Senior Discounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Discounts

Perhaps this is a local thing, but I have noted a shift in senior discounts, again.

About 25-30 years ago, 65 was the age that most used for senior discounts. Over the years, the age decreased to 60, 55 or even 50. Recently, the age has gone the other way. Most places now again use 65, some eliminated the senior discount entirely and one that I noticed says that you must be over 80 to get the senior price.

This is just an observation, not a complaint. Have others noticed anything similar?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I received my first 'seniors' discount a few years ago at a Shilo Inn on my way to Portland. I never asked, nor expected it, but when she saw my D.O.B on my driver's licence, she stated Shilo Inn offers a senior's discount starting at age 55 and gave me the lower rate.

Craig

Comment

I have not heard about the age for seniors' discounts going up. I do know that I still get my free "senior drinks" at Wendy's and have for quite some time, but I am over 65... Our local Harris-Teeter grocery store gives a discount to people over 50 on Thursdays.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I know Denny's used to be 55,but haven't been there for a long time. the only senior discount I've received lately was at 'The House on the Rock" in Wisconsin. 'over 62.'
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          Our local Harris-Teeter grocery store gives a discount to people over 50 on Thursdays.
          Our H-T here gives seniors 5% off on Wednesdays.

But the best discount I get is county property taxes. Over 65, it saves me about $500.

Comment

Having crossed the threshold to 60 a few years ago I guess my age is showing since I, at times, get the discount without even asking for it. About the only place I go that a discount is applicable is Souplantation. The $8.39 cost on a $12.49 meal is a good deal (before 5pm).

With many people living longer, many well into their 90's+, a discount at 50 would account for nearly half their life. I'll probably ruffle a few feathers here but just about any age has an argument for a discount. The unemployed, single parent, college students, disabled to mention a few. Those that were born about 1930 knew little of the good life what with the Depression and WW II. However, for the intelligent, well educated or the hard working life was generally an upward progression. Today's kids see just the opposite. They are told that they are entitled everything and they travel life living through a debt ridden life with far less job security. It might be coming to the point were the “discount” flip flops – at least according to need.

While a senior discount brings a smile to my face, I accept them with a degree of hesitancy. I would not by any means call myself wealthy but my needs are met. And if those who are less well of than myself are called upon to compensate for my discount (as say.., the regular price being set) then I struggle with that. Perhaps it is just that I live on the lower end of a relatively wealthy area and I don't see seniors "struggling" to get by.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

My mom hated being old enough to qualify for a senior discount but she made damn sure she got her discount. I threatened to get her a t-shirt that said "Senior Citizen...Give Me My Damn Discount!"

She said "I won't wear it...I won't!"
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I'm not smart enough to ever ask for a senior discount, and am not aware of ever paying less for anything; well, with one exception: my wife always remembers when we go to the movies, so I do get that one.

The discount (which really wasn't really a discount at all) that meant the most to me was one I didn't ask for. The (sole) DC auto inspection station is government-run and notoriously slow. Lines are long and a ten-minute safety and emissions inspection can take 60 or 90 minutes, especially (for unknown reasons) in summer. A few years ago I pulled up on the apron and was dismayed to see 20 or 30 cars in each line. The attendant directing traffic asked me whether I was over 60. When I said "yes", he sent me to a special line with only one other car in it. Sometimes it's worth it to be old.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  I'm not smart enough to ever ask for a senior discount, and am not aware of ever paying less for anything; well, with one exception: my wife always remembers when we go to the movies, so I do get that one.

The discount (which really wasn't really a discount at all) that meant the most to me was one I didn't ask for. The (sole) DC auto inspection station is government-run and notoriously slow. Lines are long and a ten-minute safety and emissions inspection can take 60 or 90 minutes, especially (for unknown reasons) in summer. A few years ago I pulled up on the apron and was dismayed to see 20 or 30 cars in each line. The attendant directing traffic asked me whether I was over 60. When I said "yes", he sent me to a special line with only one other car in it. Sometimes it's worth it to be old.
                  No it isn't. I'd sit in that long line if I could get 40 years back. <G>
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    No it isn't. I'd sit in that long line if I could get 40 years back. <G>
                    Good point. On that I will agree with you.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Best deal in the U.S. is the lifetime Senior Pass to the national parks. Got mine at 62 & it only cost $10.00. I think it's now raised, but still a great deal.

Comment

The age for discounts varies widely by company, as well as location, and even by day of the week. It should be noted, even though senior discounts may be policy, you will receive very few of them unless you ask. Don't be shy. You've earned it.

"The Senior List" is updated each year and, if you are unaware of a discount, chances are you won't know to request it.
                        This list is worth looking over more than once a year.

While some business have discontinued their senior discounts, others have added new deals for older adults that start as young as 50.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                          Best deal in the U.S. is the lifetime Senior Pass to the national parks. Got mine at 62 & it only cost $10.00. I think it's now raised, but still a great deal.
                          Yes; August 2017 it was increased to $80.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

New York state raised the senior hunting and fishing license age from 65 to 70, and an organization I belong to raised the senior age from 55 to 65. I was getting it up to a few years ago, and now I pay full shot for one more year.
                            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Let's not have any of this "I was getting it up to a few years ago" talk. I'm still too young.

Comment

Working...
                              X