym, he and Karen (along with a BIG State Trooper) quietly walked out and left. If someone yelled his name, he would look that way and wave. He never did speak to the crowd.

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Very cool, Neil. I'll get a "mail call" card out to your Dad today (October 10). BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Bob! I'll post some pictures here when we get back.
                      Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop
                      1962 Champ Truck
                      1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I'll try to post a couple pictures from my dad's honor flight to Washington DC. The first is from the Indy airport on our way out. By coincidence, my niece was flying out at the same time and stopped by greet us. The second is my dad at the Lincoln memorial. The third is the welcome home celebration at the highschool. The picture being held over my dad is him in his Navy uniform when he was 18 yrs old.

He got to spend time at the WWII memorial, Lincoln memorial, Vietnam memorial, Korean war memorial, Arlington cemetery, Air Force memorial and lots of other places. He (and I) were exhausted but had a great day.

Thanks to all who sent notes or were able to come to the welcome home celebration. Dad got a big packet of notes from many kind people.

Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop
                        1962 Champ Truck
                        1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Nice! You guys covered some ground there!

Comment

Nice Photos! So Neil, what time did you get up on Sunday?? LOL It's an extremely long day, but goes by so fast. Were you able to find Kilroy at the WWII Memorial?,
                            It is also a day that you and your Father will never forget! In about 3-4 months, he will get a photo book of the flight. Before we had an "official" Indy Honor Flight photographer, we downloaded all of the memory cards from everybody, the first flight we had 3,300, the second well over 10,000. It was taking 3 people the whole hour and 18 minute flight from DC to Indy.
                            Glad you had a great time, 4-6 months of planning go into each flight, ALL volunteers. The Honor Flight network, has over 135 hubs throughout the USA. One of the BEST organizations to make a donation to, as with our hub, 98.6% of the donations go directly to getting Veterans to DC. It's an AWESOME group!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Correct Jim, it was a long day. We left dad's apartment at 4am and returned at 1am. That is a long day for a 92 year old! I took lots of photos and some videos. We had many Indy area friends make it to the welcome ceremony at the high school. Dad was thrilled. Everyone associated with IHF was super. Lots of volunteer hours in action to pull that trip off. Even American Airlines participated. The airplane was decorated, the airport gates were decorated and the ground crew were waving flags as the airplane taxied in. So many nice people doing great work!
                              Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop
                              1962 Champ Truck
                              1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X